The Student Room Group

I need motivation

I'm basically losing all hope for my A-levels atm (currently AS) and no matter how hard I seem to revise nothing is ever good enough and I'm at the point where I don't even want to revise/do homework because I'm not going to do well even if I do the revision or not. It's really upsets me so much but college just makes me feel so low bc I constantly feel like a failure and I just don't know what I can do to improve my E's and so.

Any motivation and advice would really be appreciated and feel free to ask me any questions. I really need a pep talk :frown:
Original post by eternaforest

I try to
Read De Brevitate Vitae by Seneca. Had me studying for my last set of exams like my life depended on it.

Need to give it another read to remind myself of its principles actually, I've slacked a bit in the new year
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Use Err Name
Read De Brevitate Vitae by Seneca. Had me studying for my last set of exams like my life depended on it.

Need to give it another read to remind myself of its principles actually, I've slacked a bit in the new year

I'll take a look now! Thanks
Reply 5
eternaforest, really?

When i was nervous about how i'd been failing exams I asked a teacher how i could do better, firstly, he said, that i should find out what learning style suits me best. visual, verbal. Well try out this website and take the quiz,
http://www.educationplanner.org/students/self-assessments/learning-styles-quiz.shtml
it should help, and if you get the answer follow up on it, for ways that work with that learning style.
Other then that, Try to be more positive, If you go in, thinking, "I can do this" you will actually be able to do more.

Hope that helps

Take care

Zoe x
Original post by clairerhyannon_
I'm basically losing all hope for my A-levels atm (currently AS) and no matter how hard I seem to revise nothing is ever good enough and I'm at the point where I don't even want to revise/do homework because I'm not going to do well even if I do the revision or not. It's really upsets me so much but college just makes me feel so low bc I constantly feel like a failure and I just don't know what I can do to improve my E's and so.

Any motivation and advice would really be appreciated and feel free to ask me any questions. I really need a pep talk :frown:

I'm sorry to hear that. Have you tried to find out why you feel so low? I mean, I know my old situation might have happened during GCSEs but I had this situation where I just felt like giving up and reaching that point where you just don't revise or do hw. I'm not entirely out of it yet considering I'm still avoiding revising or working hard in one part of my course (AS as well) atm since I feel like it won't really work since I still feel I'd fail either way but I did manage to stop it from affecting all my subjects. I felt that finding out why you feel so low helped me out a lot because when I realised why I felt so low, I managed to get some helpful advice and managed to form a plan on how to feel better.

Maybe give yourself a main goal that doesn't seem to hard but is actually big enough to pull you through. Atm, mine's to get accepted in university and while that seems simple enough (IMO), it actually means that I have to get grades good enough to put me through A-levels and get accepted. It honestly puts pressure on me to do well but not enough to feel so pressured and so stressed that I feel down (although, tbh, i always look and act stress so y'know...)

Also, maybe stop thinking that you need to raise that grade to an A but aim to raise it to a C or a D and then just work your way up to whatever grade you were aiming for originally. It just puts less stress on yourself but puts enough pressure for you to work hard. Or maybe, if you're like a few people I know, aim for the highest grade you can even if its unrealistic because it will push you to work so hard.

What subjects are you doing and what grades are you aiming for in them?

P.S.

Sorry for the horrible grammar 😞
Original post by Zoe33
eternaforest, really?

When i was nervous about how i'd been failing exams I asked a teacher how i could do better, firstly, he said, that i should find out what learning style suits me best. visual, verbal. Well try out this website and take the quiz,
http://www.educationplanner.org/students/self-assessments/learning-styles-quiz.shtml
it should help, and if you get the answer follow up on it, for ways that work with that learning style.
Other then that, Try to be more positive, If you go in, thinking, "I can do this" you will actually be able to do more.

Hope that helps

Take care

Zoe x

Yeah there are more specific routes to overcome problems but general consensus is that if you work harder in long term there will be greater results

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Use Err Name

http://www.forumromanum.org/literature/seneca_younger/brev_e.html

Is this it?

We actually learnt about Seneca at school a few days ago :h:
Reply 9
Original post by eternaforest
Yeah there are more specific routes to overcome problems but general consensus is that if you work harder in long term there will be greater results

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah i get that, i just didn't think "try harder" was really advice, he knows he needs to try harder or he wouldn't be posting the question, he wants to know how to be able to work harder.

Take care

Zoe x
Original post by Zoe33
eternaforest, really?

Hope that helps

Take care

Zoe x

Thank you!! I'll check those out. I'm considering whether it is worth me learning the mark scheme answers whilst I go along the topics, especially when it comes to Biology. The majority of the content I understand it's just when it comes to exam technique I really struggle. But yeah, I suppose I do need to have more of a positive mindset but sometimes all the bad grades just stand out and then I end up feeling like I'm not going to improve. Thanks again :smile:
Reply 11
Thank you!! I'll check those out. I'm considering whether it is worth me learning the mark scheme answers whilst I go along the topics, especially when it comes to Biology. The majority of the content I understand it's just when it comes to exam technique I really struggle. But yeah, I suppose I do need to have more of a positive mindset but sometimes all the bad grades just stand out and then I end up feeling like I'm not going to improve. Thanks again :smile:

You're welcome :smile:, it's just i understand how it feels after failing, you feel kinda useless, but just because one exam didn't go so well, doesn't mean there aren't things you can't do to make things better. Like for me it was my french exams, I failed the first one, and because of that i lost my motivation to try again because i was scared of failing again. and because of that i failed the second one, But after that my teacher pipped in and told me a few things like what i've told you, and if I was more positive, i'd take in more, and be able to do better. When i got my final results I was amazed, she was right, it worked.

Hopefully it helps

Take care

Zoe x
Original post by Firenze26
I'm sorry to hear that. Have you tried to find out why you feel so low? I mean, I know my old situation might have happened during GCSEs but I had this situation where I just felt like giving up and reaching that point where you just don't revise or do hw. I'm not entirely out of it yet considering I'm still avoiding revising or working hard in one part of my course (AS as well) atm since I feel like it won't really work since I still feel I'd fail either way but I did manage to stop it from affecting all my subjects. I felt that finding out why you feel so low helped me out a lot because when I realised why I felt so low, I managed to get some helpful advice and managed to form a plan on how to feel better.

Maybe give yourself a main goal that doesn't seem to hard but is actually big enough to pull you through. Atm, mine's to get accepted in university and while that seems simple enough (IMO), it actually means that I have to get grades good enough to put me through A-levels and get accepted. It honestly puts pressure on me to do well but not enough to feel so pressured and so stressed that I feel down (although, tbh, i always look and act stress so y'know...)

Also, maybe stop thinking that you need to raise that grade to an A but aim to raise it to a C or a D and then just work your way up to whatever grade you were aiming for originally. It just puts less stress on yourself but puts enough pressure for you to work hard. Or maybe, if you're like a few people I know, aim for the highest grade you can even if its unrealistic because it will push you to work so hard.

What subjects are you doing and what grades are you aiming for in them?

P.S.

Sorry for the horrible grammar 😞

I just feel horrible all the time because nothing feels like it is going right for me and no matter how much I seem to work it still doesn't make a difference :/ I have a one-to-one with my tutor soon so hopefully I'll get the chance to bring some of this up and see what she has to say.

I suppose my goal would would too to be able to get into uni, but as you said you need to get the grades for that, and that at the moment seems impossible.

I'm doing Biology, Chemistry and Spanish and for Spanish, I definitely want an A, but that seems a little more achievable as I don't struggle with it as much and I feel a lot more comfortable around my teacher. As for Chemistry and Bio, I would say B's minimum. I think at the moment I just have my expectations too high.

Thank you!! and your grammar is fine :tongue:
Original post by Zoe33
You're welcome :smile:, it's just i understand how it feels after failing, you feel kinda useless, but just because one exam didn't go so well, doesn't mean there aren't things you can't do to make things better. Like for me it was my french exams, I failed the first one, and because of that i lost my motivation to try again because i was scared of failing again. and because of that i failed the second one, But after that my teacher pipped in and told me a few things like what i've told you, and if I was more positive, i'd take in more, and be able to do better. When i got my final results I was amazed, she was right, it worked.

Hopefully it helps

Take care

Zoe x

I do have parents evening the upcoming week so hopefully I'll be able to bring some of this up with my teachers. It doesn't help either that I'm a quieter student and I don't tend to ask for help with things if I need it, which I know is so stupid of me, but that's just how I've always been. I also have two mocks within the next few days and I just know they're not going to go very well but I suppose I'll have to try my best, although I don't have much more time to round off the revision that I've done so far :/
Reply 14
I do have parents evening the upcoming week so hopefully I'll be able to bring some of this up with my teachers. It doesn't help either that I'm a quieter student and I don't tend to ask for help with things if I need it, which I know is so stupid of me, but that's just how I've always been. I also have two mocks within the next few days and I just know they're not going to go very well but I suppose I'll have to try my best, although I don't have much more time to round off the revision that I've done so far :/

Try to think of mock exams as good practice, read the questions, they'll help you figure out what to study for the future.

Take care

Zoe x
I just feel horrible all the time because nothing feels like it is going right for me and no matter how much I seem to work it still doesn't make a difference :/ I have a one-to-one with my tutor soon so hopefully I'll get the chance to bring some of this up and see what she has to say.

I suppose my goal would would too to be able to get into uni, but as you said you need to get the grades for that, and that at the moment seems impossible.

I'm doing Biology, Chemistry and Spanish and for Spanish, I definitely want an A, but that seems a little more achievable as I don't struggle with it as much and I feel a lot more comfortable around my teacher. As for Chemistry and Bio, I would say B's minimum. I think at the moment I just have my expectations too high.

Thank you!! and your grammar is fine :tongue:

I see, I wish I could give you more advice with that but, well, my plan was to abandon what was causing the problem (in my case French) but well, you can't exactly abandon a course so yeah... Have you tried asking for help from your classmates or teachers? Because sometimes they can do stuff that can get the result of a 6-hour long revision in the span of 10-15 minutes.

I hope your tutor would be able to help.

Maybe stop thinking of it as impossible and think of it as really difficult instead. Maybe try and change your mindset and tell yourself that it is possible. It might seem a bit stupid but, changing your mindset can actually work, in some situations. It happened with me and this thing in maths and, somehow, I managed to get a good grade in it.

That's cool. I'm actually having the situation with Biology and, well, y'know... you're not alone. I guess that's the main thing I could say - you're not alone. There are others who are feeling or have felt the same way so a lot of people can help academically or emotionally. Atm, there's a thread for AS maths and one can ask for help with maths in there and they would give you so much help and support in both solving it and understanding it. Maybe there's one for chemistry and biology as well and you can get more help there. I'm pretty sure there's one for Spanish. Emotionally, well, does having a place where you can just talk about your day help? Because there's the year 12 thread where people can talk to other year12s about their course or their school life in general.

Just remember, you're not a failure, you're just undergoing the process of improvement and facing some setbacks that you will totally get over or whatever.

Good luck though, if you need some help with biology or chemistry, well, I'm not that great but y'know...
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
http://www.forumromanum.org/literature/seneca_younger/brev_e.html

Is this it?

We actually learnt about Seneca at school a few days ago :h:

That's the one

Quick Reply

Latest