The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

PGDip Nursing

Hey all!

There are a great deal of general nursing threads going on which I think mainly have BSc applicants in them. Been finding it tough to find my fellow PGDip applicants.

I have been given a conditional offer for King's for Adult Nursing to start Sept 2016. Just gotta do my APEL.

Anyone else? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Congrats on the offer! I've had my MMIs on Monday, just waiting to hear back from them now. I completely agree, though, that everything seems to be BSc on the forums. Makes me feel old and I'm only 23!
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by Bioscientist_
Congrats on the offer! I've had my MMIs on Monday, just waiting to hear back from them now. I completely agree, though, that everything seems to be BSc on the forums. Makes me feel old and I'm only 23!

How did you find the MMIs? It took me almost 2 weeks to find out so good luck!! Yeah same as, i'm almost 27... really don't feel it though at all haha. Have you applied to other universities?
I got along so so well with the guy who was on my first station (who I also saw again at the end). I found them okay, but it's just so hard to tell I think. I'm hating the wait though because every shift I go in the girls are asking me if I've heard back yet. Young at heart, that's all that matters :smile:

I applied to Kingston, City, LSBU as well as Kings initially. Kingston got back to me within a day and offered me interview & tests which I did in December, rang me up 2 days later with an offer. I withdrew from City and Southbank after that so it's just Kings now. I work at the hospital currently as an hca so would love to get in to the uni and get Kings as my host trust too for placement.

Are you firming Kings or have you got other offers/interviews in the pipeline too?

Original post by cazcar19
How did you find the MMIs? It took me almost 2 weeks to find out so good luck!! Yeah same as, i'm almost 27... really don't feel it though at all haha. Have you applied to other universities?
Reply 4
I got along so so well with the guy who was on my first station (who I also saw again at the end). I found them okay, but it's just so hard to tell I think. I'm hating the wait though because every shift I go in the girls are asking me if I've heard back yet. Young at heart, that's all that matters :smile:

I applied to Kingston, City, LSBU as well as Kings initially. Kingston got back to me within a day and offered me interview & tests which I did in December, rang me up 2 days later with an offer. I withdrew from City and Southbank after that so it's just Kings now. I work at the hospital currently as an hca so would love to get in to the uni and get Kings as my host trust too for placement.

Are you firming Kings or have you got other offers/interviews in the pipeline too?

It is so hard to tell but I came out of it quite positive so I think that's a good sign, it sounds like you are more on the positive side too :smile:

I applied to Kings, City, LSBU, UWL and Buck's. I had offers for all except LSBU . I withdrew that one before my interview date as I already had my top two choices, which are King's (firm) and City (insurance). Just currently doing my APLs at the moment to turn my offers into unconditional. Can't be completely excited until that happens :P
Reply 5
Hiya, PgDip Child here. KCL is my firm. I'm waiting for a response to my APEL that I sent in January and then obviously need to get a 2:1. :smile:

Congratulations on your offers! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by fc93
Hiya, PgDip Child here. KCL is my firm. I'm waiting for a response to my APEL that I sent in January and then obviously need to get a 2:1. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congrats to you also :smile:

I've sent off my King's APEL too. But as it's going to take so long, i'm also doing my insurance APEL (City) just in case :P Which is way longer than King's was. If the APEL is failed do we get another chance, do you know? I'm sure mine will be fine but you know... worries.
Reply 7
Congrats to you also :smile:

I've sent off my King's APEL too. But as it's going to take so long, i'm also doing my insurance APEL (City) just in case :P Which is way longer than King's was. If the APEL is failed do we get another chance, do you know? I'm sure mine will be fine but you know... worries.

I'm doing my insurance APEL too which is for LSBU. It's pretty similar to the Kings one but thankfully not due in until June! I had an offer from City but turned it down though I'd prefer their APEL as I find essay writing easier!

I'm not sure in terms of failing, I was wondering the same! I remember reading somewhere something about them wanting the APEL 4 weeks from your offer date "to allow you to make changes" which to me implies you might get to re-do it. I'm not really sure how you would fail it though unless you couldn't write something for most of the boxes? I didn't complete one about social sciences because my degree is Biology so I haven't done any Psychology type stuff. I've been waiting about 4 weeks so far.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It is so hard to tell but I came out of it quite positive so I think that's a good sign, it sounds like you are more on the positive side too :smile:

I applied to Kings, City, LSBU, UWL and Buck's. I had offers for all except LSBU . I withdrew that one before my interview date as I already had my top two choices, which are King's (firm) and City (insurance). Just currently doing my APLs at the moment to turn my offers into unconditional. Can't be completely excited until that happens :P

Yeah I would definitely say so, cautiously positive about it. I really just want to get my response now, whether yes or no.

Original post by fc93

Posted from TSR Mobile

How confusing is the APEL? One of the girls has said she will help with me with mine because it was quite long-winded when she did it. Has me worrying a bit, although having 1.5 yrs experience as an HCA I thought would count as enough experience but I don't really understand the process. I'm hoping Kingston's one isn't too bad either
Reply 9
Original post by fc93
I'm doing my insurance APEL too which is for LSBU. It's pretty similar to the Kings one but thankfully not due in until June! I had an offer from City but turned it down though I'd prefer their APEL as I find essay writing easier!

I'm not sure in terms of failing, I was wondering the same! I remember reading somewhere something about them wanting the APEL 4 weeks from your offer date "to allow you to make changes" which to me implies you might get to re-do it. I'm not really sure how you would fail it though unless you couldn't write something for most of the boxes? I didn't complete one about social sciences because my degree is Biology so I haven't done any Psychology type stuff. I've been waiting about 4 weeks so far.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah that was my understanding of it as well, thanks! I only sent mine just under 2 weeks ago so I reckon I've got a while to wait yet.
Yeah I would definitely say so, cautiously positive about it. I really just want to get my response now, whether yes or no.

How confusing is the APEL? One of the girls has said she will help with me with mine because it was quite long-winded when she did it. Has me worrying a bit, although having 1.5 yrs experience as an HCA I thought would count as enough experience but I don't really understand the process. I'm hoping Kingston's one isn't too bad either

Hi Bioscientist,

It's great to hear that you're considering Kingston.

Please let me know if you have any questions that I can help you with.

Chloe :smile:
Student Ambassador
Reply 11

Heya are you still waiting to hear back from your interview? :smile: The APEL is pretty simple but it is very long! It's basically a big table with lots of qualities/skills they want you to show you have and you just have to write a little bit about how your experience is relevant to that skill. You can relate it to your degree too for the academic skills and the HCA work for the caring side of it. Then you just have to submit evidence of your experience with a signature. So it's quite straightforward just a bit time consuming! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Yeah that was my understanding of it as well, thanks! I only sent mine just under 2 weeks ago so I reckon I've got a while to wait yet.

Yeah I sent mine in on the 12th Jan but they didn't acknowledge getting it until the 20th or so and I'm still waiting, but I suppose it's their busiest time. I'll let you know when I hear though! I'm like you in that I think it should be fine but the waiting is making me very nervous!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fc93
Heya are you still waiting to hear back from your interview? :smile: The APEL is pretty simple but it is very long! It's basically a big table with lots of qualities/skills they want you to show you have and you just have to write a little bit about how your experience is relevant to that skill. You can relate it to your degree too for the academic skills and the HCA work for the caring side of it. Then you just have to submit evidence of your experience with a signature. So it's quite straightforward just a bit time consuming! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah ok thanks, yeah definitely just sounds time consuming rather than difficult. Suppose they have no other way to check you have the right experience to do PGDip over BSc.

I'm still waiting to hear back from my interview yeah, guessing that as it's been a few days now that I wasn't in the immediate yes or immediate no pile. No news is good news and all that jazz :s-smilie:
Reply 14
Ah ok thanks, yeah definitely just sounds time consuming rather than difficult. Suppose they have no other way to check you have the right experience to do PGDip over BSc.

I'm still waiting to hear back from my interview yeah, guessing that as it's been a few days now that I wasn't in the immediate yes or immediate no pile. No news is good news and all that jazz :s-smilie:

I didn't hear back for just over two weeks I think! So don't worry. :smile: It just takes time as they are doing majority of the interviews now and the MMI stuff has to all be put together.
Reply 15
Original post by fc93
Yeah I sent mine in on the 12th Jan but they didn't acknowledge getting it until the 20th or so and I'm still waiting, but I suppose it's their busiest time. I'll let you know when I hear though! I'm like you in that I think it should be fine but the waiting is making me very nervous!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes please that would be so helpful. I'm still chasing up my previous employer for the sign off of my hours at the moment so that's the only bit not done. That's making me the most nervous. Im surprised im not a nervous wreck after this whole application process, so much more stressful than when i applied to uni the first time.
Reply 16
Yes please that would be so helpful. I'm still chasing up my previous employer for the sign off of my hours at the moment so that's the only bit not done. That's making me the most nervous. Im surprised im not a nervous wreck after this whole application process, so much more stressful than when i applied to uni the first time.

No problem! Think I'm going to wait until the end of next week then give them a call. I sent it in on something like the 6th Jan but they didn't say they'd received it until the 20th so the end of next week will be 6 weeks from then! They said it typically takes 4 to 6 weeks for a decision but I'd like to know!!

Tell me about it, I ended up having three interviews in three days back in December and it was so stressful! Especially having to wait until around Christmas for decisions! I'm glad it's over and done with now!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by fc93
No problem! Think I'm going to wait until the end of next week then give them a call. I sent it in on something like the 6th Jan but they didn't say they'd received it until the 20th so the end of next week will be 6 weeks from then! They said it typically takes 4 to 6 weeks for a decision but I'd like to know!!

Tell me about it, I ended up having three interviews in three days back in December and it was so stressful! Especially having to wait until around Christmas for decisions! I'm glad it's over and done with now!

Posted from TSR Mobile

If they take 6 weeks for mine then I won't know until 30th March, that's so far away! I had three interviews in a week with two back to back days which was intense. Good luck with it all, would love to hear when you actually get a response and what they say about your APEL if possible :smile:
I've just gotten an offer yesterday for KCL as well! I've only just had the selection days for my other two choices so I'm still waiting to find out if I have interviews for those. I'm in a dilemma now about whether to just withdraw the applications or at least keep one as an insurance in case the APEL goes wrong
Reply 19
Original post by allthatjas94
I've just gotten an offer yesterday for KCL as well! I've only just had the selection days for my other two choices so I'm still waiting to find out if I have interviews for those. I'm in a dilemma now about whether to just withdraw the applications or at least keep one as an insurance in case the APEL goes wrong

I think its always best to have a backup just in case. If i didn't, I reckon I would be panicking so much. When I had received an offer from King's and my second choice uni I withdrew from the rest and begun my APELs. As King's take a while to get back to you regarding your APEL I would also do your back up uni one also (unless it has a deadline really far in the future, but mine overlapped). What other unis have you applied for?

Quick Reply

Latest