The Student Room Group

My school is absolutely useless

(edited 6 years ago)
Yeah I get the same, it's what schools do to make us work harder instead of the teachers.
Sounds like our system. I got a perfect score on everything apart from biology. Our biology teacher doesn't even speak a great deal of engoish however she is brilliant at setting homework (!). It is generally take these learning objectives which we haven't met in ckass and go meet them. Because she is so useless I take extra care to do the homework as I know it will help me.
So i get my report and my homework and attitude to learning are bith a 2. 1 in all other subjects and you can't get a 1 in attitude to learning without a 1 for homework. So I ask the teachet which homework I'm missing. The answer: none.
Then why did you give me a 2 which means usually not a 1 which means always then?
It wasn't so much the fact I got a 2 that was frustrating so much as that
a) Our books hadn't been collected in for months so how does she know I haven't dine my homework
b) many other members of my class who hadn't done their homework ( amd regularly advertised this) got a 1

Som basically all this was to say I feel your pain! We have a progress review day tomorrow based on this report and my form tutor (who is also rubbish) will ask about this missing homework which is non existent. Knowing him I'll probably also end up with a target of getting a 1 in all my subjects as well which I can't control as this teacher does not do it by the rules so it is impossible to work out what we have to go to get it. It's so frustrating!
Funnily enough, I had parents evening last night... My tracking system is also flawed and I basically look like a failing student

At my school we had Target grades and aspirational grades. Based on KS2 results my target grade is a B1 due to three levels of progress. The numbers beside the letter stand for how high of a B or whatever grade it is... So a 1 is a top B, 2 is a solid B and 3 is a bottom B. My aspirational target is an A1 and because I'm predicted A3's I'm given a T- and therefore look like to be a failing student. Luckily I'm out of that school in a few months so I'm happy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by _chloeematt
Funnily enough, I had parents evening last night... My tracking system is also flawed and I basically look like a failing student

At my school we had Target grades and aspirational grades. Based on KS2 results my target grade is a B1 due to three levels of progress. The numbers beside the letter stand for how high of a B or whatever grade it is... So a 1 is a top B, 2 is a solid B and 3 is a bottom B. My aspirational target is an A1 and because I'm predicted A3's I'm given a T- and therefore look like to be a failing student. Luckily I'm out of that school in a few months so I'm happy

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you by any chance go to Hampton?

Posted from TSR Mobile
My school has a similar system as well and, like yourself, it has angered me to the point where I have even doubted my abilities. Not exactly a great way of motivating students, is it?
Anyway, as hard as it might sound - and, believe me, I've had to swallow plenty of bitterness - just ignore your school. As Frank Gallagher brilliantly put it in Shameless, 'it's data, NOT information'. Too many schools nowadays are dependent on computers, thinking that they will enable to be on the top of the coveted league tables - what ignorance!
Anywah, well done with your grades and carry on doing what has helped you perform so well up until this point - you'll have the final laugh come Result's Day, I'm sure!
Original post by DamnDaniel2
Do you by any chance go to Hampton?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, I go to a school in West London

Posted from TSR Mobile
No, I go to a school in West London

Posted from TSR Mobile

so what skl r u gonna go to?
have u heard from other skls?
Reply 8
Get you parents involved.
Original post by Helpmepickone
so what skl r u gonna go to?
have u heard from other skls?

I'm planning on moving for Sixth Forms, and yes I've competed against schools from North London so I know some schools

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm planning on moving for Sixth Forms, and yes I've competed against schools from North London so I know some schools

have u heard back from the schools you applied to?
Bro it happens to us all.

I've been having reports covered in red, negative comments, stupidly unrealistically low predicted grades, and even emphasised teachers comments for years. 7 Years to be exact.
Everyone around me always had perfect reports, yet guess who, after all that, was the only one to get an Oxbridge offer...

Ignore them. Reports means nothing, it's a schools way of motivating you. They don't actually mean anything. You can tell as usually different teachers will give you different report scores, despite you putting in the exact same effort, and scoring the same, in both subjects. Schools are stupid, but that's only because "those who cannot do, teach".
Yeah my teacher predicted me a C in Biology because they didn't want me to go to another sixth form except theirs (knowing I wanted to do biology at a-level and knowing there's not a chance in hell i'd be getting a C). The sixth forms I applied to saw it as odd because all my other predictions were A's and A*'s, and so my parents phoned in to make them change my biology grade to what I'm actually predicted and not some fake grade to keep me in. After I got accepted into all 4 sixth forms, including one private, the school dragged me in their office pleading me to stay lmfao (even though they don't even offer a-level French and it's like my most confirmed in terms of what I want to do at a-level)

so dumb
Yea, it happens. Apparently, it's to motivate me, because I didn't do well in the December mocks.
However, I just got A*A*A in my mocks I just had for Biology, Geography and Chemistry respectively.

The corresponding predicted grades for this set of mocks were BA*B.
Considering the fact that I got a high A in AS Biology, I would need a D (I think, unsure if I calculated it right, is it 70% overall?) in A2 to even get a B.
I just got over it, as I want to prove them wrong.

I guess they don't want to overpredict me, like what happened with my GCSE and AS results. Especially with my GCSE ones.

Quick Reply

Latest