The Student Room Group
Library, University of East London
University of East London
London
Visit website

Honest feedback!! University of East London

I was excited to start an International Development course at uel this September, but seeing all the negative stuff about the uni on tsr has scared me a little bit, It was my top choice and I was given an unconditional offer but now I'm doubting whether or not to go, so any positive opinions from people going? Or who have gone
Original post by JessK98
I was excited to start an International Development course at uel this September, but seeing all the negative stuff about the uni on tsr has scared me a little bit, It was my top choice and I was given an unconditional offer but now I'm doubting whether or not to go, so any positive opinions from people going? Or who have gone

I'm in EXACTLY the same position! Same course, offer and atm it's my joint first choice! (SOAS being the other.) The college I'm currently at didn't have the best rep either, but I liked the environment when I visited & I love my courses and teachers now. I think I'm just going to wait until the offer holders open day. Then I can make a decision mainly on my own judgement and only a little bit of tsr reviews. :biggrin:
Library, University of East London
University of East London
London
Visit website
Dont go there. East london is horrible
Original post by gracegeorgina
I'm in EXACTLY the same position! Same course, offer and atm it's my joint first choice! (SOAS being the other.) The college I'm currently at didn't have the best rep either, but I liked the environment when I visited & I love my courses and teachers now. I think I'm just going to wait until the offer holders open day. Then I can make a decision mainly on my own judgement and only a little bit of tsr reviews. :biggrin:

Why on earth would you pick UEL over SOAS?? UEL is a terrible university, SOAS at least has a better reputation
Original post by infairverona
Why on earth would you pick UEL over SOAS?? UEL is a terrible university, SOAS at least has a better reputation

Well I want to find out myself really, but you're right, SOASs reputation is way better
Original post by LisaNikita
Dont go there. East london is horrible[/QU

Oh, why'd you think that? did you go?
Well I want to find out myself really, but you're right, SOASs reputation is way better

I mean, you're right of course that you should visit both and see how they feel for you but they are really miles apart in reputation. it's not like you're choosing between two RG unis where it wouldn't make much difference. Unless there is really some huge compelling reason that you prefer UEL, or something you really hate about SOAS, I think you'd be a bit mad to choose UEL over SOAS!
Reply 7
I am in the same position, I like the look of the development course but am a bit dubious about all the uni itself!
Reply 8
Original post by JessK98

I started in September (I'm doing Psychology) and they excel in that area of study so my department is amazing and I've had no issues so far! In all honesty the facilities are brilliant so I'd highly recommend
Original post by jodsss
I started in September (I'm doing Psychology) and they excel in that area of study so my department is amazing and I've had no issues so far! In all honesty the facilities are brilliant so I'd highly recommend

Is the physiology dept. also good? Coz I've received an offer for Medical Physiology from UEL
Reply 10
Original post by JessK98

Just thought I'd add my two cents here... I've had an unconditional offer for this course too, which I've accepted. There is a lot of criticism about UEL on here (although how much of it is from former or current students of UEL isn't clear, since none of them actually say...). I went to the open day in June and and the lecturers in this sector seemed great, and the course really well thought out and structured - that's what has drawn me here. Also being in London seems more desirable (as I also had an unconditional from Portsmouth) as there'll be more jobs and placements available.

The course as well has something like 98% student satisfaction from the national student survey, so I guess there's feedback there directly from former International Development students at UEL.

It is bottom of the league table, but no employer ever asks "where was your university on the league table?", they will ask about your experiences. I'm not saying UEL is top notch, but you get out what you put in.

Obviously, I haven't actually been yet... I just wanted to throw some positivity out there as all the negative reviews (on this forum alone) freaked me about before I came to my senses!

Best of luck with whatever you choose :smile:

Ignore the sad reviews on here. They're mainly from disgruntled people who like to put down others and have little evidence to back up their views. It's a good university with dedicated teaching staff that you won't get in many other so called reputable' colleges. Close to London, good quality learning environment with some state of the art facilities rivalled by very few institutions, and great multicultural student community. It's the future not the past. Most other so called prestigious unis are about as multi cultural as Christchurch. University should be about sharing knowledge across populations, races, abilities, divides, not promulgating a homogenous environment that reinforces accepted views/knowledge and unwilling to critique and challenge existing thinking. That's education - and you don't get it in many universities.
Original post by hkf3456
Just thought I'd add my two cents here... I've had an unconditional offer for this course too, which I've accepted. There is a lot of criticism about UEL on here (although how much of it is from former or current students of UEL isn't clear, since none of them actually say...). I went to the open day in June and and the lecturers in this sector seemed great, and the course really well thought out and structured - that's what has drawn me here. Also being in London seems more desirable (as I also had an unconditional from Portsmouth) as there'll be more jobs and placements available.

The course as well has something like 98% student satisfaction from the national student survey, so I guess there's feedback there directly from former International Development students at UEL.

It is bottom of the league table, but no employer ever asks "where was your university on the league table?", they will ask about your experiences. I'm not saying UEL is top notch, but you get out what you put in.

Obviously, I haven't actually been yet... I just wanted to throw some positivity out there as all the negative reviews (on this forum alone) freaked me about before I came to my senses!

Best of luck with whatever you choose :smile:

WELL SID!! UEL may be towards the lower end of the league table, but league tables don't reflect quality and student experience and are based on rigid and simplistic criteria - eg. impact, research rank - of course the universities which are research intensive will rank higher - but often pay a price in their teaching quality which can be appalling. Put into context that UEL is not as research intensive as some other universities. Once you account for this, it features probably towards the middle of the league table than the bottom. There's much more to a good quality education than the reputation of a college or its rank. It's what you put in and how you can embrace the opportunities on offer.
Is it really that bad?
No. Sad people blaming their own failures on uel. They blame everyone but themselves.
Original post by JessK98
I was excited to start an International Development course at uel this September, but seeing all the negative stuff about the uni on tsr has scared me a little bite

I'm in EXACTLY the same position! Same course, offer and atm it's my joint first choice! (SOAS being the other.)

Would love to know where you both decided to go, im currently looking at development for both SOAS and UEL, UEL being the NGO management and international development which looks awesome

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending