Biggest academic achievement?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by physicsmaths
Haha precisely how my exams went for gcse science 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

At least I am not alone... :smile: :hugs:
85% in a second year exam (worth 50% of a module) :redface:
Also my 98% in C2, could've gotten 100 but I made a simple arithmetic mistake :|
Reply 42
Original post by InadequateJusticex
85% in a second year exam (worth 50% of a module) :redface:
Also my 98% in C2, could've gotten 100 but I made a simple arithmetic mistake :|

In one of my maths exams, I'm very sure I got 1 + 1 = 1.

:redface:
I don't have any academic achievements.

I smashed the CATs tests though :tongue:

I was also one of those maths kids who was sitting in year 6 classes when I was much younger, but that didn't amount to anything at all.

So, if I had to pick an actual achievement, I would probably say gaining any qualifications at all after being expelled 4 times. :lol:
Original post by Ravenous
When you do an assignment, make sure the presentation (including references and reference list) is 100% perfect, also send it to your lecturer/ seminar teacher when you've done it (much before the deadline) and ask for them to look over it and give you suggestions to improve it. Then implement all the changes they suggested into your assignment. Bound to get high 2:1 or 1st.

Is this just for coursework? or class essays and stuff too? So send it to them twice?, the first time ask for their opinion,second time- improved version with implemented advice. Thanks man:-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 45
Original post by Foo.mp3
Don't like to boast/gloat, and rarely mention such things, but being as you asked, OP, I suppose it's a toss up between my:

Academic Achievement Award (£1,000, for coming in the top 2% or something, in the 1st year)

Peter Campbell Prize (£50, for achieving the highest mark in International Relations and Strategic Studies [hundreds of students], 1st year)

Dissertation (both in terms of the finished article, and the mark [80%, practically unheard of in my discipline])

First-class degree, in the context of a 12 year battle through university with ME/CFS and finals sat in spite of being very ill/sleep deprived indeed

you win haha :daydreaming:
Reply 46
Original post by callum_law
What did you spend the money on?

Saved it for uni :K:...

To be honest I didn't really need anything at that time so I made sure I didn't waste all that money on silly things.
Original post by Foo.mp3
Whatever you reckon son :yy:

I am not at all dismissing your accomplishments, but one has to put them in context.
Original post by callum_law
Yeah, but Reading so it doesn't count.

lol rekt
95% UMS in AS physics last year lol... Was really shocked actually since I never got anything above a B in my Unit 2 mocks
Original post by Marshmallow9999
Is this just for coursework? or class essays and stuff too? So send it to them twice?, the first time ask for their opinion,second time- improved version with implemented advice. Thanks man:-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

For anything that contributes to your module grade tbh. No prob
Getting a First in my undergraduate degree, and the Board of Examiners' Final Year Prize. My mum was diagnosed with terminal cancer in my second year so it was a horrible horrible final year of my degree in the end (my mum died the month after I graduated), so I was proud of doing ok despite that. I also got 90% on one of my essay-based exams in second year, 80% on another, and 78% on another when I was in second year, despite being detained on a s.136 and taken to hospital by the police 3 times within 7 days on the week I had my exams. Particularly surprising because my attendance was shocking, quite frankly - I attended a grand total of I think 6 lectures in second year and 4 in final year. :redface:

During my MSc, my biggest achievement was:

a) graduating with a Merit and actually walking across the stage at the graduation ceremony, despite having to take 6 months out of uni when I was admitted to hospital for 5 months due to anorexia
b) getting 78% on my first MSc essay and 80% on two of my essay assignments
c) learning to start communicating, and managing to whisper 3 words out loud in front of my seminar group (7 people) in our final session before Christmas :smile:
d) doing my first ever presentation! (sitting down next to just my two lecturers and reading off the laptop, not actually 'presenting' but still. Speaking!)

I don't make life easy for myself. >.<
Original post by Liv1204
Getting a First in my undergraduate degree, and the Board of Examiners' Final Year Prize. My mum was diagnosed with terminal cancer in my second year so it was a horrible horrible final year of my degree in the end (my mum died the month after I graduated), so I was proud of doing ok despite that. I also got 90% on one of my essay-based exams in second year, 80% on another, and 78% on another when I was in second year, despite being detained on a s.136 and taken to hospital by the police 3 times within 7 days on the week I had my exams. Particularly surprising because my attendance was shocking, quite frankly - I attended a grand total of I think 6 lectures in second year and 4 in final year. :redface:

During my MSc, my biggest achievement was:

a) graduating with a Merit and actually walking across the stage at the graduation ceremony, despite having to take 6 months out of uni when I was admitted to hospital for 5 months due to anorexia
b) getting 78% on my first MSc essay and 80% on two of my essay assignments
c) learning to start communicating, and managing to whisper 3 words out loud in front of my seminar group (7 people) in our final session before Christmas :smile:
d) doing my first ever presentation! (sitting down next to just my two lecturers and reading off the laptop, not actually 'presenting' but still. Speaking!)

I don't make life easy for myself. >.<

Wow man, that's honestly incredible 😮
What would you say was your secret to success for your first class degree? I'm starting uni this year :c
I'm really sorry to hear about your mum, but she would be so proud of you and your results and all that you have achieved 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wow man, that's honestly incredible 😮
What would you say was your secret to success for your first class degree? I'm starting uni this year :c
I'm really sorry to hear about your mum, but she would be so proud of you and your results and all that you have achieved 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you, very much appreciated. :smile:

My main tip for getting a First class degree is pretty boring but: Be organised! Try and stay ahead of time.

I kind of had to because of not attending lectures, but I effectively taught myself from home. They usually give you some kind of handbook/information on Moodle on what the topic will be each week, so I used to write up any lecture notes in advance (if the slides were up, or asap afterwards), doing the essential and recommended readings weeks in advance and write up notes as I was reading, and that meant I had my entire year's worth of notes/revision completed way in advance of actually finishing, which meant more time to revise and cut down those notes! You have to be organised to get it done in advance, but it's often possible (e.g. making a start in the holidays before things actually begin), and it means that then if you feel like being lazy one week and don't get much done, you can do that because you're ahead of time anyway.

I would also recommend:
Typing up notes as you go along, as I said. I didn't ever have lecture notes (because I rarely attended :redface:) but once I had notes from books/journals all written up, it makes revision so easy.
Find a method of revision that works for you! Sounds obvious haha. I used to use a different colour (all my revision was on my laptop) for each subheading, and just revise by cutting down and shortening notes until it was as concise as possible, and it really works.
Don't just read the essential readings (usually textbook chapters at first). Journal articles and primary sources are best!
Speak to lecturers. At my undergrad uni they didn't really do that much, but my postgrad uni was much smaller and we used to really discuss things and have regular meetings with lecturers/supervisors, and it is so much more productive.

Hope that helps a bit! :smile:
Original post by Liv1204
Thank you, very much appreciated. :smile:

My main tip for getting a First class degree is pretty boring but: Be organised! Try and stay ahead of time.

I kind of had to because of not attending lectures, but I effectively taught myself from home. They usually give you some kind of handbook/information on Moodle on what the topic will be each week, so I used to write up any lecture notes in advance (if the slides were up, or asap afterwards), doing the essential and recommended readings weeks in advance and write up notes as I was reading, and that meant I had my entire year's worth of notes/revision completed way in advance of actually finishing, which meant more time to revise and cut down those notes! You have to be organised to get it done in advance, but it's often possible (e.g. making a start in the holidays before things actually begin), and it means that then if you feel like being lazy one week and don't get much done, you can do that because you're ahead of time anyway.

I would also recommend:
Typing up notes as you go along, as I said. I didn't ever have lecture notes (because I rarely attended :redface:) but once I had notes from books/journals all written up, it makes revision so easy.
Find a method of revision that works for you! Sounds obvious haha. I used to use a different colour (all my revision was on my laptop) for each subheading, and just revise by cutting down and shortening notes until it was as concise as possible, and it really works.
Don't just read the essential readings (usually textbook chapters at first). Journal articles and primary sources are best!
Speak to lecturers. At my undergrad uni they didn't really do that much, but my postgrad uni was much smaller and we used to really discuss things and have regular meetings with lecturers/supervisors, and it is so much more productive.

Hope that helps a bit! :smile:

Screenshotted and I'll use it as a Bible at uni 😮
Which uni did you go to and what did you study? Did you find the coursework part of the course easier than the exam part, or the other way round? 😎

Posted from TSR Mobile
Screenshotted and I'll use it as a Bible at uni 😮
Which uni did you go to and what did you study? Did you find the coursework part of the course easier than the exam part, or the other way round? 😎

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha, well I hope you find it helpful! I think in some ways it's just about finding what motivates you. I had the internal motivation to want to do the best I could (because I am a perfectionist haha, but also because I wanted to make my mum proud), and it meant I was always motivated to work hard. Whatever works for you!

I went to Kent Uni for undergrad, studying Psychology. For my Masters (Sport & Exercise Psych) I was at Chi Uni, which is much smaller but actually was a far better university for me and I thrived there.

Coursework vs exams can vary! Personally I find revising for exams far more stressful than the exam itself, because at least exams are over after the 3 hours or so. Coursework is 'nicer' in that you obviously look up references, read your notes etc but it depends on the subject! My MSc uni did a much wider variety of assignments at undergrad - when I was at Kent it was very much writing reports and essays for coursework, my fellow postgrads who had been at Chi had done things at undergrad like poster presentations, making DVDs in group projects, individual case studies, and that all sounds far more interesting to me!
Original post by Liv1204
Haha, well I hope you find it helpful! I think in some ways it's just about finding what motivates you. I had the internal motivation to want to do the best I could (because I am a perfectionist haha, but also because I wanted to make my mum proud), and it meant I was always motivated to work hard. Whatever works for you!

I went to Kent Uni for undergrad, studying Psychology. For my Masters (Sport & Exercise Psych) I was at Chi Uni, which is much smaller but actually was a far better university for me and I thrived there.

Coursework vs exams can vary! Personally I find revising for exams far more stressful than the exam itself, because at least exams are over after the 3 hours or so. Coursework is 'nicer' in that you obviously look up references, read your notes etc but it depends on the subject! My MSc uni did a much wider variety of assignments at undergrad - when I was at Kent it was very much writing reports and essays for coursework, my fellow postgrads who had been at Chi had done things at undergrad like poster presentations, making DVDs in group projects, individual case studies, and that all sounds far more interesting to me!

I'm deciding between an exam-heavy course at a Russell Group uni, and a coursework-heavy course at a less-prestigious uni.Think I'm leaning towards the coursework uni- it'll hopefully be less stressful and let me enjoy uni more and get more involved in clubs and things 😯
I think the main motivation will just be the greater oopportunities when I finish :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Probably managing to get into university, I never thought in a million years I'd end up here, and one of the first family members to do so, that's mine as my A-levels were meh at best.
100% in iGCSE physics tops it but I was so happy with my A in Lit. I was settled for a C.
Reply 59
Full marks in History and Food Tech GCSE, highest in year in General Studies mocks, getting an A in English Lit AS without revising (don't do that, please revise) and my unconditional Leicester offer for Law with Politics (probs be my insurance but still) WELL DONE WITH ALL OF YOURS, THEY'RE AMAZING!!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest