The Student Room Group

High maintenance?

My friends and flatmates have called me high maintenance in the past. I've always been taken aback by this because I disagree. I'm not emotionally needy or clingy in any way. I'm the most laid back person I know. 😂 I'll admit that I do spend a lot of time primping myself and so on, but I just want to look glamorous. I like nice things but I have a part time job so I can buy myself nice stuff. I also hold everyone and everything to a high standard because I always set high goals for myself.

My male friend told me that the above traits make me difficult to date. On one hand I can see his point. However, I feel as though I'm perfectly fine. Yes, I'm a slight perfectionist. But I think it's good to be aspirational. Will my attitude hold me back when I want to start dating?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Hi :smile:
My advice would be to just be yourself and do things that make you happy! It's perfectly fine to enjoy looking after yourself and having high standards etc, just make sure, however, that it's not getting to the point where you are turning down people or opportunities where you could have a great time or having goals or standards that are so high or specific that you don't appreciate all the little things in life. Just make sure that you're keeping an open mind and giving things a chance because happiness doesn't always mean everything being perfect and exactly how you imagined!
I hope this helps you! xx
Original post by G-mute1995
My friends and flatmates have called me high maintenance in the past. I've always been taken aback by this because I disagree. I'm not emotionally needy or clingy in any way. I'm the most laid back person I know. 😂 I'll admit that I do spend a lot of time primping myself and so on, but I just want to look glamorous. I like nice things but I have a part time job so I can buy myself nice stuff. I also hold everyone and everything to a high standard because I always set high goals for myself.

My male friend told me that the above traits make me difficult to date. On one hand I can see his point. However, I feel as though I'm perfectly fine. Yes, I'm a slight perfectionist. But I think it's good to be aspirational. Will my attitude hold me back when I want to start dating?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Never settle for anything less than what you think you are worth. Do what you want as long as you are happy doing so. Aspiration is only natural to people unless you are some leftist.
Do you have fake hair, nails and wear plenty of makeup?
Do you take over 1 hour to get ready even if you're not going somewhere special?
Do you always have to look 'glamorous'

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Part of being high maintenance is not realising you're high maintenance. This said the things you describe don't seem bad and the best thing to do is to decide if you want to take any feedback on board, or not.
People who know what they want are not understood by those who don't.

Things people do not understand, they fear.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
yeh are a bit
Reply 7

Posted from TSR Mobile

To answer your question in the title, that sounds like high maintenance to me. In all honesty it's kinda like Marmite in the way that some will love those traits and others will hate them

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending