The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Scroll to see replies

shady lane
Although I would say that at LSE, the Americans and Canadians aren't particularly rich

Lol that's a matter of point of view ain't it? They all pay between 9K to 12K (depending on the course) a year just for their tuition fees, the vast majority of people attending uni can't afford to pay that sort of money and only a few parents would accept to pay that sort of cash i.e the ones who can afford to, the rich ones.

Most students from continental Europe pay the same fees as home students hence why, if they are quite rich, they throw a lot of cash around.
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
my dept. is full of people from asia and the middle east. most have government funding. the university loves it and the students love it. 4 years work of incredibly high tuition fees, plus additional costs of purchasing photocopies etc. (though, in all fairness, i think international fees are high compared to home student fees on the grounds of government subsidies? - am I right anyone???)
Reply 22
shady lane
My parents believe in me...and it's cheaper to do an MSc in the UK than it is in the US! Although I would say that at LSE, the Americans and Canadians aren't particularly rich, while the students from continental Europe and other parts of the world are usually loaded. It's more common in the US for parents to support their children's education, so people are willing to take loans out for their kids.

Sounds like America has a screwed up education system to be honest. In such a system, I could see my parents being forced to pay for my education through mortgaging their house or something. Did you also have to pay for your undergrad course?

But then again, if it was going to cost so much, I couldn't see myself on an MSc. Your parents still sound rich lol.
Reply 23
The Boosh
my dept. is full of people from asia and the middle east. most have government funding. the university loves it and the students love it. 4 years work of incredibly high tuition fees, plus additional costs of purchasing photocopies etc. (though, in all fairness, i think international fees are high compared to home student fees on the grounds of government subsidies? - am I right anyone???)

I don't think the unis are subsidised so much, but are just simply required by law to have lower fees for British students as, afterall, the unis are supposed to exist for British students.
oh ok. unis get cash from the government for british undergrads, but im never sure how the postgrad system works given how the big fee divide exists
At LSE home and overseas students pay the same for the MSc.
Yeah sorry, my point was for undergrad education. (woops I just realised I'm on the postgrad sub-forum, I shouldn't be here lol)

Home student and overseas students pay the same fees at LSE...Kind of explains why there are hardly any home students who study postgrad degrees at LSE, nobody except overseas students can afford the tuition fees!
Reply 27
The Orientalist
Yeah sorry, my point was for undergrad education. (woops I just realised I'm on the postgrad sub-forum, I shouldn't be here lol)

Home student and overseas students pay the same fees at LSE...Kind of explains why there are hardly any home students who study postgrad degrees at LSE, nobody except overseas students can afford the tuition fees!

That's the case only in taught degrees. There are still tuition differences b/w home and overseas students doing research degrees at LSE.
omg!!! i didnt know home students paid such fees at lse!!! i was in the process of applying to lse a few years ago and i dont remember the huge fees. has it always been the case?
LSE degrees are not value for money at all. However, the brand name holds so much weight.
Pernell Whitaker
LSE degrees are not value for money at all. However, the brand name holds so much weight.

They are excellent value for foreign students; like I said, UK masters degrees are much cheaper than US ones. For anyone wanting to study in an English language university, that means LSE is pretty bargain compared to the States.

For UK students--LSE is a very internationally oriented university as it is, from the courses it offers to its student body. If British people don't want to go to LSE for postgrad, thousands of others do. It's not really a loss to anyone. Besides, I love the fact that my peers are so international.
yEA
shady lane
They are excellent value for foreign students; like I said, UK masters degrees are much cheaper than US ones. For anyone wanting to study in an English language university, that means LSE is pretty bargain compared to the States.

I wouldn't imagine that a master's at the LSE is as good as a master's at any of the top ten US schools.
Well the top 10 US schools don't really offer taught masters in the subjects LSE teaches, so it's not a good comparison. Most of the courses on offer (like Columbia's SIPA) pretty much require work experience. It's pretty much PhD or a professional-type masters, rather than academic taught courses like the UK has.

And to be honest, I find it ridiculous that you are slating LSE--if they'd offered you a scholarship you'd be sending your forms in as we speak.
Reply 33
Most of my friends who have or are studying overseas either worked incredibly hard to win scholarships or scrimped and saved to fund their year or two doing a masters. One even took a large loan which he is repaying back by working at a Wall Street law firm for a couple of years. 'Internationals are rich, that's why they can go to the LSE' is just another misleading generalisation.
shady lane
And to be honest, I find it ridiculous that you are slating LSE--if they'd offered you a scholarship you'd be sending your forms in as we speak.

I'm not slating them. I said:

"I wouldn't imagine that..."

AND

"They're not value for money..."

WHILST ALSO SAYING

"The name brand holds so much weight..."

I don't see that as slating the LSE, rather, merely stating the consensus view.
Reply 35
Oi, how has this become another 'sla shady ane' thread!

In essence, I've decided to hold off making a deision by accepting Oxford for now and waiting for results before making my final decision about UCL. Since there's a chance I won't make the Oxford offer anyway, I think letting results decide is ok-ish. The UCL offer is for a 2.2, so there's no worries there

Latest

Trending

Trending