The Student Room Group

Do you write or type lecture notes?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sandy8615
Hand writing of course!It is my absolute comfort zone and when you have to spend hours making notes,hand writing works better for me as i don't like printed notes :P
Typing on the laptop for hours make my eyes strain due to the light it keep on emitting..Grr !

If your laptop is straining your eyes, try downloading f.lux - it's a blue light filter which is great, especially in the evenings. Should help you stop getting that wired feeling from using a screen, apparently blue light interferes with sleep patterns :h:
I use onenote for ipad.
Reply 42
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
If your laptop is straining your eyes, try downloading f.lux - it's a blue light filter which is great, especially in the evenings. Should help you stop getting that wired feeling from using a screen, apparently blue light interferes with sleep patterns :h:

That looks cool.

Or should I say "warm"...

:getmecoat:
Original post by jneill
That looks cool.

Or should I say "warm"...

:getmecoat:

It is, you can also download Twilight for your mobile which does the same thing.

TSR is a lovely shade of orange for me :biggrin:
Reply 44
I write in lectures. Go back to the flat, and if I'm in the mood to study I'll rewrite them using textbooks. But for revision purposes, I will probably type up these notes, so I've gone through my notes at least three times and hopefully should have absorbed the information

Thanks for the suggestion,I am going to download it! :smile:
Original post by sandy8615
Thanks for the suggestion,I am going to download it! :smile:

Hope it helps - there's also an option to switch it off easily. I would do this if you are editing photos or something like that :rofl: Have made that mistake before!
Hope it helps - there's also an option to switch it off easily. I would do this if you are editing photos or something like that :rofl: Have made that mistake before!

NOTED !
I've written all my notes in lectures by hand but I end up only writing a small amount because I just write anything the lecturer says that isn't on the powerpoint. Doing it by hand lets me quickly copy diagrams from the board as well.
Reply 49
It is, you can also download Twilight for your mobile which does the same thing.

TSR is a lovely shade of orange for me :biggrin:

Installed f.lux and now in use: it's a bit freaky... but definitely more relaxing.
Also got the mobile thing.

Cheers!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 50
Type.

I use one-note so all my notes are together along with definitions and past paper questions.

diagrams are easy to add in and further notes can be edited and added in as well.

Personally at the speed my lecturers go I couldn't hand-write my notes- especially when it comes to my cancer biology and cell signalling modules!
I take notes in lectures sometimes, but I also have a voice recorder so I can plug it into my laptop when I get home and it translates into text. Very handy gadget.
I can't write that quickly, so in lectures I use my laptop cos I can take so much more information down without missing the next part - but I then go back and write my notes out, because I remember it better that way. So I guess I do both.
I type it because I can have a backed up version which is accessible from any devices connected to the internet, I also don't need to worry about getting the notes back when giving them to someone as well as its readability. It's also advantageous for adding missing bits.
holy **** surprised how 90% write rather than type

at my uni i'd say 95%+ type (for my course, anyway)..

lectures are about getting all the info down into one source, that's easier typing. you can learn from the notes later tbh.
Reply 55
I use my laptop for 95% of notes, but some things, like diagrams, Maths equations, matrices, etc, are better off drawn. That's when I bring my tablet.
Original post by Illiberal Liberal
holy **** surprised how 90% write rather than type

at my uni i'd say 95%+ type (for my course, anyway)..

lectures are about getting all the info down into one source, that's easier typing. you can learn from the notes later tbh.

What course do you do?

I think STEM people are probably more likely to take notes by pen and paper, whereas humanities and arts people are more likely to type them.

90% of science lecture notes are equations and diagrams, graphs, sketches, arrows, annotations. All stuff that its quick and easy to sketch out by hand, but if you tried to format them on a computer you'd be there all week.
I study law and it is very popular on my course to bring a laptop into lectures.

We have so much reading to do that we simply cannot afford the time to re-write lecture notes.

I wrote out lecture notes in my 1st year, but it became too much so I saved up and bought a macbook pro for 2nd year.... best investment ever !!!
I've written notes during the first semester, but find that my handwriting is scruffy and hard to read. I can't take longer to write because the slides change quickly.

I have a great laptop but it's very expensive so I don't like the idea of walking around uni with a laptop case and having it on show during lectures. My typing is very fast but noisy, so I'm sure I'd be annoying for others.

I don't know what to do. I find that I worry a lot about missing key points while I'm busy writing something down. Nothing said, read or written during lectures sticks in my memory because I can't keep interest or concentration for long. I'm working on my mental issues but I sometimes feel like spending time in lectures is currently wasteful for me.

On the other hand, lectures are something I (usually) get up and go outside for which is good for my health. Frankly, I know I don't have the motivation required to wake up early and read/listen to lectures in my own time online.
Psychology degree has taught me that it is best to write up lecture notes since it reinforces the knowledge, and increases the chances of the information transferring to your long term memory... so I write :redface:)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending