The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
RichE
For what it's worth then

Its actually worth quite alot in advice RichE haha. Well not thinking of going to LSE because I'm not really interested in finance and stuff. More inclined towards Pure, theoretical mathematics haha. Probable choice in my UCAS should be Cambridge, Imperial, Warwick, UCL, Durham and one more. THis is in no particular order of course:wink::biggrin:
Reply 21
Read my signature. Anyway, if you're considering Cambridge maths, you do realise that you've to obtain certain grades in STEP mathematics papers and there're absolutely no teaching/material resources available at all in Malaysia. And what's even more disturbing is the exam fees for STEP.
Reply 22
'disturbing'?
Reply 23
soilman
'disturbing'?

It's so ridiculously priced that a family with national average purchasing power would have almost nothing left for the month after paying for STEP exam fees. So my advice is to apply to Oxford, but then I am yet to know of anyone getting an offer for maths this year from Oxford. On the other hand, I think there're about 5-6 offer holders for Cambridge maths in Malaysia.
Reply 24

It's so ridiculously priced that a family with national average purchasing power would have almost nothing left for the month after paying for STEP exam fees. So my advice is to apply to Oxford, but then I am yet to know of anyone getting an offer for maths this year from Oxford. On the other hand, I think there're about 5-6 offer holders for Cambridge maths in Malaysia.

But someone earning that amount of money would not be able to finance a stay at Oxford.
Reply 25
khaixiang
Read my signature. Anyway, if you're considering Cambridge maths, you do realise that you've to obtain certain grades in STEP mathematics papers and there're absolutely no teaching/material resources available at all in Malaysia.

Hey I can't seem to read your signature because it doens't appear?:biggrin: Anyhow considering STEP studying material well that's what the internet is for! Already in possesion of some past years and I'm sitting for my STEP II this June. If you take the trouble to scour the internet, there are past-years and even step-by-step answers for all level STEP papers (forgive the pun!):wink:
Reply 26
zychan1
Hey I can't seem to read your signature because it doens't appear?

Click on "Uni 2007 - Mathematics" in his signature. It's an expandable box.
Reply 27
For what it's worth, I applied to Cambridge Warwick Imperial UCL LSE St Andrews.
Reply 28
I applied to these Unis:

Oxford
Warwick
Imperial
Nottingham
Bristol
Exeter
Oxford, Imperial, UCL, KCL, St Andrews, Durham.
Shouldn't this be the extra four slots? Along with the introduction of the field where you can enter details of your parents' education, I seem to remember that UCAS made the change of allowing only five applications for 2008 entrance onwards.
Reply 31
Thanx everybody for your contributions to this thread. Its nice to see some sort of a pattern emerging which will help me make my choice for UCAS later this year. Wildebeest as far as I know its still six slots for UCAS except for the poor medics who get only 4.
Reply 32
zychan1
Thanx everybody for your contributions to this thread. Its nice to see some sort of a pattern emerging which will help me make my choice for UCAS later this year. Wildebeest as far as I know its still six slots for UCAS except for the poor medics who get only 4.

It's only five slots next year. Trust me on this one.
Reply 33
Aj_deity
It's only five slots next year. Trust me on this one.

I supposed it'll help to ease the flow of applications. I didn't know what to use for my 6th choice so I ended up leaving it blank.
Reply 34
Well, absolutely. Most people don't have 6 universities that they desperately, desperately want to go to at the time of application, so reducing it to five means that universities will get fewer applications from people who have no intention of going and have only used them as filler, and more offers will go to people who actually DO want to go to them.

Well, it's either that or they really really hate applicants and want all of them to fail and get no offers at all, which I think may be the general consensus amongst next year's lot. But I like my theory beter.
Reply 35
Ok I'll try my best to find out from my school admissions counselor within 24 hours. God knows why he didn't notify us of this change...
Reply 37
Aj_deity
Well, absolutely. Most people don't have 6 universities that they desperately, desperately want to go to at the time of application, so reducing it to five means that universities will get fewer applications from people who have no intention of going and have only used them as filler, and more offers will go to people who actually DO want to go to them.

Well, it's either that or they really really hate applicants and want all of them to fail and get no offers at all, which I think may be the general consensus amongst next year's lot. But I like my theory beter.

Totally. As you said, one less doesn't hurt a candidate but it will make the whole process run much more smoothly.
Reply 38
Ok so its comfirmed then. Oh well one less hassle for me :biggrin:. The thread should now read 4 and not 5. Ah well so Oxbridge people what other universities did all of you apply to?
Reply 39
Warwick, York, Durham, Exeter and Lancaster. Although I was limited by my choice of subject.

Latest

Trending

Trending