The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE 2016 Postgraduate Application/Offer Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by DreamByDay
Hi all, how does funding work for Research Masters (coded: MSc (Research)) and how likely is one to receive ESRC funding? There seems to only be 2 places available in the Masters I am applying to - if I were to get in, would that give me a good chance at funding or...? Thanks!

I think MSc (Research) still classifies as a taught masters - although they do have 1+3 ESRC funding which would include funding for a PhD. Don't think there's ESRC funding for just the 1 year.
Under 'taught masters' here: http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/graduate/availableProgrammes.aspx

I'm also applying for MSc (Research) (in economic history) and was told the 1+3 is the only 'proper' funding available
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by Tom_N5
I think MSc (Research) still classifies as a taught masters - although they do have 1+3 ESRC funding which would include funding for a PhD. Don't think there's ESRC funding for just the 1 year.
Under 'taught masters' here: http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/graduate/availableProgrammes.aspx

I'm also applying for MSc (Research) (in economic history) and was told the 1+3 is the only 'proper' funding available

Thanks for your reply - yes the 1+3 funding is what I was looking at - but I'm not sure if there's any difference in applying/ how to apply, etc.??
Reply 22
Thanks for your reply - yes the 1+3 funding is what I was looking at - but I'm not sure if there's any difference in applying/ how to apply, etc.??

Hi - no problem
I think you just need to include a research proposal in your application and they'll automatically assess you for funding - the only reason I didn't is because the 1+3 doesn't allow for a gap for language learning between the 1 and the 3

http://www.lse.ac.uk/intranet/students/moneyMatters/financialSupport/esrc.aspx deadline is monday though!
Original post by Tom_N5
Hi - no problem
I think you just need to include a research proposal in your application and they'll automatically assess you for funding - the only reason I didn't is because the 1+3 doesn't allow for a gap for language learning between the 1 and the 3

http://www.lse.ac.uk/intranet/students/moneyMatters/financialSupport/esrc.aspx deadline is monday though!

I see, thanks a million! I did include a research proposal and applied about a month ago, fingers crossed I did everything correctly *and* get funding ^^ Do you have any idea how likely successful applicants are to receive funding, or how long it takes to know? I have tried to retrieve the information myself but the LSE website is so incredibly poorly-made!!
Reply 24
I got an offer yesterday for MSc Theory and History of International Relations and a 120th Anniversary Scholarship :smile: Good luck to everyone waiting to find out!
Hay anyone has any news from LSE MSc in International Political Economy? I submitted application onOct. 26, I also received my 4th confirmation letter from LSE on Nov. 4, and access in "LSE for You" since then.

Now I has been considering by the department still, I suppose the outcome will be released very soon... Right? Everyone who applied this course, please also share your information. Thank you!
Original post by ce0850
I got an offer yesterday for MSc Theory and History of International Relations and a 120th Anniversary Scholarship :smile: Good luck to everyone waiting to find out!

Big congrats! :h: When did you submit and receive LSE for You ID?
Original post by ce0850

They're are still doing the Anniversary Scholarships this year? I had thought they were only for last year.

Congrats! When did you submit your application.
Reply 28
Original post by Simon2454
Big congrats! :h: When did you submit and receive LSE for You ID?

Original post by PostGrad221
Congrats! When did you submit your application.

Thank you! I submitted my application on 22nd Oct and got my ID on 10th Nov.

They're are still doing the Anniversary Scholarships this year? I had thought they were only for last year.

So did I but that's what it said on my offer email and LSE for You - definitely not complaining!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ce0850
Thank you! I submitted my application on 22nd Oct and got my ID on 10th Nov.

So did I but that's what it said on my offer email and LSE for You - definitely not complaining!

Did you submit a scholarship application of some sort?

Also, what are the conditions of your offer (if you're at a UK University)?, if you don't mind me asking.:smile::smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
I worry about one thing...

As I heard that LSE might be really "no response" to few applications over 9/ 10 weeks, then it almost means that will be no hope and will reject to offer at the end, but you need to wait for quite a long period.

It's just a unconfirmed rumour, could anyone can try to clarify about this a bit? Pls... :s-smilie:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by Simon2454
I worry about one thing...

As I heard that LSE might be really "no response" to few applications over 9/ 10 weeks, then it almost means that will be no hope and will reject to offer at the end, but you need to wait for quite a long period.

It's just a unconfirmed rumour, could anyone can try to clarify about this a bit? Pls... :s-smilie:

No it does not mean anything. You can still be accepted even if it takes longer than 8 weeks. I waited for over four months at masters level and I got an offer (dual degree). My friend applied for IR, got rejected after three months, but nonetheless got his second choice (Global Politics).
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 32
Original post by ce0850

Congratulations my friend, that's great news. I've also applied for Theory and History of IR and was told my application had been processed on 4 December. if you don't mind me asking, what's your academic background and how strong did you believe your application was? I'm actually desperate to get this I cannot even begin to explain haha. Well done again though !
Reply 33
Did you submit a scholarship application of some sort?

I did the normal Financial Support application - I was only going for the Graduate Support Scheme but my Dad convinced me to complete the last section of the form which was Personal Statement. I couldn't be bothered originally because it wasn't necessary for the GSS and I didn't expect to be eligble for anything else, but it's a good job I did

Also, what are the conditions of your offer (if you're at a UK University)?, if you don't mind me asking.:smile::smile:

Not at all! I've already graduated (BA Spanish from Bristol Uni) so the conditions of my offer are just to send them original copies of my degree certificate and transcript.

Original post by Xyris
Congratulations my friend, that's great news. I've also applied for Theory and History of IR and was told my application had been processed on 4 December. if you don't mind me asking, what's your academic background and how strong did you believe your application was? I'm actually desperate to get this I cannot even begin to explain haha. Well done again though !

Thank you very much! I hope you are successful too - good luck!

Regarding my academic background not sure how far back you want me to go but, I got 8 A*s and 1 A at GCSE, 3 As in Spanish, English Lit and Economics at A Level and a First from Bristol Uni for my degree in Spanish. I'm not sure how much GCSEs/A Levels matter though when you've already got your degree (not sure if you've already graduated?)

I thought my application was fairly strong, mainly because my tutors sent me copies of the references they had submitted and they were extremely generous! My biggest concern was the lack of international relations studies in my academic background, but I really pushed the whole 'international-ness' of my year abroad, studying Spanish etc. What have you put as your second choice?
Reply 34
Original post by ce0850
I did the normal Financial Support application - I was only going for the Graduate Support Scheme but my Dad convinced me to complete the last section of the form which was Personal Statement. I couldn't be bothered originally because it wasn't necessary for the GSS and I didn't expect to be eligble for anything else, but it's a good job I did

Not at all! I've already graduated (BA Spanish from Bristol Uni) so the conditions of my offer are just to send them original copies of my degree certificate and transcript.

Thank you very much! I hope you are successful too - good luck!

Regarding my academic background not sure how far back you want me to go but, I got 8 A*s and 1 A at GCSE, 3 As in Spanish, English Lit and Economics at A Level and a First from Bristol Uni for my degree in Spanish. I'm not sure how much GCSEs/A Levels matter though when you've already got your degree (not sure if you've already graduated?)

I thought my application was fairly strong, mainly because my tutors sent me copies of the references they had submitted and they were extremely generous! My biggest concern was the lack of international relations studies in my academic background, but I really pushed the whole 'international-ness' of my year abroad, studying Spanish etc. What have you put as your second choice?

Thanks for the hasty reply and your comments! Ah we are quite similar with academic merits, although you got far more A*s than me at GCSE but they didn't even require those on the application so that should be okay haha. I got all A's in History, Geography and Economics and I recently obtained a First in History from Leeds university. I've done an awful lot that's academically internationally focused (modules, thesis and the like) and I also write a blog on international events. Similar to you, I've seen one out of my two references but that was unbelievably favourable since I'm close friends with my personal tutor even to this day.

I put History of International Relations as my second choice primarily because my background is heavily rooted in history but I want my future to be directed towards a career in IR. Fingers crossed anyway, and thank you for your kind wishes for my potential success!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 35
Original post by Xyris
Thanks for the hasty reply and your comments! Ah we are quite similar with academic merits, although you got far more A*s than me at GCSE but they didn't even require those on the application so that should be okay haha. I got all A's in History, Geography and Economics and I recently obtained a First in History from Leeds university. I've done an awful lot that's academically internationally focused (modules, thesis and the like) and I also write a blog on international events. Similar to you, I've seen one out of my two references but that was unbelievably favourable since I'm close friends with my personal tutor even to this day.

I put History of International Relations as my second choice primarily because my background is heavily rooted in history but I want my future to be directed towards a career in IR. Fingers crossed anyway, and thank you for your kind wishes for my potential success!

You sound far more qualified and experienced than me so I am sure your offer will be on the way soon. Let me know how it goes and hopefully see you in September!
Reply 36
I see, thanks a million! I did include a research proposal and applied about a month ago, fingers crossed I did everything correctly *and* get funding ^^ Do you have any idea how likely successful applicants are to receive funding, or how long it takes to know? I have tried to retrieve the information myself but the LSE website is so incredibly poorly-made!!

I have no idea I'm afraid! I'd guess it would be shortly after getting an offer but who knows. Yeah the LSE website is rubbish haha - just seems to repeat obvious information the whole time
Original post by Sc609
Hi guys! When did you apply for the Msc finance? Which date was your last recommendation letter recieve by the school? I have applied to the Msc finance too, but i havent heard back from LSE :/

I applied in Oct, got my last reference in sometime around mid-Nov, unofficial email early Dec.
Reply 38
Hi Shiddy, When was your application marked complete? Did you apply to the full-time or the part-time program? I applied to MSc Finance as well, hopefully we will be classmates!
Original post by Sc609
Hi guys! When did you apply for the Msc finance? Which date was your last recommendation letter recieve by the school? I have applied to the Msc finance too, but i havent heard back from LSE :/

I applied on 21 October, references submitted on the same day. Received my ID on 27 October, and the unofficial email of recommendation on 30 November. They should be giving out the first offer next week or the week after..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending