Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi TSR, I'm a second year 6th Form student applying for 2017, and I wanted to ask about the usefulness of the History and Politics joint honours degree? I love History and really want to read it at Uni, but I also love Politics and am really interested in it. I've looked at many History and Politics joint honours courses and I would love to apply for it, but some people in my life have told me that it's a useless degree, that it isn't well respected and I'd be way better off just doing the single honours History course.
    Is any of this true? If so it'll probably influence my choice of degree, as I'm really anxious about wasting my time and money on something that wouldn't be respectable and give me good prospects for future careers.

ReputationRep:
    I am in the same boat completely , i myself have heard similar things , because history is a strong degree and politics may be seen to bring it down but ATM i believe by taking politics as well i will have a wider range of course options.

I have applied for COVENTRY , which recently turned my offer to unconditional and UEA , which is a foundation year humanities first which they said once completed moving to do HISTORY AND POLITICS BA is easy so i am just contemplating the two

ReputationRep:
    History... Politics... History and Politics.. It doesn't matter. Employers won't look down on you because you did an extra subject. They care more about you, the skills you gained, the work experience you did, etc..

So do whichever one you prefer.

(Original post by CDaden)
    I am in the same boat completely , i myself have heard similar things , because history is a strong degree and politics may be seen to bring it down but ATM i believe by taking politics as well i will have a wider range of course options.

I have applied for COVENTRY , which recently turned my offer to unconditional and UEA , which is a foundation year humanities first which they said once completed moving to do HISTORY AND POLITICS BA is easy so i am just contemplating the two

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Legendary Quest)
    History... Politics... History and Politics.. It doesn't matter. Employers won't look down on you because you did an extra subject. They care more about you, the skills you gained, the work experience you did, etc..

That is what i thought

ReputationRep:
    That is what i thought
    Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Good luck.
    Thanks what uni are you/were you at and what was/is the subject

ReputationRep:
    Thanks what uni are you/were you at and what was/is the subject
    I'm going to study History and Politics at *a* university. I just completed my A2s.

ReputationRep:
    When it comes to non-STEM subjects like Politics, History, Sociology, Economics or, say, Business, it's all about the university.

A History and Politics degree from Oxbridge is worth more than a STEM degree from non-Russell Group university. Politics or History are worth more from, say, LSE or UCL than an Economics degree from Sheffield or Manchester.

You can search through unistats.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to study History and Politics at *a* university. I just completed my A2s.
    same , just realised though that i don't know what the course spec for coventry is though .... probably should have looked

ReputationRep:
    same , just realised though that i don't know what the course spec for coventry is though .... probably should have looked
    Yeah, with History there is so much you can do so each university has many different modules. I just glanced at the Coventry website and it seems as though they have a nice variety of modules which is great for you. It's best to try and find out precisely what they have on offer so it matches your interests.

ReputationRep:

This.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.