The Student Room Group

Help with A-Level choices

Hiya.

I am currently in year 11 and so I need to choose my a-levels very soon. Up until recently, my school has always recommended taking 4 a-levels and then dropping one after 1 year but the schools in my town have now become a joint sixth-form and now suggest taking only 3 a-levels (because apparently as levels don't count towards anything any more??).

I know that I definitely want to take:

Geography

Philosophy, ethics and religion

English literature.

What I want to read at university is still undecided, but I'm thinking about law or english, maybe.

However, I really love photography and was thinking about taking it as either a 4th a-level or an extended project, perhaps. My art teacher approached me today after looking through the photography portfolio I have been making as part of my GCSE coursework. He said was really impressed by my work and then asked why I wasn't considering photography as it would be a great opportunity for me and that it would be 'a crying shame' if I didn't choose it as an option. So now I am stuck and unable to decide as to whether I should change one of my original 3, take photography as a 4th a-level or just take it an an extended project.

I was just wondering whether anybody who has taken 4 a-levels could give me any advice as to how much of a workload it is and whether you could manage it well. A first hand opinion would be really appreciated.

Thank you!
Reply 1
I'm taking 4 as levels at the moment in Geography, English Language& Literature, History of Art and World Development
The workload is okay as long as you keep up (thus far)
My friend is doing photography and she says it's time consuming as a lot of practical elements are involved. If you are good with keeping up and planning ahead, then I'd go for 4 as subjects, if you dislike one then you can drop one whereas if you do 3 and dislike one, you cannot drop one because university requirements are obviously 3 full a levels. They suggest it, but go with what you feel is best! I definitely think try 4 and if it really doesn't work out in first 4-5 weeks of sixth form, drop one.

Quick Reply

Latest