The Student Room Group

Peugeot 206 goes forward instead of reversing?

Ok so occasionally when I'm going to park, I put it in reverse but it just goes forward until it stalls. I first discovered this when I was parking in a car park. I then put the clutch in and went back into reverse but it just carried on going forward into a stall. In the end I just had to move off again and redo the park, but when I turn the engine off and on again it's fine. At first I thought it was because I was going into 4th which would explain the stall but it doesn't make sense. It happened again in tesco when I wanted to reverse to correct my parking but it also went forward + tyre screeching? It happened again 2 days ago I was parallel parking. I keep making sure that it's not in 4th and I go back and forth from neutral to reverse to make sure but it doesn't work until I restart the car. Has anyone else's car or peugeot done this? I'm getting my dad to look at the car but it's a weird one. It is a relatively old car, got it from a previous female owner who was 17 and she managed to hit a lot of things including scrape the kerb so hard the hubcap squashed and god knows what else lol.

Appreciate any comments.
(edited 7 years ago)
I have a feeling something is wrong with the gearbox. Maybe its not going into reverse and its slotting the mesh into 4th?
Id take it to a garage though to get it fully checked out!
If shes hit a lot of things, that could have something to do with it!
She doesnt sound like the best driver and might have ****ed the gearbox!
Original post by FireFreezer77
I have a feeling something is wrong with the gearbox. Maybe its not going into reverse and its slotting the mesh into 4th?
Id take it to a garage though to get it fully checked out!
If shes hit a lot of things, that could have something to do with it!
She doesnt sound like the best driver and might have ****ed the gearbox!

I agree that she might of messed it up, it's due for MOT at the end of the month anyways. Cheers for the reply.
My Polo would go forward like it was in first gear when I would reverse. Took it to the mechanic and he tightened a few nuts near the gearbox or something and it fixed it. Literally took him 5 minutes at most to figure out what was going on and fix it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending