The Student Room Group

If you had a choice would you become immortal or die naturally?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mehrdad jafari
Haha, perhaps, assuming that you wouldn't have to wait for technological advancement to obtain the necessary tools for carrying out experiments. Otherwise, being immortal has no benefit as you are subject to time itself.

Yes I might have to wait for the necessary technologies to perform some experiments, but I could find stuff to do in the meantime and in my opinion it would be better than never even seeing the advancements. To an immortal being any finite time delay is negligible.
Original post by SeanFM
When the sun eventually explodes I'll be like :erm: what now.

I did think of that. The Earth falls into the sun before the sun explodes. You'd have to move star system(wouldn't be much fun floating around in vacuum for eternity).
Original post by morgan8002
I did think of that. The Earth falls into the sun before the sun explodes. You'd have to move star system(wouldn't be much fun floating around in vacuum for eternity).

Exactly right. :smile:
[scroll] immortal [/scroll]
Yes I might have to wait for the necessary technologies to perform some experiments, but I could find stuff to do in the meantime and in my opinion it would be better than never even seeing the advancements. To an immortal being any finite time delay is negligible.

The delay would be infinite..
Immortal, but only if it meant I was immune to things that come with death like illness and disease.
Original post by WoodyMKC
Immortal, but only if it meant I was immune to things that come with death like illness and disease.

Yeah that would be another problem. Even if you retained your bodily function that you have when you are in your 20's, you would eventually luck out and get cancer or something
The delay would be infinite..

I mean the delay before obtaining any particular technology.
I mean the delay before obtaining any particular technology.

Yes, but because there is always a delay in time, you will never be able to attain your goal. You will remain incomplete in knowledge :colonhash:
die naturally
Yes, but because there is always a delay in time, you will never be able to attain your goal. You will remain incomplete in knowledge :colonhash:

Yeah.
If it were possible to get cancer or illness then wouldn't that be more reason to want to be immortal? You could live normally for as long as would be possible (even outlive the age expectancy as long as you don't get a disease), then when you seek death or get bored of life and find it tormenting, you'd have the option of death.

Although imo that wouldn't be true immortality. If immortality meant that you just had the potential to live forever but could still be killed then that wouldnt be immortality.
Reply 32
Immortality... It would be extremely difficult to know that I'd lose my loved ones one day, but it isn't any different now is it?

At least with immortality you can explore the whole of the world, study every subject there is and so much more!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Omar717
If it were possible to get cancer or illness then wouldn't that be more reason to want to be immortal? You could live normally for as long as would be possible (even outlive the age expectancy as long as you don't get a disease), then when you seek death or get bored of life and find it tormenting, you'd have the option of death.

Although imo that wouldn't be true immortality. If immortality meant that you just had the potential to live forever but could still be killed then that wouldnt be immortality.

You are mixing up immortality with invincibility. Jellyfish are technically immortal but they still can be killed. The immortality I'm talking about here is like jellyfish immortality.

Because what would be the point of being immortal if you could still be taken out by illness or disease? You would die eventually anyway especially if you still aged. Even if you didn't age and kept the body of a 20 year old there's only so many times you could get cancer and still live. It would get the better of you eventually.
Forget the people you know and love passing away. What happens when your disembodied consciousness is floating improbably in the void and you haven't seen so much as a gamma wave come past in the last 900 quadrillion years?
Reply 35
Technically, immortality as a word means not being able to die. What you're referring to is known as "biological immortality" and refers to specific functions of organisms.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by scrotgrot
Forget the people you know and love passing away. What happens when your disembodied consciousness is floating improbably in the void and you haven't seen so much as a gamma wave come past in the last 900 quadrillion years?

Sounds grim, immortality would suck when the universe eventually dies
Yeah exactly

Ah okay fair enough

And yup thats exactly what I was thinking. Many people may want to be immortal 29year olds but not immortal 89year olds. And then choosing the age to be immortal at is another debate.
The definition of immortality is the ability to live forever ie not die. If you can die it's not eternal life and, hence, not immortality.

The way I see it, if I'm immortal but can still be killed then why not just become immortal? You can live for as long as you want and then decide when death takes you.
I'd also like to state that the type of immortality you're referring to in jellyfish is only potential biological immortality, so not really true immortality.

Quick Reply

Latest