The Student Room Group

Industrial Placement Help!

I'm currently a 2nd year doing a biology degree d I'm thinking about doing a placement. The problem is I really don't like my degree, and i'm not interested in having a career in science. So, I want to do a business/marketing placement instead. Do you think my uni would allow this/would it look weird on my cv to do this? Or should I just do a summer internship and finish my degree next year?
Original post by iamchinny
I'm currently a 2nd year doing a biology degree d I'm thinking about doing a placement. The problem is I really don't like my degree, and i'm not interested in having a career in science. So, I want to do a business/marketing placement instead. Do you think my uni would allow this/would it look weird on my cv to do this? Or should I just do a summer internship and finish my degree next year?

Heya :h:

If your university has a career advisor centre, it may be worth getting a meeting with them and they can give you advice specific to your university and how it operates.
Reply 2
Original post by SeanFM
Heya :h:

If your university has a career advisor centre, it may be worth getting a meeting with them and they can give you advice specific to your university and how it operates.

Thanks for the response. Yeah I probably should do that, I think they're more targeted towards science careers but i might as well try
Hi,

If you like marketing, how about do some CIM qualifications, hopefully employers will see your passion for marketing and if you can get a internship, then go for it :smile:

Good Luck
Reply 4
Even science-related things need to be administered, marketed and sold.

You could try and find a business/marketing placement in a science-based company. In that environment your degree would be an advantage in that you'd have a basic level of background understanding, but you could use it to get a foot in the door of a career that interests you without having to use it directly.
Business awareness and marketing come into play in the world of science too. And most people who do that sort of thing in science are people who have a basic science degree so they have some idea of the industry and products. Another suggestion to add to the mix is to take a science based placement and see if you can negotiate time in marketing/sales type department while you're there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending