The Student Room Group

27% turnitin score

I've just written my first literature review regarding phenotypic plasticity and have cited and referenced it no end. It is all mainly 1%, about 2 are 4% and 1 is 8% but when I looked at what it believes is similar is where I've had to review their findings and it's flagged up all of the scientific words etc. Am I missing something?
Put them in inverted speech marks...? I don't know, sorry. Ask your tutor.
Reply 2
Original post by samina_ay
Put them in inverted speech marks...? I don't know, sorry. Ask your tutor.

That is completely against the harvard style of writing, it's due tonight as well
Reply 3
Original post by Hjyates
I've just written my first literature review regarding phenotypic plasticity and have cited and referenced it no end. It is all mainly 1%, about 2 are 4% and 1 is 8% but when I looked at what it believes is similar is where I've had to review their findings and it's flagged up all of the scientific words etc. Am I missing something?

I got 4 percent from one source because I used the word "is". If there's chunks that get flagged, try altering them; otherwise don't worry.
Original post by Hjyates
That is completely against the harvard style of writing, it's due tonight as well

I follow the harvard style and you're allowed to put things in speech marks - you just need to in-text reference it properly too. My actual assignment never gets picked up by turn it in, just the references in my reference list. Email your tutor if you can.
My turnitin similarly was once 31%, I got 68. It's definitely not a correlation with your grade so don't worry there. You'll most likely be fine. I can never see my similarity before I submit properly but if you can, you can opt to remove reference matches in the top left corner I think and your score goes down :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Hjyates

If it is that bad, or you think it'll affect your score, try and paraphrase what it is saying. You can use speech marks for an expect quote but use '...' not "...".
Reply 7
I ended up resubmitting it a second time so it doesnt show the originality report
Reply 8
Original post by Katy4341
My turnitin similarly was once 31%, I got 68. It's definitely not a correlation with your grade so don't worry there. You'll most likely be fine. I can never see my similarity before I submit properly but if you can, you can opt to remove reference matches in the top left corner I think and your score goes down :smile:

That's reassuring. Thank you (:
As long as you clearly indicate that it's from somewhere else the % shouldn't make too much difference. If it's above a threshold, usually 30%+, then they'll check it manually.
doesn't matter, it could be as high as 50% if someone was quoting chunks for a particular piece of work, but whomever is marking it will see you've referenced it and it won't be a big deal, I generally had at least 15% purely from the in-text citations themselves, then the reference list at the end, but obviously it's all mostly 2%,4% etc. Even a string of words like "the higher concentration of Ethanol in the sample of" can be flagged up, when it's clearly just a broad statement used thousands of times, if you haven't plagiarized, ignore turnitin.
Turn it in is just a guide, it's the markers job to decide whether it's plagerism or not. As long as all your references are correctly written and you know you haven't copied then it should be fine :smile:
as long as you have referenced correctly throughout you should be fine!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending