The Student Room Group

Computer science laptop

Hi, joining university for computer science this September and looking for a new laptop.

Any recommendations for an affordable laptop which will be helpful for the course.

Thank you
Reply 1
You should ask your university first what laptop would be best for your course, as you might have specific requirements.
Original post by Jonesc457
Hi, joining university for computer science this September and looking for a new laptop.

Any recommendations for an affordable laptop which will be helpful for the course.

Thank you
Hi!

I was in the exact same boat a couple of years ago. To be honest unless your course has specific requirements (you can email to ask but for comp sci i doubt it) then really all it needs to do is to run a browser, word and visual studio. If in your final year you have massive programs that your laptop can't handle there will be computers on campus for you to use but really a general laptop will be fine.

I looked for an i7 processor and 16GB of RAM as well as a numpad but honestly the specs were probably a bit of overkill. I'd recommend getting a keyboard that you enjoy typing on, the right sized monitor for you and a numpad (if you like to use one).

I hope this helps a little and if you have any more questions please feel free to ask! 🙂

- Jessica
2nd year, Computer Science (Artificial Intelligence)
Original post by Jonesc457

Thank you
Hi,

Firstly, congratulations on embarking on your computer science journey at university this September! It's an exciting time filled with new experiences and challenges.

When it comes to picking a laptop, most should handle your workloads, but there are a few specs worth considering. I'd recommend opting for a laptop with an SSD (standard in most now), a minimum of 8GB RAM (though 16GB is preferable for handling multiple tabs), and a solid 6-core processor to help with multi-tasking.

In my case, I've always been more of a desktop person. Interestingly, at the University of Salford, we have this option to borrow laptops for up to a week. It's been a lifesaver for me, especially during group projects or when I'm away from my usual setup.

On the off chance you encounter some resource-intensive software, your university likely provides computers and laptops to assist. Don't hesitate to check in with your lecturers or fellow classmates for recommendations or similar services at your university.

If you have more questions or need further assistance, feel free to reach out. Best of luck with your preparations for university!

Best Wishes,
Arslan (2nd Year Computer Science)– University of Salford Student Representative
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending