The Student Room Group

how to deal with this type of guy?

so this guy has recently been texting me a lot. we're friends, and i texted him back, to keep the conversation going. i wouldn't text him especially often, just replying to his messages. However, over the past week he's been texting me a LOT MORE. i'm talking 17 messages while i was offline. if i go online to reply to anything, even my mum, he'll always add a new message. i want to be his friend, but it's kind of hard to be friends with such a needy person. what should i do?

Scroll to see replies

He sent 17 messages before you responded? Unless that is an exaggeration, then there isn't a way to salvage a friendship from this situation right now. He's in too deep to be just friends. For his sake you're better off making clear you aren't interested and reducing contact.
what he said
17? I think he wants you
Have you bought this up to him in discussion? I feel like your silence is egging him on..
Original post by 1582
He sent 17 messages before you responded? Unless that is an exaggeration, then there isn't a way to salvage a friendship from this situation right now. He's in too deep to be just friends. For his sake you're better off making clear you aren't interested and reducing contact.

no exaggeration :frown: he actually sent 17 messages, feel pretty bad.
Original post by Anonymous
Have you bought this up to him in discussion? I feel like your silence is egging him on..

i try and reply in short answers, and then gi offline ASAP, but he normally comes online, sends me 4 or 5 messages, sometimes more, then i'll try and stay off my phone to avoid texting him. i don't want to lead him on, but ignoring him would be really bad. :frown:
i try and reply in short answers, and then gi offline ASAP, but he normally comes online, sends me 4 or 5 messages, sometimes more, then i'll try and stay off my phone to avoid texting him. i don't want to lead him on, but ignoring him would be really bad. :frown:

You shouldn't need to plan your phone activity around another person. Be direct and tell him you're not interested. As long as you keep replying he's going to think he still has a shot. It'll hurt for him at first but ultimately it is what is fairest for both of you.
Original post by Riotriot
17? I think he wants you

mhm, last year he told me he liked me, and i rejected him. he kept persistently talking to me, so i decided to give him a chance at being friends. he's a nice guy, and i want to be friends but, multiple other friends have suggested he's into me. idk what to do without hurting him. another problem, is he chose 9 out of 10 of the same gcses as me, so i'll most likely see him in at least some of those classes :frown:
yeah, i guess. he also interrupts my conversations a lot, so often if i see him approaching, i have to keep talking as much as possible so he cant jump in. doesn't stop him from doing it anyway, and he also guilt trips me a bit. we were drawing self portraits in art, he kept telling me "omg i'm so ugly", then i said" its fine" , and he said "omg but u look so much better than me and you're a great artist", i didn't know how to respond :'( i feel bad for the guy but idk how to sort the situation
mhm, last year he told me he liked me, and i rejected him. he kept persistently talking to me, so i decided to give him a chance at being friends. he's a nice guy, and i want to be friends but, multiple other friends have suggested he's into me. idk what to do without hurting him. another problem, is he chose 9 out of 10 of the same gcses as me, so i'll most likely see him in at least some of those classes :frown:

You will need to create your boundaries. You should tell him (and you have to do this otherwise you’ll be suffering) politely that you’re not comfortable with the constant messages and you’d like to create some boundaries between you two. If you don’t even like him as a friend then don’t force anything and just stop being his friend. I know it’s easier said than done cause you think you’ll be rude or make things awkward but it’s not. It’s your life! You are allowed to choose who you want to surround yourself with and let into your life
yeah, i guess. he also interrupts my conversations a lot, so often if i see him approaching, i have to keep talking as much as possible so he cant jump in. doesn't stop him from doing it anyway, and he also guilt trips me a bit. we were drawing self portraits in art, he kept telling me "omg i'm so ugly", then i said" its fine" , and he said "omg but u look so much better than me and you're a great artist", i didn't know how to respond :'( i feel bad for the guy but idk how to sort the situation

There is NO way this is going to stop unless you tell him yourself. And if he doesn’t listen to that then cut him off cause he has no respect for your boundaries
yeah ok, thank you! it's just kind of hard to completely cut him off, he's in every single one of my classes, sits beside me in like 4 classes, is part of my friend group, and is extremely clingy. i'll try and talk to him about it, but i did that last year, and he still kept chatting. :/
yeah ok, thank you! it's just kind of hard to completely cut him off, he's in every single one of my classes, sits beside me in like 4 classes, is part of my friend group, and is extremely clingy. i'll try and talk to him about it, but i did that last year, and he still kept chatting. :/

What exactly did you tell him last year? I know it might feel awkward having to see someone you’re not comfortable with everyday, trust me I know that feeling very well but sometimes you have to do these things even if it feels very uncomfortable at first.

Damn, boy was fishing. I'm glad you didn't cave and compliment him.

He can't be "just friends" with you. Not right now. Maybe after the summer holidays, if you'll still be in the same classes then, but he's too emotionally attached as things currently are. You don't need to talk to everyone in your class/friend group - be civil/polite, but don't invite or encourage conversation.

If you're looking for a way to phrase it: "We can't be friends while you still have feelings for me."
Also since you’ve told him before, I wouldn’t care too much about being polite cause he obviously doesn’t seem to respect your boundaries so you don’t owe him your politeness. Just tell him how it is and be blunt. He’s obviously taking advantage of your kindness whether he is conscious of that or not. Good luck.
(edited 1 year ago)
What exactly did you tell him last year? I know it might feel awkward having to see someone you’re not comfortable with everyday, trust me I know that feeling very well but sometimes you have to do these things even if it feels very uncomfortable at first.

so last year he told me i like you, wanna go out? and i said no sorry i'm not into you, nor mature enough to date someone ( i was 12 at that point, it was early second year), and he said ok. it was awkward for around a month, and then he started texting my friend, asking her out too. he started talking to me about my friend, i said i'm not going to talk about her behind her back, and then he started tryna talk about his hobbies and stuff. i told him i wasn't into that kind of stuff, but he just keeps telling me about his hobbies. i didn't listen, and then he made friends with some of my friends, so we were in a group setting together. he just kept persisting, and no matter how hard i tried to let him down gently, he still talked to me.
Original post by 1582
Damn, boy was fishing. I'm glad you didn't cave and compliment him.

He can't be "just friends" with you. Not right now. Maybe after the summer holidays, if you'll still be in the same classes then, but he's too emotionally attached as things currently are. You don't need to talk to everyone in your class/friend group - be civil/polite, but don't invite or encourage conversation.

If you're looking for a way to phrase it: "We can't be friends while you still have feelings for me."

yeah but at the moment, he'll probably try and text me the entire summer anyway. ://
so last year he told me i like you, wanna go out? and i said no sorry i'm not into you, nor mature enough to date someone ( i was 12 at that point, it was early second year), and he said ok. it was awkward for around a month, and then he started texting my friend, asking her out too. he started talking to me about my friend, i said i'm not going to talk about her behind her back, and then he started tryna talk about his hobbies and stuff. i told him i wasn't into that kind of stuff, but he just keeps telling me about his hobbies. i didn't listen, and then he made friends with some of my friends, so we were in a group setting together. he just kept persisting, and no matter how hard i tried to let him down gently, he still talked to me.

Wait, how old are you now?
Also since you’ve told him before, I wouldn’t care too much about being polite cause he obviously doesn’t seem to respect your boundaries so you don’t owe him your politeness. Just tell him how it is and be blunt. He’s obviously taking advantage of your kindness whether he is conscious of that or not. Good luck.

yeah i guess, i've thought about blocking him but he would get really offended. obviously won't do that, that would be a bit rude.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending