The Student Room Group

The Pupillage Interview/Acceptance/Rejection Thread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Barr23
I was very concerned with a post here about 15nbs pulling their pupillage vacancy, as I spent a lot of time on the application. So I called then and I'm glad to find out that this is not the case. I was advised that they are still going through the applications and would contact candidates soon.

Although she refused to specify any timescale when we should expect to hear back, but at least the process is still ongoing.

Thanks for calling! That is a big relief as I also heard that rumour and was concerned since the section that required you to rank the different skills took me ages!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey everyone, first time poster in the pupillage threads.

I'm a 2nd year applicant, and I've been invited for 3 first-rounds so far, one of which I had this week. Hoping for some joy this year and thought it would be a good idea to participate here!
Original post by LegalLab
I would try not to let it get to you which is so much easier said than done I know. But there have been a number of sets I thought I completely fitted the profile for, particularly a number of regional sets where I have shown a clear commitment to the region, and iv been rejected but then I have received interviews from sets which I thought were completely out of my league. It's such an arbitrary process.

Original post by Barr23
You shouldn't be. Goldsmiths is the only PG set that have rejected me so far and i've had final rounds at top sets like 42BR in the past. So don't let this or any other rejections get you down….we are all on the same boat! :smile:

Thanks both of you. That's reassuring to know. I will continue to remain optimistic whilst I still have fingers in some pies.
Any news on:
1 pump court
New Court Chambers
4 Brick Court
4KBW
Coram

? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
3PB (London) gateway status changed to first interview but no email yet
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1945
3PB (application for the common law Winchester pupillage) just changed to unsuccessful on gateway but no email
Original post by SIE2013
Any news on:
1 pump court
New Court Chambers
4 Brick Court
4KBW
Coram

? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wonder if this has confused anyone else - I found out when applying that there are two 4KBWs, one .co.uk and one .net. Both completely different sites and contact details. I applied to the .net one with a CV and letter and got a reply asking what I'm applying for. I said pupillage, as advertised on the website. They replied asking me if I could send them the link to where on the website they had advertised pupillage. Haven't heard back since.
3PB London - Unsuccessful on GW - No E-mail
Original post by pgpupilchaser
3PB London - Unsuccessful on GW - No E-mail[/

Same here
3PB interview invite via email and gateway change :smile:

Also, I just received a St Philip's selection evening invite, so those who havent heard shouldn't give up hope just yet!
Unless their website as changed, the .net one is offering a first six pupillage. what the hell is that? What happens after the six months?
Broadway House rejection out
Anyone hear from 1 Pump Court, 1 Grays Inn Sq, Charter or Garden Court?

Posted from TSR Mobile
9 BR interview invite.

Anyone have any advice or knowledge of their interviews? Many thanks in advance!
FYI, St Ives are extending their application deadline (date TBC, see website)
Original post by Not Amused
Is that a lot? I thought that was about average.

I'm starting to feel a bit despondent now - without wanting to put them down, Goldsmiths were my fallback plan and now I'm thinking if I can't even get shortlisted for them, what are my chances on some of the other heavyweight chambers on which I'm still waiting responses??? :frown:

Most GW chambers will receive somewhere around 300 applications, non-GW will receive slightly fewer.

Chambers that offer 2 pupillages will typically interview around 50 people for first round. So your chances of being shortlisted for first round are 1 in 6. Luck will inevitably play a big part.
Original post by pupillagehunt0
Most GW chambers will receive somewhere around 300 applications, non-GW will receive slightly fewer.

I wonder why that is the case. At first glance I would have expected it to be the other way around given that someone can make as many non-GW applications as they like, but only 12 (?) GW applications. Is it just that non-GW applications are more time-consuming which puts applicants off?

Chambers that offer 2 pupillages will typically interview around 50 people for first round. So your chances of being shortlisted for first round are 1 in 6. Luck will inevitably play a big part.

No doubt luck plays a big part but I don't think that calculation really works unless every applicant was a clone and the set literally picked at random between them. Some people probably have a 1 in 1 chance of being shortlisted, others a 1 in 1,000,000 chance :smile:
Hello. Does anyone know what we should expect from the 6KBW second rounds?
Original post by pjs736_student
Unless their website as changed, the .net one is offering a first six pupillage. what the hell is that? What happens after the six months?

They advertise first six pupillages so they have the option of dropping pupils after six months. Having spoken to a tenant there they do actually do this in cases where they don't think the pupil has what it takes at the end of their first six.
Has anyone even received a confirmation from linenhall?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending