The Student Room Group

Is it too late to study medicine post-graduate?

Just as the question says, I want to hear more opinion. Thank you.:h:
What do you mean?

Too late in your life? Or too late in the year?

If it's the latter. Yes, you will need to apply next year.

If it's the former. No. It is not too late unless you say it's too late. There's hundreds of these threads on medical forums and TSR. People have started med school in their late thirties. If you want to pursue medicine, and you have a place at a medical school go for it.

That is all.
Do you mean doing a graduate course? No, there is nothing wrong with that, see here fore the universities that offer them.
Reply 3
Original post by High Stakes
What do you mean?

Too late in your life? Or too late in the year?

If it's the latter. Yes, you will need to apply next year.

If it's the former. No. It is not too late unless you say it's too late. There's hundreds of these threads on medical forums and TSR. People have started med school in their late thirties. If you want to pursue medicine, and you have a place at a medical school go for it.

That is all.

Sorry for making the question unclear. I am an international student from Hong Kong who came to this country to study A-Level for this year. I applied medical school in Hong Kong, but concerning there is only two medical school and the intense competition, I don't think I will get an offer this year. However, I really want to pursue medicine, that's why I am thinking to apply medical school again post-graduate.

I am 18 year old now, and I will be 22 (4-Year Degree Program) when I graduate from universities in Hong Kong, then it takes another 6 year to graduate from medical school. I am not sure is it too late to develop my career at the age of 28.

After all, thank you for your opinion.
Original post by xjessicawux
Sorry for making the question unclear. I am an international student from Hong Kong who came to this country to study A-Level for this year. I applied medical school in Hong Kong, but concerning there is only two medical school and the intense competition, I don't think I will get an offer this year. However, I really want to pursue medicine, that's why I am thinking to apply medical school again post-graduate.

I am 18 year old now, and I will be 22 (4-Year Degree Program) when I graduate from universities in Hong Kong, then it takes another 6 year to graduate from medical school. I am not sure is it too late to develop my career at the age of 28.

After all, thank you for your opinion.

No it's not too late. Are you talking about applying to post-graduate medical schools in the UK?

Let's suppose you do your first degree and come out at 22. The graduate medical course in the UK is 4 years long (an accelerated version). You will leave at the age of 26. Let's suppose you want to retire at 60 (even though that's unlikely in today's economy). You have 34 years. I think you'll have plenty of time to develop your career. :smile: Plenty of people graduate medical school older than you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending