EthanFuture
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi, I'm currently doing AS levels and I'm going to apply to the RAF for officer(pilot) when I'm 17 next year some time. I was wondering if there is anybody who is also thinking/wanting or going to do so in the near future and what you are doing in terms of preparation and things that you think are important to do. Also if there's anybody who has applied and has got through/in and if you could try and explain everything you did at oasc and what made you stand out and succeed as much as possible in all of the sections of oasc. I'm doing Maths, Geography, Music and History for AS levels. Do they look much at your academia side in terms of what grades you got... Or do they mainly focus on what you are like at oasc and if you've got the entry requirements of 2 a levels then they don't go any further than that? Also what is it like being the youngest applicant during the selection process? Thanks, please reply relating to what I've talked about and anything else you think is relative or important to know. Hopefully this can turn into a full thread/discussion that will cover almost everything on how to get through oasc.
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by EthanFuture)
Hi, I'm currently doing AS levels and I'm going to apply to the RAF for officer(pilot) when I'm 17 next year some time. I was wondering if there is anybody who is also thinking/wanting or going to do so in the near future and what you are doing in terms of preparation and things that you think are important to do. Also if there's anybody who has applied and has got through/in and if you could try and explain everything you did at oasc and what made you stand out and succeed as much as possible in all of the sections of oasc. I'm doing Maths, Geography, Music and History for AS levels. Do they look much at your academia side in terms of what grades you got... Or do they mainly focus on what you are like at oasc and if you've got the entry requirements of 2 a levels then they don't go any further than that? Also what is it like being the youngest applicant during the selection process? Thanks, please reply relating to what I've talked about and anything else you think is relative or important to know. Hopefully this can turn into a full thread/discussion that will cover almost everything on how to get through oasc.
Search through the forum. All those questions have been answered many many times before.

Don't be lazy, look at all the other threads that have been made on the subject. As an RAF officer you have to go find information, you can start that process here.
EthanFuture
Rep:
?
Hi, I have read all the other threads on these topics and I was looking for any further info that hasn't been answered in other threads. Or any extra tips that haven't benn said.
Thanks
EthanFuture
Rep:
?
(Original post by Drewski)
Search through the forum. All those questions have been answered many many times before.

Don't be lazy, look at all the other threads that have been made on the subject. As an RAF officer you have to go find information, you can start that process here.
Hi, I have read all the other threads on these topics in much depth and I was looking for any further info that hasn't been talked about in other threads. Or any extra tips that haven't been said. Thanks
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi, I have read all the other threads on these topics and I was looking for any further info that hasn't been answered in other threads. Or any extra tips that haven't benn said.
Thanks
What else are you hoping to get? Everything has been written about. Every phase has been detailed many times.

Give us some specific areas that you want extra clarity or detail on.

As it stands, it looks like you're just asking for advice to be spoonfed to you. We won't do that.
EthanFuture
Rep:
?
What do the aptitude tests specifically consist of? Each and every one in as much detail as possible.
Thanks very much

Posted from TSR Mobile
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
What do the aptitude tests specifically consist of? Each and every one in as much detail as possible.
Thanks very much
Shall we sit them for you as well?

Do a search. You'll find many recent detailed accounts of the tests. You'll also find old accounts. That's fine, the tests haven't changed much. Read them first, then - if you have any - ask specific questions about specific things. Help will be offered to those who put some effort in. So far you're not looking like you're even trying.
Hazzer1998
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi ! , I'm going to join the RAF As a SNCO Air Traffic Control.
What do you want to fly as a pilot ? Jets ? Transport? Helicopters? Trainers ?
I'm applying in a few weeks actually and I understand the 3 day Assessment is testing your leadership, knowledge of the RAF , interviews , medical and fitness tests
Make sure you know
- History of the RAF
- Bases of the RAF ( UK &Aboard)
- Aircrafts of the RAF
- Speed / Distance / time calculations
Make sure you
- have a decent level of fitness ( they don't expect you to be a world class athletic but a decent level of fitness is required
- apply with plenty of time ( it can take a 1 year to process your application
- visit your local AFCO , Talk to them , ask all the questions you have ( make a list and make sure you ask them ALL
- try joining your local air cadet squadron
- make a CV
If you want any help or info PM me

Good luck
EthanFuture
Rep:
?
Ok thanks, I am thinking of either Jets or Transport, do I have to have decide the exact role as pilot before the selection process? As EFT is where they basically decide which route you will go down(jets, multi engine, rotary) so could I just say I'm thinking of multi engine and fast jets but I will make a decision after/at EFT? What have you done for preparation and have you had to have a filter interview? What questions did they ask? I have read about all the other OASC aptitude test posts and there is really a detailed description of what they consisted of and when they happened...
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
EthanFuture
Rep:
?
Last line (Isn't really)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hazzer1998
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Ok thanks, I am thinking of either Jets or Transport, do I have to have decide the exact role as pilot before the selection process? As EFT is where they basically decide which route you will go down(jets, multi engine, rotary) so could I just say I'm thinking of multi engine and fast jets but I will make a decision after/at EFT? What have you done for preparation and have you had to have a filter interview? What questions did they ask? I have read about all the other OASC aptitude test posts and there is really a detailed description of what they consisted of and when they happened...
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
No , the RAF Decide what type of aircraft you fly . When you have you flying training they will ask you your preference but ultimately the RAF Decide
I'm sorting out initial application and then I wait for the RAF to contact me
It will likely go
- Submit Application
- RAF Contact you
- Initial interview they will likely ask
- Why do you want to join ?
- Why pilot ?
- What does a pilot do ?
- Why should we accept you into the RAF ?
- How do you help the Local community ?
- What was your education like ?
- What was your upbringing like ?
BE 100% HONEST - DON'T LIE
- Fitness / Medical tests
- Tests ( What ever their called )
- 3 day pre selection course ( I you pass the 1st 3 days you go onto the next 3/4 days
- Filter Interview
- Start IOT
This can take up to 9 months before you even start IOT
EthanFuture
Rep:
?
Ok thanks very much. Keep in touch

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hazzer1998
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Ok thanks very much. Keep in touch

Posted from TSR Mobile
This might be of interest

https://www.raf.mod.uk/recruitment/m...af_regular.pdf
Hazzer1998
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Wow! This is perfect. Where did you find it? Are there any other this like this that are actually made by the RAF?
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
I Acutally had an email from the RAF a while back regarding applications ETC , and i found this link , this morning and its perfect for me !

i will see what else i have saved
Hazzer1998
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Wow! This is perfect. Where did you find it? Are there any other this like this that are actually made by the RAF?
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Interested in joing the RAF ? PDF
RAF Application help PDF
RAF Aptitude Test PDF
RAF Aptitude test Answers PDF
RAF Aptitude test evolution pdf
The Early years of RAF Flight pdf
RAF Aircrew Pilot - GOV.UK PDF
OSAC Hints and tips
OSAC Planning ideas
RAF OSAC

EthanFuture
Rep:
?
Thanks very much, keep in touch.
Ethan

Posted from TSR Mobile
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Just to add (unless it has already been mentioned) you won't sit the 'RAF AFCO Aptitude tests', you go to Cranwell for CBAT (Computer based Aptitude Tests) which are far more rigorous and demanding to that of the AFCO AT.
EthanFuture
Rep:
?
I don't even think there are aptitude tests at AFCO? I think it's just the interview and brief?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I don't even think there are aptitude tests at AFCO? I think it's just the interview and brief?
Clearly, your assertion that you've read all the threads here isn't true, if you had you'd know the answer to this.

Stop expecting information to be spoonfed to you. That's not how life works, it's certainly not how the RAF works and it's not how you get to become a pilot. Do some work.
EthanFuture
Rep:
?
So everything in the RAF PDF about the next steps and joining is all done at AFCO?

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (136)
17.82%
It's just nice to be back! (204)
26.74%
Not great so far... (274)
35.91%
I want to drop out! (149)
19.53%

Watched Threads