The Student Room Group
it has literally nothing to do with race/ethnicity, or implications towards those things
nah. And it doesn't even have to be bananas specifically. It's just cus some countries get bare money off selling bananas

Posted from TSR Mobile
It could be termed as racist. If you think about it by expressing something in a derogative way then that implies that a banana republic is in fact derogative also. It really depends on how deep you want to look at it. I don't think that terms that have been born out of real events and nominalised should be ignored. Yes figures of speech are commonly used but they still can hurt. Its a shame that we seem to no longer look at language and understand its true origins. Look deeper and ask yourself honestly what you think about it then you will know where you stand. Other people can only say from their point of view but that does not make it truth, it just makes it their truth.
I don't think so. It refers to a corrupt small country with a single main source of income. Most tend to be in developing countries, though it was used by Bob Geldof in a song once, and I think he may have been referring to Ireland.

Latest

Trending

Trending