The Student Room Group

Cambridge offer advice

I applied for 2016 entry and got a deferred offer for 2017 for natural sciences. Should I take a gap year? I love Cambridge and am thrilled to get an offer, but I never expected to have a gap year. How should I decide?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Ofcourse you should! It's definitely worth it! Cambridge is an amazing university, and I really think it's the best decision I've ever made to take a gap year before entering.
Reply 2
A gap year isn't necessarily a year wasted. There are a whole meaningful lot you can do in a year (learn a new language, an instrument, volunteer work, find foster homes for some poor dogs, earn some pocket money, whatever).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you guys. Just asking because I want to weigh my options: is there any way a 2017 deferred offer can be changed back to 2016 entry?
Original post by Lucius Malfoy
Thank you guys. Just asking because I want to weigh my options: is there any way a 2017 deferred offer can be changed back to 2016 entry?

In principle yes, but I've heard it can be difficult. Congratulations on your offer though!

You'd have to contact your University. How did this happen? Did you put the wrong year of start by mistake?
Original post by keromedic
In principle yes, but I've heard it can be difficult. Congratulations on your offer though!

You'd have to contact your University. How did this happen? Did you put the wrong year of start by mistake?

Thank you for your kind words! And no I put the correct year on my application (2016).

I was thinking that people missing their offers/rejecting their offers later could make some space for me; is that wistful thinking?
Or I was thinking: I can go for UCL/Imperial, since I got offers for 2016 entry from both of these fantastic schools too! Is it worth it to reject Cambridge's 2017 offer for UCL/Imperial's 2016 offer? I'm doing natsci by the way.
Is this kind of offer common? I have never heard of an unrequested deferred offer before.

At any rate, your options are extremely good, i.e. UCL/Imperial. What does your gut tell you? Is Cam your first choice by far? What impact would one of those other first class degrees have on your career?

That being said,what are your feelings about a gap year? If you work or live abroad, you will come to Cam a more mature and aware person, perhaps more focused. But you might also feel you are wasting your time.
Have you looked into the course structure / locations of unis / visted unis etc? There's a lot more to choosing a university than just by the name. :smile:
Reply 9
I applied for 2016 entry and got a deferred offer for 2017 for natural sciences. Should I take a gap year? I love Cambridge and am thrilled to get an offer, but I never expected to have a gap year. How should I decide?

I am currently on a gap year (which I didn't intend to have until results day) and it is great! You have the opportunity to do all sorts of things which you haven't had time for thus far. I am confident that I will be in a much better position being a year older before I begin my studies :smile:
Thank you for your kind words! And no I put the correct year on my application (2016).

I was thinking that people missing their offers/rejecting their offers later could make some space for me; is that wistful thinking?

You can contact them and ask; the worst they can say is no - they won't take your offer away from you!

If you like Cambridge best, then take the gap year and go next year. It's a bit of a daunting prospect having a totally empty year, but there are so many awesome things you could do with it - take the opportunity!

Are you young for the year?

Almost regardless of that answer I would say yes do. Work experience is everything when it comes to getting a job, experience working abroad or learning another language are also a huge advantage. You could try for a job in something scientific (lab technician, research assistant and so on) if that appeals or something unrelated like a financial internship or work experience.
So many people end up taking a year off after uni as the lack of work experience means they can't get the job they want.

A year seems such a long time at this stage but a year off intensive work and the extra maturity it brings can be a real asset. I wouldn't now throw away a Cambridge offer for anything. The Cambridge experience is fantastic.
Thank you guys for your helpful and encouraging replies! Are lab posts such as lab technicians easy to find? I feel that most labs would rather find someone qualified than find me (for instance someone with a degree in science).
Original post by alcibiade
Is this kind of offer common? I have never heard of an unrequested deferred offer before.

At any rate, your options are extremely good, i.e. UCL/Imperial. What does your gut tell you? Is Cam your first choice by far? What impact would one of those other first class degrees have on your career?

That being said,what are your feelings about a gap year? If you work or live abroad, you will come to Cam a more mature and aware person, perhaps more focused. But you might also feel you are wasting your time.

I wouldn't say it's common but yes it does happen every year. It's definitely not an extreme rare case.
Reply 14
Thank you guys for your helpful and encouraging replies! Are lab posts such as lab technicians easy to find? I feel that most labs would rather find someone qualified than find me (for instance someone with a degree in science).

You would probably be looking for an internship or similar. And no, they aren't easy to find...

Maybe start here
http://www.futuremorph.org/16plus/next-steps/taking-a-gap-year/

Or YINI (but these are often for UG's in their sandwhich year)
http://www.etrust.org.uk/year-industry/vacancies

MY school used to take Gap year students in the lab and so did the local drug company.
Original post by Colmans
MY school used to take Gap year students in the lab and so did the local drug company.

I *think* the name of your school worked very favourably for the luck of your school mates at the local drug company. . :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending