The Student Room Group

Manchester University A100 (2017 entry)

Scroll to see replies

Had my interview this morning came out thinking ah that was ok actually but keep overthinking my answers now :frown: , everyone was really nice! Defo speak to applicants and the medical students it puts you at ease and takes your mind off what's ahead, good luck everyone else !
Reply 781
Anyone here have their interview this morning, 9.30am? Felt overall the interview went okay, some stations went great and then a couple seemed a bit shaky ahhh
I feel like i'm overthinking every tiny thing tho lol, but i guess that's why it's good to have the MMI format because you start fresh each time.

Generally i liked the university and the medics who help out on the day are really nice and friendly, definitely puts you at ease.

Good luck to everyone who has an interview coming up!
Original post by AZ98
Anyone here have their interview this morning, 9.30am? Felt overall the interview went okay, some stations went great and then a couple seemed a bit shaky ahhh
I feel like i'm overthinking every tiny thing tho lol, but i guess that's why it's good to have the MMI format because you start fresh each time.

Generally i liked the university and the medics who help out on the day are really nice and friendly, definitely puts you at ease.

Yeah which group were you in? A or b?
Had my interview today, anyone else in cycle 3? How did you find it? The interview was generally ok but some weird questions

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AZ98

I feel exactly the same so don't worry! All we can do now is wait and hope we've done enough :smile:
Has anyone got a clearer idea as to whether the curriculum is PBL, CBL or EBL? I keep finding contradicting info online and I'm just really confused
Reply 786
Original post by Meght123
Yeah which group were you in? A or b?

errm i was actually in group c hahaa
or o make it clearer; section c, cycle 1

Are we talking about the same thing when we say group? I'm going off what it says on those stickers we got given..
Reply 787
Original post by essie1234
I feel exactly the same so don't worry! All we can do now is wait and hope we've done enough :smile:

Yeah i agree, back to the all too familiar waiting game 😭 I'm glad i'm not the only one who felt like that towards the interview! That gives me a bit of hope i guess 😅

Did you also have your interview today?
Reply 788
Original post by kayasparkles
Has anyone got a clearer idea as to whether the curriculum is PBL, CBL or EBL? I keep finding contradicting info online and I'm just really confused

I was speaking to one of the medics at the interview today and he was saying it's known as PBL and that's what everyone at manchester knows it as - traditionally it is manchester that's known for doing pbl in the first place. I really don't think this is something you should worry about, as it is CBL is very similar to PBL as there's the same idea behind it and i'm sure none of the interviewers would penalise you for saying one or the other. Personally i'd stick to pbl as current students always refer to it as that.

As a side note, the medic i was talking to said they're changing up the approach they have at manc and have slowly started integrating more lectures in and give you more support now, than they did a few years ago. So it is still pbl style, but before it was much more independent learning than it is now, they're giving more guidance and having more tutor input to help direct you so you know you're learning the right things etc. Just thought i'd add that in if anyone wanted a clearer idea of how self directed the course is.
Reply 789
Original post by kayasparkles

@AZ98 has it right

I wrote earlier in the thread regarding this too. I'll paste it below:

PBL/CBL are essentially the same thing. You have a problem/case and you get cues from that and go away and learn that. You have a tutor present in the discussion to ensure you're not going off track and looking into things you don't need to. And you have lectures throughout the week. Along with resources online for that week. To sort of guide you. So it's both. But then I think they're both the same thing anyway.

As a Manchester Medical Student, I can confirm that the Med School refer to it as PBL. That's how it's referred to on all the documentation. All the paperwork/timetables/emails. It's PBL. If you refer to it, refer to it as PBL.
Reply 790
Original post by medicapplicant
Had my interview today, anyone else in cycle 3? How did you find it? The interview was generally ok but some weird questions

Posted from TSR Mobile

What time did your interview start - after all the briefing etc? I was in cycle 1 so not much good there haha 😂

Agree 100%, felt overall it was okay but at the same time they had some unique questions in there.

have you had interviews anywhere else or do you have more lined up?
Original post by AZ98
What time did your interview start - after all the briefing etc? I was in cycle 1 so not much good there haha 😂

Agree 100%, felt overall it was okay but at the same time they had some unique questions in there.

have you had interviews anywhere else or do you have more lined up?

It started at 1.30 I think 🤔
Yeah it was definitely one of a kind, so different from Exeter and newcastle ones.
Haven't got any more lined up waiting on georges for an interview,
What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 792
It started at 1.30 I think 🤔
Yeah it was definitely one of a kind, so different from Exeter and newcastle ones.
Haven't got any more lined up waiting on georges for an interview,
What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ohh mine was in the morning at 9.30 so we deffo were not in the same cycle.

I second that, it was way different to the ones i had at hull-york and newcastle aswell. Not sure how to feel about that but i guess there's no point thinking about that now lol, it's over and done with.
So you've had 3/4 interviews now - well done! I've had 3 interviews too and have one coming up at QMUL/Barts in 3 weeks. Really hate this waiting thing now though, not knowing if i did well enough at interview to get any offers is killing me :frown:
Original post by AZ98
Ohh mine was in the morning at 9.30 so we deffo were not in the same cycle.

I second that, it was way different to the ones i had at hull-york and newcastle aswell. Not sure how to feel about that but i guess there's no point thinking about that now lol, it's over and done with.
So you've had 3/4 interviews now - well done! I've had 3 interviews too and have one coming up at QMUL/Barts in 3 weeks. Really hate this waiting thing now though, not knowing if i did well enough at interview to get any offers is killing me :frown:

completely understand how you feel the wait is hard but im just trying to focus on revision for mocks. Goodluck with your upcoming interview :smile:
Reply 794
completely understand how you feel the wait is hard but im just trying to focus on revision for mocks. Goodluck with your upcoming interview :smile:

Thank you :h:
Yeah that's the best way to go about it - those interviews are done and your grades are important so stay motivated and get the grades you need. Even if you don't get an offer this year if you get those grades you can always take a gap year and re-apply.

Good luck to you too for hearing back from unis/st george's!
Reply 795
Does anyone know about the scoring system for interviews and what percentage you would need to obtain an offer
and no AS levels taken .

I am in lower sixth. My sixth form college do no do AS levels. Doing 4 A levels at the moment but planning on dropping one at the end of lower sixth and carrying on with 3 A levels.

Has anyone applied with who is doing just the 3 A levels and not done AS levels at the end of lower sixth.
Original post by spock2000
and no AS levels taken .

I am in lower sixth. My sixth form college do no do AS levels. Doing 4 A levels at the moment but planning on dropping one at the end of lower sixth and carrying on with 3 A levels.

Has anyone applied with who is doing just the 3 A levels and not done AS levels at the end of lower sixth.

I know a few people who have, and it hasn't made much difference. Everybody in your year group will be in the same position, don't worry.
Original post by dkfalling
I know a few people who have, and it hasn't made much difference. Everybody in your year group will be in the same position, don't worry.

Good luck to those of us with our interviews today***** guys!! :-)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending