The Student Room Group

Do I really need a laptop?

Okay, here's the deal guys. I'll be doing computer science at uni, and I don't have a laptop. I have a more-than-powerful enough PC at home (which is close to my uni anyway), and an iPad (to which I can just attach a keyboard for notes etc if I needed to). So do I really need a laptop at uni? Surely anything power hungry wise, I can do at home like programming etc, anything light can be done on my tablet. Is there something I'm missing? Or do you actually keep a laptop handy during programming lectures? This may be a dumb question overall, but I just wanna be sure I need a laptop before I go buying one. Thanks!
Er... you're doing computer science at University.. I'm pretty certain you will need a laptop... Some applications(compilers/assemblers) simply aren't compatible with MacOS/iOS devices so yes get a laptop. You'd rather be safe than sorry. I would definitely keep a laptop handy... but I'm an A-level student so what do i know xD... Pretty certain its useful to have a laptop at CompSci lectures having been to a few
Nope you do not need a laptop. Nonsense!!! I do ICT and share most of my modules with Computer science... None of them use a laptop just the odd chinese person with there Apple. Theres no reason for a laptop unless you like to type notes... In which I started doing but then stopped as the information wasn't going into my head... Therefore you don't 'need' a laptop in my opinion.

You will have labs which have state of the art technology on the pc's.
Original post by urbanlocations
Nope you do not need a laptop. Nonsense!!! I do ICT and share most of my modules with Computer science... None of them use a laptop just the odd chinese person with there Apple. Theres no reason for a laptop unless you like to type notes... In which I started doing but then stopped as the information wasn't going into my head... Therefore you don't 'need' a laptop in my opinion.

You will have labs which have state of the art technology on the pc's.

Okay this dude knows what hes talking about... Ignore me xD I'll just... go now :bricks::bricks:
Original post by someboady
okay this dude knows what hes talking about... Ignore me xd i'll just... Go now :bricks::bricks:

move ur ass boy :wink:
Reply 5
Ermm you cant take your computer with you :s-smilie:
Reply 6
Original post by ikhan94
Ermm you cant take your computer with you :s-smilie:

yes you can
Original post by ItsMJ
Okay, here's the deal guys. I'll be doing computer science at uni, and I don't have a laptop. I have a more-than-powerful enough PC at home (which is close to my uni anyway), and an iPad (to which I can just attach a keyboard for notes etc if I needed to). So do I really need a laptop at uni? Surely anything power hungry wise, I can do at home like programming etc, anything light can be done on my tablet. Is there something I'm missing? Or do you actually keep a laptop handy during programming lectures? This may be a dumb question overall, but I just wanna be sure I need a laptop before I go buying one. Thanks!

Yes you 100% need a laptop especially as a CS student. Your labs have computers you can obviously use but that will restrict you to coding in either at your home and labs. Sometimes it is useful to try something during the lectures where computers aren't provided. Or even if you go to hackatons or join a society where you need a laptop like robotics/hacking etc or maybe working on a group project in the library, loads of cases where having a laptop will be useful

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you have a powerful PC,buy a mid range laptop with Windows and around £400-£450

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
You don't need one. A PC will do fine and you'll have computer labs.
You don't 'need' a fast PC either... You're not going to be writing or compiling millions of lines of code.

A laptop will be beneficial if you don't like working at home. I prefer to move around while working so a PC isn't the best option. Instead I have a laptop which I connect to an external monitor(when I feel like working in my room).

Lectures: Taking notes on paper is 100x easier and 100x better. Thats what I think at least.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending