The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey!

TSR has a wiki with a section on this:

http://thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine#Course_Structure

I'm sure it can explain it better than I can. ^_^
You can't compare them. Most PBL courses (in fact, I would say all) are integrated.

As far as I'm aware, integrated courses incorporate some clinical experience from first year. So there's basically no defined study/clinical split like at St Andrews or Oxbridge.
Reply 3
The comparrisons are;

PBL - Lecture
Systems - Subjects
Integrated - Split

(if that helps)
yeah - for pbl you basically learn how to treat patients without much understanding, whereas if you do a scientific course you learn both how to treat patients and why things happen they way they are.
Reply 5
tyrosine_kinase
yeah - for pbl you basically learn how to treat patients without much understanding, whereas if you do a scientific course you learn both how to treat patients and why things happen they way they are.
Ah but of course, that's why medical schools across the country are rushing to convert to purely lecture taught courses... :rolleyes:
no! really renal... I always hear from doctors (inc consultants) complaining that their med schools have been changed from preclinical/clinical divide to a (exact words!) 'dumbed down lump them all together one'.
Reply 7
Yes, but I'm fairly willing to bet that when you hit clinical, you still won't know enough for your consultants.
Hehe an Oxford TSR rookie, I wonder how many toes will be trodden on. :p:
I'm being kind because they're probably not aware of how harsh you lot are sometimes :wink:
Reply 9
He's definately not aware of how close the bitch whacking stick is.

I do object sometimes to having my intelligence questioned. :wink:
Reply 10
tyrosine_kinase
What would you know about what we get taught in PBL?! :rolleyes:
sorry - I actually have the materials from a PBL school.
Reply 12
tyrosine_kinase
sorry - I actually have the materials from a PBL school.

Because all PBL schools are the same? You might have some of the materials from one school it deffinately doesn't enable you to comment on all PBL course.
Reply 13
"I have in my hand a piece of paper!"

Lectures, for those unaccustomed to the technical language, are a guy standing in front of you talking. He can say anything he wants in whatever depth he wants and they can call that "Course delivery". I mean, he could explain all of aerobic respiration. He might be talking with a thick, incomprehensible accent into his shoes and you might be only decoratively awake but you can still say that at this university you are taught aerobic respiration in more depth than anywhere else. I mean, he went through every enzyme involved, its genomic location and who discovered it. No one was listening, no one gives a crap and its of no clinical relevence but they did it.
OH GOSH! Lecturers/teachers whom one cannot understand! One of the most annoying things on the planet!
Reply 15
Bet it never happens at cambs... :rolleyes:
Renal
Ah but of course, that's why medical schools across the country are rushing to convert to purely lecture taught courses... :rolleyes:

the fact it is moving the opposite way is in no way indicative that it is a right move now is it?

given all the blatantly wrong changes in the NHS at the moment i figure thats a pretty iffy presumptive bit of sarcasm you have going on there.
Reply 17
Renal
Bet it never happens at cambs... :rolleyes:

What the hell has Cambridge done to you this week?

Yes, tyrosine kinase's assumptions about PBL are wrong. But why the continual need to slag us off? And no need to be so hostile to someone new to the place who isn't aware quite how carefully you have to tread. Unless you're Oxbridge-bashing, of course, in which case it's a free-for-all.
Reply 18
Helenia
What the hell has Cambridge done to you this week?

Yes, tyrosine kinase's assumptions about PBL are wrong. But why the continual need to slag us off? And no need to be so hostile to someone new to the place who isn't aware quite how carefully you have to tread. Unless you're Oxbridge-bashing, of course, in which case it's a free-for-all.

In all fairness tyrosine kinase isn't just a newbie who has made some slightly off comments some of the comments he has made about PBL have been pretty insulting and I think people have every right to be a bit deffensive. I am not saying it is ok to oxbridge-bash just that I can see why they are being defensive.
Reply 19
It does really annoy me that everyone assumes that people who do PBL don't gain understanding from it! I've found that it is completely the opposite.

At BL (I think) lectures promote fact recall and PBL promotes understanding. Perhaps this is just the way we are tested here. But they work together [here] anyway, we cover the facts in lectures and then look at it in context in PBL. And unless you have been here in some capacity, I don't think you have grounds to slag it off. We've already established that there have been no good studies on it... [in some other thread running atm]

Latest

Trending

Trending