The Student Room Group

Most difficult A-Level subjects?

Scroll to see replies

Maths
Physics
Further Maths
Chemistry

Easiest to hardest. But oddly I do worse in physics than chemistry..:s-smilie:
Physics, Economics, then further maths (including maths)
Biology

/thread

(Biology, German, Chemistry)
How are people even SUGGESTING that Biology is harder than Chemistry?!

I got an A in Biology, and a D in Chemistry at AS.This was through a year of relatively little to no work.
Reply 44
hardest= Btec medical science
Accounting
easiest= Maths
Original post by 123456789012
Maths was definitely one of the easiest subjects for me as well. Biology is probably the hardest science IMO.

Biology? Hard? You're kidding right? How?
Original post by Vicky628
Maths
Physics
Further Maths
Chemistry

Easiest to hardest. But oddly I do worse in physics than chemistry..:s-smilie:

Physics is definitely harder than Chem! Chem concepts are relatively straightforward in my opinion.
Hardest to Easiest
Chemistry Spanish Biology Maths
but its only been like 9 weeks in so
It's difficult in the sense that it's harder to get A's and A*'s in due to fact that the mark schemes tend to be really pedantic, so if you miss out a word or phrase your answer is incorrect and you've lost all marks. Chemistry mark schemes are much nore lenient in this regard. No doubt, Biology concepts are easy to understand, but then there's a lot of memorisation involved too.
Well it was a few years ago for me now, but from easiest to hardest:

Geography
Maths
History
Further Maths
It's difficult in the sense that it's harder to get A's and A*'s in due to fact that the mark schemes tend to be really pedantic, so if you miss out a word or phrase your answer is incorrect and you've lost all marks. Chemistry mark schemes are much nore lenient in this regard. No doubt, Biology concepts are easy to understand, but then there's a lot of memorisation involved too.

Well, I guess theres that too. I personally found it easier to get an A* grade in A2 Level Biology than A2 Chemistry but that's a personal work thing I think. Btw, where in the scheme of difficulty would you consider Geology?
Original post by TrojanH
How are people even SUGGESTING that Biology is harder than Chemistry?!

I got an A in Biology, and a D in Chemistry at AS.This was through a year of relatively little to no work.

There's a lot more memorisation involved in Biology than Chemistry, and also the mark scheme answers for Biology tend to be really specific so it's harder to get the marks.
Latin is more work intensive than Biology, Chemistry and Maths combined - I can tell you this from experience
I feel like law should be much higher than that
Original post by yasaminO_o
Latin is more work intensive than Biology, Chemistry and Maths combined - I can tell you this from experience

How can learning a language be more intensive than three difficult subjects combined? Find it hard to believe. Shouldn't learning Latin be okay especially since a lot of modern English comes from Latin roots.
How can learning a language be more intensive than three difficult subjects combined? Find it hard to believe. Shouldn't learning Latin be okay especially since a lot of modern English comes from Latin roots.

There are about 25 grammar charts you need to know, there's no set vocabulary list at A2, you need to be proficient in scanning hexameter and pentameter, learn two texts (for me it was Aeneid book 4 and Sallust chapters 14-29) in both Latin and English, write two very detailed analytical essays on both the text and broader context relating to Roman society in an hour in each exam as well as translate about 10 lines of uneditted original unseen text from Livy and Ovid and analyse them in each exam as well. It's an extremely heavy workload. It's quite easy at AS but at A2 things get seriously hard. You're very VERY short for time in the exams too.
Also I'm bilingual, took 5 language GCSEs and also did French and Classical Greek at AS, Latin A2 so I don't generally find languages difficult, but Latin A2's workload makes it an almost Hellish experience - "almost" because it was quite an interesting subject in class.
(edited 8 years ago)
easiest: Psychology
Politics
History
hardest: English Lit
There are about 25 grammar charts you need to know, there's no set vocabulary list at A2, you need to be proficient in scanning hexameter and pentameter, learn two texts (for me it was Aeneid book 4 and Sallust chapters 14-29) in both Latin and English, write two very detailed analytical essays on both the text and broader context relating to Roman society in an hour in each exam as well as about 10 lines of uneditted original unseen text from Livy and Ovid and analyse them in each exam as well. It's an extremely heavy workload. It's quite easy at AS but at A2 things get seriously hard. You're very VERY short for time in the exams too.

Hmm, fair enough.. is it 100% exam-based btw? I see your point though that there's a lot of stuff to be memorised.
Hmm, fair enough.. is it 100% exam-based btw? I see your point though that there's a lot of stuff to be memorised.

Yeah, it's 100% exam based, all equally weighted
Yeah, it's 100% exam based, all equally weighted

That's not too bad then; I'd prefer exams over coursework any day. Have you done Maths, Chem and Bio as well then?

Quick Reply

Latest