The Student Room Group

Can't be bothered to revise, not motivated..

I am studying my as levels in year 12; Biology,Chemistry and psychology. I am never motivated I always feel tired when I get home. I can never fall asleep early I feel tired throughout the day, I never want to go to college. I'm getting grades of U's and E's. Whenever I do revise I still get poor grades. How can I motivate myself or make myself revise and not feel tired?
Your loss. Let other people overtake you in life if you're content with being below average and mediocre. :rolleyes:
Energy drinks [Red Bull and Monster help me stay up and do lots of work]

Get motivated, by doing nothing you will screw yourself over if you don't change.

Think that if you have to retake stuff next year it will detract your ability overall maybe?

Then again I don't know if your AS's are worth anything as in any percentage overall.
Reply 3
I wouldn't advise on the energy drink front, I think it's a bad idea to start drinking those^
--
You're going have to find the fundamental thoughts behind all of your negative statements OP, aka:

- Why do you feel so tired (not enough sleep, or emotionally exhausted, or lack of decent food?)
- Why do you hate college (atmosphere, the subjects?, teachers?, friends?)
- Why are you getting poor grades despite revising (not going in? bad revision techniques? stressed when revising?)

etc.

You also should be very careful as it sounds as if you're degrading your self esteem based on the grades you're achieving - do not do this. You need to accept you will face some hurdles and might not do well, but you absolutely can improve and achieve more, so do not let a handful of "bad" grades get you down.

Additionally, please don't think you >need< motivation to do anything. This is a very flawed, but common, way of thinking - instead you will need to actually FORCE yourself to do things e.g. revise, regardless of how you feel motivation-wise.
**** me, I'm pissed because I've had a couple Bs. Just doing the set work and understanding it should take you above a U
I have the same problem, but I'm getting around Cs(target grade) already, I feel like I'm already there as I feel that I've been put down by my a-level prediction. I don't know how to motivate myself to get Bs in every subject minimum
Visualise the consequences of failure. Let it terrify you. If it doesn't, you're screwed.
I am in the same situation! However, I have started making a timetable of not just work, but include relaxing time, having everything planned out made me feel more organised and relaxed as it is! Turn your phone off early, I aim for about 8:30 (can be later but I follow it by relaxing music) for half an hour or so in a dark room. Try cutting out all you aspire to achieve and create a board with all your goals! (such as your career, the car you want, the holiday you dreamed of going) this way you will be motivated to achieve your goals. Try eating a little more healthier (not going on a complete diet) but try limiting how many times you eat greasy foods etc, I just swapped normal tea to green tea and milk chocolate to dark chocolate, you do it to your preference. (i'd say stay away from energy drinks etc) Also try a hot chocolate or hot milk about half an hour or so before bed, nothing with much Caffeine, To help revise, have you done an online free test to see what your learning style is? This can help massively, giving you examples of the best way you learn personally. Likewise, stay away from your phone!! turn it off, give it a parent or someone near by, people get distracted by this whilst revising. If you don't want to set aside your phone set a timer and everytime you check your phone during studying pause it; therefore you'll see how much it distracts you. Study in small intervals. Half an hour, 45 minutes, even 15 minutes, it's about your personal preference. Do not leave anything to last minute, try doing any work set asap, even if you start it and don't finish it the same day, better to complete work set as soon as you can then go over it in the learning style that suites you rather then cramming it in. When you feel tired do not work. Don't force yourself to work as you wont get the good standard of work you strive for. When you struggle to work just remind yourself why your working Hope these little tips helped in any way.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by alevelstruggle12
I am studying my as levels in year 12; Biology,Chemistry and psychology. I am never motivated I always feel tired when I get home. I can never fall asleep early I feel tired throughout the day, I never want to go to college. I'm getting grades of U's and E's. Whenever I do revise I still get poor grades. How can I motivate myself or make myself revise and not feel tired?

Do exam questions
Reply 9
make yourself a timetable- a simple one, where you only do a bit every day but by the end of a month or twp lets say, you would've finished the spec.
spread out the topics that you want to do- dont bunch every topic up that you need to revise for
try and follow the timetable every day and that should get you motived and organised. and would majorly reduce stress too.

Spoiler

Excellent advice :h::yy:

Quick Reply

Latest