The Student Room Group

RAF OASC Interview questions

Im reapplying to the RAF this year having failed my previous application. This, of course gives me the advantage of knowing what's to come. When I attended last time (in October 2015), in my interview, I was asked a numerous amount of times "How would you be assessed if you were to undergo, Initial Officer Training, Elementary Flying Training, Basic Fast-Jet Training...etc?". I didn't know the answers to these questions last time, hence the reason im looking to cover it this time. There are a couple of different ways of interpretting these questions and I can't find the answers I'm looking for, for one of the interpretations on the internet.

Can anyone give me any guidance on how you would be assessed in the different stages of RAF training?
You need to be more specific. Which What 'couple of ways' are you interpreting the questions and which interpretation are you struggling with?
Original post by Mike373
Im reapplying to the RAF this year having failed my previous application. This, of course gives me the advantage of knowing what's to come. When I attended last time (in October 2015), in my interview, I was asked a numerous amount of times "How would you be assessed if you were to undergo, Initial Officer Training, Elementary Flying Training, Basic Fast-Jet Training...etc?". I didn't know the answers to these questions last time, hence the reason im looking to cover it this time. There are a couple of different ways of interpretting these questions and I can't find the answers I'm looking for, for one of the interpretations on the internet.

Can anyone give me any guidance on how you would be assessed in the different stages of RAF training?

I find the "how would you be assessed at EFT, BJFT etc" question surprising; at EFT the students get briefed when they arrive on how they are assessed and the reporting structure they will encounter. Other than it being a meritocratic system which, within the service need, rewards ability and achievement as much as possible, there isn't much you'd need to know.

Where and how long are these courses? What would happen if you didn't get to BFJT? What would you do if you weren't selected for your chosen branch? They would seem more reasonable.

If you really want to know how you'd be assessed on EFT and BFJT feel free to send a PM.:smile:
Reply 3
Original post by ProStacker
You need to be more specific. Which What 'couple of ways' are you interpreting the questions and which interpretation are you struggling with?

Well, for example, if I was doing A-Level exams, one way to interpret is that the way I would be assessed is by examination papers. Another way, also on the example of A-level exams, is that I'm being assessed on the human body in biology. This is less likely but after there being some ambiguity in my last interview, I would not rule it out.

See, if it is the latter, then I have some logical answers to the questions, but if it is the first then I cannot find anything anywhere, hence the reason I decided to use the student room.
Reply 4
Original post by Fritz Bollinger
I find the "how would you be assessed at EFT, BJFT etc" question surprising; at EFT the students get briefed when they arrive on how they are assessed and the reporting structure they will encounter. Other than it being a meritocratic system which, within the service need, rewards ability and achievement as much as possible, there isn't much you'd need to know.

Where and how long are these courses? What would happen if you didn't get to BFJT? What would you do if you weren't selected for your chosen branch? They would seem more reasonable.

If you really want to know how you'd be assessed on EFT and BFJT feel free to send a PM.:smile:

I know, I didn't expect it either but I heard what I heard and if they asked it once then there is a chance they will ask it again. They expect you to have some knowledge about it to prove that you have indeed researched what you will be going through as a cadet and then junior officer as this shows the commitment.

I was also asked those other questions you mentioned. It threw me a bit which is, of course, something I will have to work on in an interview environment for my next attempt.

That would be useful to know. At least the fundementals of it. Its something I've looked for but simply cannot find, not even on their own website yet they still asked me in the interview.
Reply 5
It is worth pointing out that they will ask you questions you don't know the answer to. If you seem knowledgeable on a subject they'll keep digging until you get to the point where your knowledge runs out.

What they're testing is not what you know, but how you react: Do you waffle on making **** up and trying to wing it, or do you admit that you don't know something but you would know how you can find out?
Reply 6
Original post by Drewski
It is worth pointing out that they will ask you questions you don't know the answer to. If you seem knowledgeable on a subject they'll keep digging until you get to the point where your knowledge runs out.

What they're testing is not what you know, but how you react: Do you waffle on making **** up and trying to wing it, or do you admit that you don't know something but you would know how you can find out?

I had a feeling this may be the case. I admit when I do not know the answer but the way it comes across, in hind sight, isn't as good as it could be.

Quick Reply

Latest