The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9180
Original post by sr90
He's on a long contract on big wages, and West Ham would want Β£25-30m for him as a minimum. As good as he is he's 30 in March, who is going to pay that? Certainly nobody in the Premier League

On the subject of West Ham... some YouTubers broke into their stadium. Unbelievable how **** their security is

Didn't a boro get stabbed by a West Ham fan yesterday?
Original post by sr90
He's on a long contract on big wages, and West Ham would want Β£25-30m for him as a minimum. As good as he is he's 30 in March, who is going to pay that? Certainly nobody in the Premier League

Premier League is surely the only place that would pay that. Maybe PSG
Original post by sr90

Β£25-30m is literally nothing nowadays - as Difeo said, most PL clubs would pay that and I'm sure PSG would too.

Yes Payet is turning 30 but he's obviously peaked late and the quality he provides is unreal. The amount of times he's single handedly bailed out West Ham/France is ridiculous.
Lewis Hamilton is an arrogant whiny little cry baby ****.
Original post by SA-1
Didn't a boro get stabbed by a West Ham fan yesterday?

Photo doing the rounds on Twitter of some idiot carrying a knife, looks about 14.

The FA either need to dock points or put the games behind closed doors until the mess gets sorted out. Their owners tried to do everything on the cheap but if you pay peanuts, you get monkeys. God knows how they'll cope when 6,000 Chelsea fans turn up in a few weeks for the cup.
Original post by Louis.

Thoughts on Rory asking for the fan that told him to 'suck a dick' to get ejected

Ryder Cup is brilliant - just can't beat team sports
Original post by Kenan and Kel
Thoughts on Rory asking for the fan that told him to 'suck a dick' to get ejected

Ryder Cup is brilliant - just can't beat team sports

Think Golf fans getting rowdy is hilarious. Looking forward to Elijah Wood starring in the film.
Original post by Louis.

Verstappen is worse tbh.

I get bored with F1 now because Mercedes are stupidly better than the rest of the field. I don't like Hamilton or Rosberg so I don't care which wins the Championship.

It's basically like Scottish football...
Bravo is hilarious!

Definitely gonna gift a few teams a goal this season...
Reply 9189
Hamilton's got a point though. Getting boyed by Mercedes this season.
Original post by Rk2k14
Hamilton's got a point though. Getting boyed by Mercedes this season.

Unluckiest driver on the field.

The only way Rosberg can ever beat him over a season is through immense luck, which he just so happens to be getting.

Conspiracy tbh
Can someone more sept in the world of economics wade in on a thought I'm having?

What's the point in the "living wage" have massive bumps in price outside of inflation? Wouldn't it be a case of companies have to pay employees more so in turn they'll jack up their prices? So people may have more coming in but just as much more now going out. Isn't it all relative?
Original post by The Wavefunction
Can someone more sept in the world of economics wade in on a thought I'm having?

What's the point in the "living wage" have massive bumps in price outside of inflation? Wouldn't it be a case of companies have to pay employees more so in turn they'll jack up their prices? So people may have more coming in but just as much more now going out. Isn't it all relative?

Not sure if that part of the question makes sense?

The living wage is just a re-brand from the minimum wage but obviously also an increase. You need those on the minimum to earn enough otherwise they will be dependent on the welfare state. I think globalisation has meant that the same isolated viewpoint doesn't work - just because wages go up and therefore costs for some companies go up, it's not for all the goods/services we consume (i.e. those from outside the country) but you want to encourage all to be spending more for the economy to grow?
Original post by Zerforax
Not sure if that part of the question makes sense?

The living wage is just a re-brand from the minimum wage but obviously also an increase. You need those on the minimum to earn enough otherwise they will be dependent on the welfare state. I think globalisation has meant that the same isolated viewpoint doesn't work - just because wages go up and therefore costs for some companies go up, it's not for all the goods/services we consume (i.e. those from outside the country) but you want to encourage all to be spending more for the economy to grow?

Yeah, I was confusing myself writing it, so wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't make sense reading it.

Basically, is there any point in increasing the minimum wage as surely companies will just raise prices to accommodate paying staff more? That's what I should have asked, and what I believe you've answered, thanks.
Original post by The Wavefunction
Yeah, I was confusing myself writing it, so wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't make sense reading it.

Basically, is there any point in increasing the minimum wage as surely companies will just raise prices to accommodate paying staff more? That's what I should have asked, and what I believe you've answered, thanks.

The other point is that those who are well off/rich, don't spend everything they have as they like to save. So if you give a middle class person an extra Β£1000-5000, they will probably just squirrel it away.

Whereas there are many more people on minimum wage, so even a small or decent increase, means when multiplied by the sheer number of people it impacts and that those people are more likely to spend it all = more money being spent/circulated which also aids the economy.
Reply 9195
MPS and MPC.
Reply 9196
Really don't understand the London Underground.

It feels like they just need a reason to go on strike.

Everyone suffers when these lazy, selfish mother****ers decide that they need to go on strike.

Another might be on the horizon
Original post by SA-1
Really don't understand the London Underground.

It feels like they just need a reason to go on strike.

Everyone suffers when these lazy, selfish mother****ers decide that they need to go on strike.

Another might be on the horizon

They have a lot of control over who can apply for jobs/the better jobs so by controlling the supply of workers, not only do they have a lot of influence over TFL but it also means they can encourage their members to strike whenever the unions want to.

Since the tube is a very public service, they strike knowing that it costs TFL a lot of money and annoys people, to try and get TFL to cave to their every demand.
Reply 9198
Original post by Zerforax
They have a lot of control over who can apply for jobs/the better jobs so by controlling the supply of workers, not only do they have a lot of influence over TFL but it also means they can encourage their members to strike whenever the unions want to.

Since the tube is a very public service, they strike knowing that it costs TFL a lot of money and annoys people, to try and get TFL to cave to their every demand.

It's ridiculous tbh. TFL workers have better employment packages than most workers out there, and still act like some sort of abused victims of an unfair system.

Imagine nurses, doctors, physios etc went on strike on every opportunity? I know that physiotherapist wages did not increase in line with inflation for at least 4-5 years, and I believe it's something similar with OTs.

****ing annoying bunch of ******s
Original post by SA-1
It's ridiculous tbh. TFL workers have better employment packages than most workers out there, and still act like some sort of abused victims of an unfair system.

Imagine nurses, doctors, physios etc went on strike on every opportunity? I know that physiotherapist wages did not increase in line with inflation for at least 4-5 years, and I believe it's something similar with OTs.

****ing annoying bunch of ******s

Yea but they do it because they're able to get away with it.

Most people would happily take their jobs on those salaries/conditions but it's such a closed shop. They rarely advertise jobs for TFL since it gets snapped up internally. I think it's been years since they last advertise.

Should just sack them all *grumbles*

Latest