The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Flash video sites is far more effective. Especially as more and more of them get uploaded to the internet in efficient streaming divx through stage6 or similar websites (say, veoh)

If you are busted for piracy by downloading rather than viewing, it isn't nice. And there's very little room to do it. Think there is a bandwidth cap of 1gb a week.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
papakhan
guys... whats the piracy situation in ucl house internet, can we use torrents normally, private torrents to be more specific. how do you guys get your fix of tv shows

i assume you can

i just use ares/rapidshare
Reply 3
1 gb cap, youre killing me
whats the quality like on veoh
divx quality, ie. good enough to watch on whatever monitor you've got

And really, 1gb is fine. Provided you actually get a life at uni and stop watching so much bloody tv. Or at the very least, watch it with other people.
Reply 5
dont stereotype people for the amount of tv they watch
papakhan
dont stereotype people for the amount of tv they watch

Don't cry now.

But really, come uni, you'll find better things to do with your time than watch any kind of substantial number of TV shows on religious weekly basis. Or you're really missing out/disrupting your social life.

Unless, you start becoming one of those who bases their social life around TV. At least it's a social life.
Reply 7
President_Ben
Don't cry now.

But really, come uni, you'll find better things to do with your time than watch any kind of substantial number of TV shows on religious weekly basis. Or you're really missing out/disrupting your social life.

Unless, you start becoming one of those who bases their social life around TV. At least it's a social life.

thanks for the heads up:s-smilie:
Reply 8
Okaayy..

Anyway, on a more practical note; does this mean downloaded music (illegally) is a big 'no no'?
Ryands

Anyway, on a more practical note; does this mean downloaded music (illegally) is a big 'no no'?

Won't get caught, probably. Depends if you use software that does uploading too and whether or not that software saturates bandwidth.
Reply 10
would a site like www.tv-links.co.uk work for those of who that are familiar with it.
basically streams from dailymotion or VEOH and similar.
gotta get my simpsons update hehe :biggrin:
Reply 11
I see..Important Question For Present Ucl Students as a thread so I click thinking it could be literally something important regarding an application or something....or maybe something like cheapest place to drink..and its...how can I download TV shows. Ha. Well that still is an Important Question
Reply 12
u mention cheap drinking in there :smile: gotta tive u respect for that, but tv shows are important too for the student without a tv-licence :wink:
Reply 13
How does viewing on e.g. veoh mean you won't get in any trouble as opposed to downloading?

As long as I can get my weekly Lost supply on TV-links between Feb and May each year, its all good...
Reply 14
well veoh and tv-links.co.uk ur just watching it in an online stream. . someone else is just broadcasting the link, it's not like u own it. it's not on ur hard disk and apparently that is legal. if u look on tv-links.co.uk's rules they don't mention anything about streaming being illegal, .
Reply 15
Oh OK, I always thought it was cause TV-links link you to videos. They don't actually upload illegal videos themselves and so could never be done for it.

But it stinks, I don't have Sky so can't see my beloved Lost. In America, ABC let you watch the eps for free online anyway (but you need a US IP), so if push came to shove I'd just get an onion mask thingy or something and watch it legitimately.
Reply 16
Onion mask?
I´m weirded out and also strangely curious.
Reply 17
Haha, I meant onion routing. Its where you can like keep your IP and location anonymous, thereby overriding ABC's rejection of non-US IP users on their video section. See e.g. Torpark
Reply 18
Is that a decent program? I am so sick of the ABC and CW websites telling me I'm not worthy to view their material.
Reply 19
CountOlaf
Is that a decent program? I am so sick of the ABC and CW websites telling me I'm not worthy to view their material.

No idea how good the program is, I just saw it while researching. I basically just asked one of my mates who is a school technician about it, and he just said get onion routing. At first I was all like "K... oohh they have onions on computers now!"

Latest

Trending

Trending