The Student Room Group

What to drop?

OK, so the situation is this. In September, I (possibly foolishly) accepted the offer to start 5 AS levels in Englsih Literature, Physics, Law, Maths and History. We have just had our January AS Mocks and I got the following:

- Law - Secure A.
- Physics - A (not 100% secure but doable)
- English - Secure B+, on track for an A.
- History - B, on track for an A.
- Maths - C (B in one paper, D/C in the other).

With the aim of giving me AAAA at the end of Y12, I am being encouraged to drop one of the above. I've been told that it is a bit too early to tell what my final grades will be and that if I'm looking at top univeristies then AAAA is better than AAAAB or AAABB. I've also been told that in my case it probably is not worth doing Maths without getting an A. Dropping maths would make Physics at A2 futile but i can't see myself doing a science degree...

Is it worth dropping Maths? Dropping it would give an extra ten hours a fortnight on my timetable and save me from spreading myself too thinly.

Your opinions would be appreciated.
Original post by Atomix330
OK, so the situation is this. In September, I (possibly foolishly) accepted the offer to start 5 AS levels in Englsih Literature, Physics, Law, Maths and History. We have just had our January AS Mocks and I got the following:

- Law - Secure A.
- Physics - A (not 100% secure but doable)
- English - Secure B+, on track for an A.
- History - B, on track for an A.
- Maths - C (B in one paper, D/C in the other).

With the aim of giving me AAAA at the end of Y12, I am being encouraged to drop one of the above. I've been told that it is a bit too early to tell what my final grades will be and that if I'm looking at top univeristies then AAAA is better than AAAAB or AAABB. I've also been told that in my case it probably is not worth doing Maths without getting an A. Dropping maths would make Physics at A2 futile but i can't see myself doing a science degree...

Is it worth dropping Maths? Dropping it would give an extra ten hours a fortnight on my timetable and save me from spreading myself too thinly.

Your opinions would be appreciated.

I think it largely depends on what you want to do at uni.

Before reading your grades, my first impression was to drop Law, but as you got a solid A in that, it seems wasted.

Maths is very attractive on a UCAS application unless you want to do something that clearly has no requirement for it; English for example.

Also, if you're coping with 5 AS levels okay, then why not just carry on and finish them? You seem to be doing well, so perhaps make a bit of extra study time after school to get your desired 5 A's?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest