The Student Room Group

Need help on best UK universities for English Literature?

Hii, I'm an Italian student who wants to attend university in the UK. I would like to study English (and American as well) literature, but in general I love reading and among my preferences you can find also foreign authors such as Dostoevsky, Tolstoy (I LOOVE Russian literature!), Kafka, ecc..
I'm currently attending "classical high school", where students here in Italy learn Latin and Ancient Greek combined with literature, so it wouldn't be a problem to study classics too, if university required it. As a non - English student, I'm really confused on what university I should choose, since I don't know any, and what I am asking now is serious help about what department is the best regarding the study of English literature.
I would prefer studying in England but in the end it's okay even to study in Scotland/Wales/Ireland because I'm just looking for the best and for what could assure me a great job after the degree.

What do you think is the best university for me, considering all I've said?
(Don't worry about my grades, for now)

Thank you for in advance for your help and for reading this post.
Original post by MarthaG_
Hii, I'm an Italian student who wants to attend university in the UK. I would like to study English (and American as well) literature, but in general I love reading and among my preferences you can find also foreign authors such as Dostoevsky, Tolstoy (I LOOVE Russian literature!), Kafka, ecc..
I'm currently attending "classical high school", where students here in Italy learn Latin and Ancient Greek combined with literature, so it wouldn't be a problem to study classics too, if university required it. As a non - English student, I'm really confused on what university I should choose, since I don't know any, and what I am asking now is serious help about what department is the best regarding the study of English literature.
I would prefer studying in England but in the end it's okay even to study in Scotland/Wales/Ireland because I'm just looking for the best and for what could assure me a great job after the degree.

What do you think is the best university for me, considering all I've said?
(Don't worry about my grades, for now)

Thank you for in advance for your help and for reading this post.

I'm not really sure what you're asking. But Oxford, Cambridge, UCL, Durham and St Andrews all have very good literature degrees. Google "English Department [university name here]"; there should be a list of undergraduate modules available on the department website, have a read and ask yourself if this university's modules match your interests. If you want to study a lot of foreign literature then it might be a good idea to combine English with Classics or Modern Languages, or maybe even Comparative Literature.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Snufkin
I'm not really sure what you're asking. But Oxford, Cambridge, UCL, Durham and St Andrews all have very good literature degrees. Google "English Department [university name here]"; there should be a list of undergraduate modules available on the department website, have a read and ask yourself if this university's modules match your interests. If you want to study a lot of foreign literature then it might be a good idea to combining English with Classics or Modern Languages, or maybe even Comparative Literature.

Hi, thanks a lot for your answer, I'm asking for a little help in what could be the best university for me, if someone could only suggest or recommend me one after reading what I've written here, because I have to pick as soon as I can and I don't know which one provides the subjects I would like to study. x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
UEA teaches a range of different European literatures, for instance there is a module in russian literature. And generally a really great range of European/American/English literature.
Very good in rankings and world renowned reputation for its English literature and creative writing department.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending