The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Aj_deity
Warwick, York, Durham, Exeter and Lancaster. Although I was limited by my choice of subject.

Really? What subject did you choose? PPE?
Reply 41
Why yes, yes I did.

Just like all the other cool kids :biggrin: .
Reply 42
If I'd had only 5 choices I probably would be at Warwick now. I used Durham as a space filler really... Anyway I applied to Durham, Exeter, Manchester, Southampton and Warwick in addition to Oxford
Reply 43
Really? But you are in Durham now? Then why did you choose Manchester, Southampton and Warwick over Durham in the first place, then choose to go to Durham?
Reply 44
I applied to Oxford because I don't know a second language, which is prereq for Cambridge (I believe?); here were my other apps:

LSE (math & econ)
Imperial
Edinburgh
St. Andrews
York

I got unconditionals everywhere except LSE which was an easily met conditional (equivalent to B on A-level, I guess). That said, I went with Oxford, though I imagine LSE and Imperial would have been great academically.
Reply 45
zychan1
We're not really here to debate on the admission chances to Oxford and Cambridge but I'm willing to allow some flexibility if you people will actually ANSWER MY QUESTION. Thanx haha.

How kind of you to allow some flexibility in what we're allowed to post! It's a shame that the flexibility which you are allowing is what is giving you the good advice: Make sure you do discriminate between Oxford and Cambridge, they are different. Do your own research for other universities, because only you know what you want.

Having a second language is -not- a prerequisite to Cambridge. It is formally required for you to have a GCSE level qualification in another language, though I think that if you don't you can get this waived in many cases.
Applied for straight maths at Oxford, Imperial, Bath, UCL, KCL, LSE but regretted the choices. KCL and LSE were filling gaps and it was a waste of my time and theirs. I should have applied to Warwick and Durham instead anyway but it doesn't matter since I've taken Oxford as Firm and UCL as Insurance (although I probably should have taken Bath as insurance). (By the way I'm half Malaysian and have an offer from Oxford if that counts :wink: ).
Reply 47
Congrats Strawberry. I hope you get in to Oxford. Why did you prefer Bath over UCL?
Reply 48
This year isn't it the case that we only get 5 choices?
Reply 49
AlphaX
This year isn't it the case that we only get 5 choices?

Yes, read some of the posts above yours. :smile:
Reply 50
Yeap only five this year. Check the UCAS website if you want comfirmation. They had a press release about this or something.
zychan1
Congrats Strawberry. I hope you get in to Oxford. Why did you prefer Bath over UCL?

Thank you ^_^ I should really be revising for my exams right about now though.. I prefer Bath mainly because I currently live in London, so it would be a good change for me. I also liked their extracurricular facilities (they have a fantastic Sports centre and I liked the fact that they have Visual Arts workshops). Also, UCL said they give you a lot of freedom in choosing oustide options, for example Fine Art, but when I went to the Open Day, the tutor said that they don't do this anymore. Good luck with your decision :smile:
Reply 52
I applied for maths and stats in oxford, ucl, warwick, and acturial science LSE, city and heriot watt, got conditional offers from all of them. For a home student like me, going to cambrige means I have one day of interview and have to take the STEP exam in the summer, but going to oxford means i have to take the admissions exam before my 3 days long interviews. And I am more familiar with oxford, that's all :smile:
Reply 53
I heard rumours that oxbridge are going to make offers harder by asking As in all modules rather than 3 overall As? anyone know when it will come into effect?
Reply 54
Hmmm... Haven't heard of that though Alexia89. Can anybody comfirm that rumour? Personally I don't think they'll ask for that though, cos it'll be a total waste of extra paper on your Oxbridge application form =)
Reply 55
Well, someone I know who applied for Economics at Cambridge was asked for a mark of 90+ on each of his maths modules. But I don't think they'll introduce it for Maths itself. I think Oxford are happy with the test set before interviews, and Cambridge are happy with STEP, so there's no need to pile on extra pressure. And well done Strawberry! Which college? I'll hopefully see you there!
Reply 56
Yea I guess. It's quite weird of them to ask for something like that though, and as henryt said with the STEP exam and the tests during the interview they probably won't ask for your marks in the various modules, especially for maths. Probably everybody should be getting close to 90% and above anyway if they're applying for Oxbridge:smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending