The Student Room Group

Question regarding ethnic Judaism.

Scroll to see replies

If you Jewish you've gotta go the whole way lol C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_images.jpg
What you should look like in a months time :wink:
Do you like money?
Original post by EricPiphany
If you Jewish you've gotta go the whole way lol C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_images.jpg
What you should look like in a months time :wink:
אָמֵן
Original post by thecatwithnohat
Do you like money?

Of course :wink:
Original post by TheLoneArab
אָמֵן

Of course :wink:

כן יהי רצון
Whatever m8 :wink:
So is it true that if your mother is a Jew you are also a Jew??

Okay so my conundrum is that while I'm not Jewish by creed, my ancestors (some odd centuries ago) were Yemenite Jews (both ethnically and religiously) meaning although my main language is Arabic, I have an Arabic name and my nationality would be considered Arab, am I still ethnically a Jew since I have only got Jewish blood?

I don't think ethnic Judaism exists due to Ethiopian Jews, European Jews and Middle Eastern Jews having existed for centuries. Judaism is like the other Abrahamic religions, Islam and Christianity in that anyone of any ethnicity can become a member of said religion.
כן יהי רצון
Whatever m8 :wink:

Im just disappointed that you still use internet explorer :wink:
Reply 26
If your mother is Jewish then you are Jewish according to halacha (the religious law). This means that your mother's soul must be Jewish and her body must be that of Israelite, so practising another religion by your mother excludes you being Jewish, according to halacha.

If it is your father is Jewish and not your mother, then you are still considered 'of Jewish descent' by the state of Israel. You are entitled to move and live in Israel if at least 1 of your grandfathers/grandmothers was orthodox Jew (that in practice means no convert) and you can enrol onto the hok hashvut (law of return). If, however, you want to practice in Jewish religious life you do need to convert as a gentile, but Reform Judaism (not seen genuine by real Judaism) recognises that person as a Jew also.

Again, you can see how ethnicity is an integral part of religion and vice verca, you cannot separate the two in Jewish identity as they are both its constituent members.

So the paradox is perhaps this that the more secular the Judaism the more emphasis there is on Jewish ethnicity, and the more religious/spiritual/mystical (Hasidism for example) the Judaism the less emphasis there is on ethnicity:

[video="youtube;0VNSKjpgPco"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VNSKjpgPco[/video]

0:43 Watch this Chabad Lubavitcher Rebbe Schneerson giving a blessing to the convert.
Im just disappointed that you still use internet explorer :wink:

I don't? I have a windows phone...
Original post by Yael
x

I am an Israelite by blood, my ancestors were those who were exiled from the Holy land and found sanctuary in Yemen, so I guess I'm just an Israelite ethnically and not Jewish.
Original post by Yael
If your mother is Jewish then you are Jewish according to halacha (the religious law). This means that your mother's soul must be Jewish and her body must be that of Israelite, so practising another religion by your mother excludes you being Jewish, according to halacha.

If it is your father is Jewish and not your mother, then you are still considered 'of Jewish descent' by the state of Israel. You are entitled to move and live in Israel if at least 1 of your grandfathers/grandmothers was orthodox Jew (that in practice means no convert) and you can enrol onto the hok hashvut (law of return). If, however, you want to practice in Jewish religious life you do need to convert as a gentile, but Reform Judaism (not seen genuine by real Judaism) recognises that person as a Jew also.

Again, you can see how ethnicity is an integral part of religion and vice verca, you cannot separate the two in Jewish identity as they are both its constituent members.

So the paradox is perhaps this that the more secular the Judaism the more emphasis there is on Jewish ethnicity, and the more religious/spiritual/mystical (Hasidism for example) the Judaism the less emphasis there is on ethnicity:

[video="youtube;0VNSKjpgPco"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VNSKjpgPco[/video]

0:43 Watch this Chabad Lubavitcher Rebbe Schneerson giving a blessing to the convert.

Are you א גוטע חסידישער מיידעלע
I don't? I have a windows phone...

When i hover my mouse over the picture of the Jewish guy you uploaded it says you got it from internet explorer lol.
Are you א גוטע חסידישער מיידעלע

Do you struggle with spelling?
When i hover my mouse over the picture of the Jewish guy you uploaded it says you got it from internet explorer lol.

I just stole it from a quick google search :wink: My beard is much bigger than that jk
Do you struggle with spelling?

lol something called yiddish
I just stole it from a quick google search :wink: My beard is much bigger than that jk

How long are we talking? Mine is still in its childhood, it looks really scruffy if it gets above a grade 2 lol
lol something called yiddish

Slang Hebrew or what lol?
Slang Hebrew or what lol?

No, its practically German. Written with the Hebrew alphabet.
How long are we talking? Mine is still in its childhood, it looks really scruffy if it gets above a grade 2 lol

Na I was joking I dont grow a beard
No, its practically German. Written with the Hebrew alphabet.

Oh lol
Na I was joking I dont grow a beard

You're a disgrace to the Semitics.

Quick Reply

Latest