The Student Room Group

Plagarism Checkers - accuracy!

Hi all,

What is currently the best plagiarism checker available? I used Grammarly and WordTune. Grammarly reported a 6% match and Word Tune a 3%. I fixed what they flagged and submitted my document via Turnitin. After doing so, I got hit with a 38% score. I don't understand this. I checked my 15- page paper with 2 plagiarism checkers to make sure. Are the available online checkers not accurate?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Reply 1
TurnItIn has access to a much wider set of data, including every essay ever submitted to the University.

What this means in everyday terms is that students tend to use a finite set of resources - the same things for their assignments. So references lists will play a bit part in similarity scores, just because there are 200 students using the same resources.

Similarly, students will tend to use the same quotations and so on, and this bumps up the TurnItIn similarity score

I'd not worry too much. the 38 probably just shows that you've not been too imaginative with your sources, it does not necessarily mean that you've done anything wrong.
Reply 2
Ok, thank you! I was pretty concerned. I always stress over things like this.
Reply 3
Original post by JLH81
Ok, thank you! I was pretty concerned. I always stress over things like this.

Don't fret. It's unlikely that there's a serious issue.
It would be fine as long as your similarity rating is lower than 10%.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending