The Student Room Group

I only seem to be getting 38 mpg , mostly urban but with some short extra urban trips

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JC.
39mpg. LOL... cute!

Original post by I love life

3. Well, maybe the damaged mass air flow wiring loom may account for it, it has triggered engine light and I need it fixed asap and need to find wiring harness for it, been like this for months, and maybe a fuel injector or 2 may be at fault.

what is cute, why is 38 mpg cute ??
and what do you mean by '' a hamster under the bonnet in a wheel ??

jc it's true the car i had some fun with was my uncles maserati quattroporte what's that about half the mpg of a focus that's a mean machine on a real budget as it cost him £15,000 brand new (as one of three reclaimed in a bankruptcy case and he bought them as a single set sold two and kept the last one)

i love life you have worked out the obvious faults just get it checked and fixed now but well 38mpg is quite high compared to some of the more wild rides that jc owns and has owned an i have had some fun with like the one above in the past and basically on the same tangent the line is to say it not exactly say a 6.3l v12 in an amg merc or the 11l in a 70's top of the line lincoln or chevy
Reply 21
Original post by jamesthehustler
jc it's true the car i had some fun with was my uncles maserati quattroporte what's that about half the mpg of a focus that's a mean machine on a real budget as it cost him £15,000 brand new (as one of three reclaimed in a bankruptcy case and he bought them as a single set sold two and kept the last one)

i love life you have worked out the obvious faults just get it checked and fixed now but well 38mpg is quite high compared to some of the more wild rides that jc owns and has owned an i have had some fun with like the one above in the past and basically on the same tangent the line is to say it not exactly say a 6.3l v12 in an amg merc or the 11l in a 70's top of the line lincoln or chevy

I've not had maserati yet. Driven one, though. Might have been a quattroporte, thinking about it... it was a drop top with a Ferrari engine in it. 2000 and something model? I'm not really up on their range to be honest. It was a case of the opportunity presented itself and I said "yes please". I've never had a Ferrari either... came very close to buying a 308 once, but it wasn't meant to be. I'd definately give a 360 garage space despite it being a modern, but that'd require parting with more beer tokens than I have to spend at the moment as my garage is currently playing host to a bit of detroit V8 muscle. :wink:
To keep the thread on topic, it seems to be fairly economical, though? 18mpg... Extra Urban. :wink:

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by JC.
I've not had maserati yet. Driven one, though. Might have been a quattroporte, thinking about it... it was a drop top with a Ferrari engine in it. 2000 and something model? I'm not really up on their range to be honest. It was a case of the opportunity presented itself and I said "yes please". I've never had a Ferrari either... came very close to buying a 308 once, but it wasn't meant to be. I'd definately give a 360 garage space despite it being a modern, but that'd require parting with more beer tokens than I have to spend at the moment as my garage is currently playing host to a bit of detroit V8 muscle. :wink:
To keep the thread on topic, it seems to be fairly economical, though? 18mpg... Extra Urban. :wink:

the 200 was a little earlier that the current quattroporte which were either convertible or a two/four door saloon i know one guy near me has a converted rolls royce silver spur changed with a chevrolet seville's 9.5l v8 from the 70's rather than the 'timid' 6.75l standard and he reckons the miles per gallon is around 7 as his duel feed tank carries 100 gallons at full capacity (he had the boot removed and the whole back end is now a fuel tank) and he admitted blowing the head gasket (a £13,000 repair job) in a standing start from a set of traffic lights fed a gallion of fuel out in around half a mile against a new porshe 911 at the time back in 2009 but he won the race and has a hell of a lot of money that with assets must be heading close to £10,000,000
I might be reading it wrong, but did you say that the factory testing showed 39.2 for your kind of driving, and you're getting 38?
Original post by XMaramena
I might be reading it wrong, but did you say that the factory testing showed 39.2 for your kind of driving, and you're getting 38?

No, you did not read wrong, you read correct

Regards- OP
No, you did not read wrong, you read correct

Regards- OP

You're complaining about a 1.2mpg difference between factory conditions where the car is being driven by someone whose sole job is to drive as efficiently as possible to get good numbers, and yourself?
You're complaining about a 1.2mpg difference between factory conditions where the car is being driven by someone whose sole job is to drive as efficiently as possible to get good numbers, and yourself?

The written mpg for my car

Urban - 39 . 2
EXTR RBAN - 64.2
COMNINED - 52.1

If you read my thread I told you I had done several short motorway journeys too, yet the mpg I achieved was less than the statistics for urban only.

If I had done only urban miles and only got 38 mpg I would be very happy, but I did a few combined journeys so I was expecting to get around 45 mpg
Then it's your driving. Learn about driving economically.
Then it's your driving. Learn about driving economically.

It's not, don't be so rude (lol)

I drive often in a way that I think is Eco friendly so doubt it's that
Sell the car and use public transport or cycle or walk.
Original post by barnetlad
Sell the car and use public transport or cycle or walk.

No

It's not that I cannot afford the fuel, I spend around £70 per week on fuel in my last car so I bought a diesel and I would like better fuel economy, not that I can't afford it, far from it.
Just don't like paying too much when I can't see where it is going

And sometimes I do get on the bus because I enjoy it sometimes
No

It's not that I cannot afford the fuel, I spend around £70 per week on fuel in my last car so I bought a diesel and I would like better fuel economy, not that I can't afford it, far from it.
Just don't like paying too much when I can't see where it is going

And sometimes I do get on the bus because I enjoy it sometimes

I don't know about you, but if I were driving 500+ miles a week (roughly what £70 a week will get you in a diesel car like that) then I could definitely see where that money was going!

I'm wondering how you rack up that kinda mileage. What job do you have or where do you drive to drive 100 miles a day? I drive 100-150 miles a day for my job and I spend half my shift driving.
Original post by Nuffles
I don't know about you, but if I were driving 500+ miles a week (roughly what £70 a week will get you in a diesel car like that) then I could definitely see where that money was going!

I'm wondering how you rack up that kinda mileage. What job do you have or where do you drive to drive 100 miles a day? I drive 100-150 miles a day for my job and I spend half my shift driving.

I drive here there and lots of places. I am not working atm but drive the gym, go on lots of days out sometimes very far, sometimes just drive for the fun of it.

maybe if I drive at a slower speed doing motorway journeys I can get past 50 mpg , especialoly when the problem with my MAF sensor and it's wiring is sorted

It only takes 43 or 44 litres to fill as soon as low fuel light comes on to full brim .

I should be able to get 500 miles from a tank if I did a lot of motorway trips at slow speed
(edited 8 years ago)
I drive a 2006 mk2 focus sport 1.8 TDCI

my approx. fuel figures

urban. 39.2
extra urban - 64.2
combined - 52.3

I have been driving around 90% urban and 10 % extra urban, some short motorway trips of around 20 miles mixed in and usually going 65 mph on the MW.
I often drive in an eco friendly manner too

But when I use online mpg calculator I only seem to be getting 38 mpg despite the lowest written mpg for my car being 39.2 which is urban only and I don't seem to be getting that , only get around 38 mpg and that is some short motorway trips too.

Usually by the time my fuel gauge gets to half way I am lucky to have covered 200 miles and by the time the fuel light comes on, only around 400 miles

it takes around 43 litres to fill car once light comes on

any ideas ?

Quoted combined economy for your car is 54mpg.

You're apparently getting 52.3mpg.

What exactly are you complaining about?
Original post by mackemforever
Quoted combined economy for your car is 54mpg.

You're apparently getting 52.3mpg.

What exactly are you complaining about?

NO !!

I have been getting 38- 40 mpg with mostly urban but several short motorway journey,s

Never said I was getting 52.3 mpg
NO !!

I have been getting 38- 40 mpg with mostly urban but several short motorway journey,s

Never said I was getting 52.3 mpg

So what's the table you've put at the start of your post where you've said your approximate combined fuel consumption is 52.3mpg?

Anyway, even if you're only getting 40 then that's about right for that car.

The economy figures that are quoted for cars are pretty much a complete lie.

Cars are tested on a rolling road, which has less rolling resistance than would be experienced on a real road, with all electronics (such as air conditioning, lights, radio, etc.) turned off, with acceleration controlled in such a fashion that it is as economical as possible, and with zero heavy or unexpected acceleration.

The figures that are given for cars are nothing more than an indication of economy. If car A is quoted as 50mpg and car B as 40mpg this doesn't mean that you will personally get 50mpg from car A and 40mpg from car B, it simply means that if you buy car A you will get more miles to the gallon than you would if you bought car B.
So what's the table you've put at the start of your post where you've said your approximate combined fuel consumption is 52.3mpg?

Anyway, even if you're only getting 40 then that's about right for that car.

The economy figures that are quoted for cars are pretty much a complete lie.

Cars are tested on a rolling road, which has less rolling resistance than would be experienced on a real road, with all electronics (such as air conditioning, lights, radio, etc.) turned off, with acceleration controlled in such a fashion that it is as economical as possible, and with zero heavy or unexpected acceleration.

The figures that are given for cars are nothing more than an indication of economy. If car A is quoted as 50mpg and car B as 40mpg this doesn't mean that you will personally get 50mpg from car A and 40mpg from car B, it simply means that if you buy car A you will get more miles to the gallon than you would if you bought car B.

No

I have written down the statistics that are written for the mpg of my car which are as follows

. Urban- 39.2
Extra urban - 64.2
combined - 52.3

I said I only seem to be getting around 38 - 40 mpg and this is with urban miles mostly but also a few motorway trips mixed in too , but only several short motorway journeys of around 15 miles a time.

I may reach past 50 mpg or maybe 50 plus if I was to drive mostly on motorways at around 60 - 65 mpg. I will have to check next time I do a long motorway trip.

But if the combined mpg is 52.3 and the extra urban is 64.2, I most certainly should be able to see 55 mpg plus on long MW journeys and a mix of urban and lots of combined trips.

I will sort out the issue with my MAF wiring loom and check other bits and that will improve my fuel economy once sorted.

I have noticed, Once I fill the car to the brim (which is every week at least or even midweek if it gets below half way ) it only takes about 10 miles of driving for the needle to drop but on my previous car I could do 60- 70 miles until I could see the needle move from brim
(edited 8 years ago)
But if the combined mpg is 52.3 and the extra urban is 64.2, I most certainly should be able to see 55 mpg plus on long MW journeys and a mix of urban and lots of combined trips.

Are you driving at exactly 70mph with no acceleration, almost zero wind resistance, on a perfect road surface with much lower than normal rolling resistance and with all the electronics in your car turned off?
Are you driving at exactly 70mph with no acceleration, almost zero wind resistance, on a perfect road surface with much lower than normal rolling resistance and with all the electronics in your car turned off?

nope, usually at 60 - 65 mph when trying to achieve a decent mpg reading. I know it will help when I get the damaged maf wiring loom replaced, I am actually expecting the wires to arrive next week, a scrap yard has found a car the same as mine, same engine code with 6 wires, he has cut loom and is going to give me plug with a lot of wire to solder on

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending