The Student Room Group

A Level Help For Medicine!!

Well I'm definitely planning to do medicine at university, possibly QUB or UCL. I'm going to take A Level Chemistry, Biology and I'm stuck on what else!
I really like Geography so I think I might do it for A2 as its a facilitating subject and also I was going to do History but it looks extremely boring at A2 Level.
But I don't know what do to for my fourth. When I do medicine and graduate I want to be a consultant in psychiatry/neuropsychiatry/neurology, working with children and adolescents.
I might take maths AS but I'm not sure, I'm not very good at it, my sixth form offers Psychology A Level but I've heard it's a 'soft' subject.
Can someone give me a good combination of A Levels for medicine, please! It'll be of great help🙂
Thank you😄
Reply 1
Original post by Shapsharks
Well I'm definitely planning to do medicine at university, possibly QUB or UCL. I'm going to take A Level Chemistry, Biology and I'm stuck on what else!
I really like Geography so I think I might do it for A2 as its a facilitating subject and also I was going to do History but it looks extremely boring at A2 Level.
But I don't know what do to for my fourth. When I do medicine and graduate I want to be a consultant in psychiatry/neuropsychiatry/neurology, working with children and adolescents.
I might take maths AS but I'm not sure, I'm not very good at it, my sixth form offers Psychology A Level but I've heard it's a 'soft' subject.
Can someone give me a good combination of A Levels for medicine, please! It'll be of great help🙂
Thank you😄

most common a level combination for medicine is chemistry,biology,maths
or all three sciences is also common . the fourth AS subject can be anything really.
Original post by Shapsharks
Thank you😄

Geography is fine. Psychology is not a soft subject. You don't need maths at all (unless you want to go to Cambridge).

As long as you have bio and chem, the most important thing is picking subjects you can get As in.
Reply 3
There's no 'good combination' of subjects for medicine just as long as you definitely have chem and possibly bio (to keep your options open to more med schools) but if you're considering oxbridge for example then you'll definitely need three sciences so you'll also have to do physics, maths etc. Do what you enjoy for your fourth, or try something new like economics or psychology? Good luck for whatever you choose :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending