The Student Room Group

Needing help with choices

So I am currently doing my GCSE's but I am thinking about which ones to choose for A-Level. I have a major passion for theatre and P.E with doing media studies and English Literature for A-Level. However a family member gave me a talk about how many people she knows that did Theatre, P.E and media studies with other subjects. Told me because they did these sort of subjects that they did not get to move on much from when they passed that because there are not many jobs in that area of qualifications and you have to get lucky (which I do understand). This made me really rethink my option choices for my A-Levels. Now I came on here for just a little guidance and peoples opinions who have been in my situation that is similar.

I want to go onto uni but I know I should choose better subjects for A-Level. So what I am really asking is what subjects should I maybe do that could open up a more variety of jobs that are good.

I am sorry if this seems very jumbled and not all of it is grammatically correct but I am getting more nervous by the day and now I have decided to reach out to you guys and gals
Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Do you know what you will be doing after A levels? I would usually suggest picking at least two sciences for A level as this can open your options for university. It depends what you intend to do.
Reply 2
Original post by Jamess8300
Do you know what you will be doing after A levels? I would usually suggest picking at least two sciences for A level as this can open your options for university. It depends what you intend to do.

After A-Levels I do hope on going to University and getting further education.
Original post by Lswa1
After A-Levels I do hope on going to University and getting further education.

I am in a very similar position to you. I have the same aspirations and don't know what subjects or degree I'd want to do later in life. I really like maths, so I've got that down with further maths and I was thinking that science could really open up my options - so I've got physics and chemistry down too.

For you, I personally think you should go for theatre as you are passionate about that. PE is a great one, I don't do it but I really value those who do. English literature id also a great one to do. Personally, I don't really understand the importance of media studies if you don't know what you want to do, jnless you have a great passion for it. I think biology could really open up your options and go really well with PE.

I hope that helps. :h:
Reply 4
Original post by Matrix123
I am in a very similar position to you. I have the same aspirations and don't know what subjects or degree I'd want to do later in life. I really like maths, so I've got that down with further maths and I was thinking that science could really open up my options - so I've got physics and chemistry down too.

For you, I personally think you should go for theatre as you are passionate about that. PE is a great one, I don't do it but I really value those who do. English literature id also a great one to do. Personally, I don't really understand the importance of media studies if you don't know what you want to do, jnless you have a great passion for it. I think biology could really open up your options and go really well with PE.

I hope that helps. :h:

Yeah it does thanks, me and my family discussed doing biology since It is a science I am good at and media studies was something I saw that I thought I might liked. Thanks it does mean a lot to hear someone else's view.
Original post by Lswa1
Yeah it does thanks, me and my family discussed doing biology since It is a science I am good at and media studies was something I saw that I thought I might liked. Thanks it does mean a lot to hear someone else's view.

I'm glad I could be of help. It's great that you're good at biology. I'm sure you won't regret taking it if you do decide to choose it. I've heard it's more essay based with the exam questions that the other sciences so I'm sure it would go nicely with English literature too. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest