The Student Room Group

Girl talk - prom!!

OKAY so my prom is next month, but I have not got a prom dress. Where have you girls bought your prom dresses because there are so many websites that don't seem legit?

SO, any websites for prom dresses ladies?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey gal!
I'm in year ten, but am probably going to buy a black - almost gothic prom dress!
If you think that the websites don't seem legit, maybe look for reviews of the particular website. Or go out and buy a dress!
Original post by stressedwbu123
OKAY so my prom is next month, but I have not got a prom dress. Where have you girls bought your prom dresses because there are so many websites that don't seem legit?

ASOS is my go-to site. I and most of my friends got our dresses from there and their free returns policy is awesome.
You can also go out and buy one from high street stores - I got mine from one of the brands in New Look!
Reply 4
I bought my dress from axparis.com, personally, i love some of the prom dresses on there. Especially as they're fairly cheap compared to most places and you can return it if you don't like it/doesn't fit. My friends have bought theirs from places like Debenhams and House Of Fraser. Hope this helps :smile:
Try searching for fursuits on Amazon. Apparently, they're the height of fashion right now. :smile:
Reply 6
I used http://www.shinydress.co.uk/ to buy my dress. It might be one of the ones that doesn't look legit but the dresses are tailor made and the fitting was quite nice. I had no problems at all. :h: The only thing is though that they're based in Hong Kong or something so it takes a couple of weeks for your dress to arrive...
maybe look in stores first as many websites can get away with all sorts and it's quite close to have problems like that!
Thank you beauties!
Original post by Platopus
ASOS is my go-to site. I and most of my friends got our dresses from there and their free returns policy is awesome.

Girl, asos is mine too! I was just looking for more websites but damn great minds think alike!
When I had my prom 3 years ago I got my dress from Lipsy :smile: I saw it in the shop first but eventually had to order it off their website. Only downside was that it was delivered by yodel and their rep is terrible so I was worried it would never arrive. Not sure if they still deliver items through them though
so girls, I have NO IDEA on how to apply makeup whatsoever nor do I have much. my proms in a little over 2 weeks so should I buy some makeup products and practice or book someone to do professional makeup on me? itll cost around £80 for the artist, do you think thts too much for one day and it being prom? and if I do buy makeup instead, whats the necessities you hava had? ive seen girls apply so much powder
Girl, asos is mine too! I was just looking for more websites but damn great minds think alike!

Honestly, I've looked at so many but at the end of the day I always come back to ASOS. The only annoying thing about them is that the best stuff goes out of stock so quickly. I had to wait weeks for my prom dress to come back in in my size.

Other good websites I have found are:
-Missguided
-Lipsy
-Rare (though they take a month to refund you from the date they receive your return and you have to pay return postage)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by mygcserevision
so girls, I have NO IDEA on how to apply makeup whatsoever nor do I have much. my proms in a little over 2 weeks so should I buy some makeup products and practice or book someone to do professional makeup on me? itll cost around £80 for the artist, do you think thts too much for one day and it being prom? and if I do buy makeup instead, whats the necessities you hava had? ive seen girls apply so much powder

Hey girl! If you inbox me I'll help you! I absolutely love makeup, I'd be happy to help.
Hey girl! If you inbox me I'll help you! I absolutely love makeup, I'd be happy to help.

thankyou! I turned off my pm when I made this account and don't know how to turn them on again... :colondollar: do you think these setting powders, bases and primers are needed? what even is a primer for? is there anything to even out skin tones? Also, ive got quite dark circles around my eyes so how will I make any eyeshadow applied visible without it looking like I got punched hehe
Original post by mygcserevision
thankyou! I turned off my pm when I made this account and don't know how to turn them on again... :colondollar: do you think these setting powders, bases and primers are needed? what even is a primer for? is there anything to even out skin tones? Also, ive got quite dark circles around my eyes so how will I make any eyeshadow applied visible without it looking like I got punched hehe

Is there any other way to contact or talk to you other than student room haha! I love makeup.

The importance of primers are to make the skin feel very moisturized before applying the actual makeup, it also makes the makeup stay on much longer. Although, you do not have to spend money on primer, a simple cheap moisturizer will do! After primer/moisturizer, it is foundation, I recommend Loreal or Maybelline if you are at a budget as they only cost 8-11 pounds. After foundation, concealer is used to hide dark circles. However, if you have extreme dark circles then a colour pigment is needed, which is usually a coral toned colour. After applying the coral toned pigment, you just apply the concealer and blend blend blend! Setting powder however is needed to put over the concealer as it would crease if you do not do this. After the base, you can warm your skin with bronzer, contour your nose, cheeks and highlight your face! Then, a little blush would do and the job is done.

If you'd like to wear eyeshadow, it's important to do this as your first step because fall out would be pretty messy! When working with eyeshadows, its important to work with a gentle hand and to avoid dark colours if its your first time. It's important to use light colours in your crease, for example brown tones, rather than painting all your eyelid in black! If you need any help with eyeshadows, please let me know I'd be happy to help.
I'm clueless about make up, but tbh I'm so pale I can't be bothered with foundation. My sister is really good with nail art and has been nagging me to let her do mine for ages, so that's sorted! I got my dress from Coast which was expensiveish but almost nothing compared to the amounts that some people seem to spend.
i wthink i will get a nice babey blue 1 as its my favarite color

Well, i looked on the internet and came across this website as shown below,

http://www.quizclothing.co.uk/s:tongue:rom+dresses/?search=prom+dresses

u could try and see if the dresses are any good :smile:
Virgos lounge have the most gorgeous dresses.

Quick Reply

Latest