The Student Room Group

Getting back into football after about three years out - how to ease my way back in

Hey,

So I've just finished A Levels and want to get back into football. I used to play at quite a high standard until I quit a few years ago. I played casually last summer and in the past few days and strangely enough I haven't lost my touch - I can still dribble past 3 players in quick succession etc, have a good shot on me and decent passing accuracy. One thing I lack, however, is my stamina, if I run around for a while, since my fitness is low, I'm usually aching for a day or two after.
Shall I warm up etc before I play?

I really it is really not that deep aha but I'm personally just trying to enjoy myself and get my fitness back up, so I can play to quite a high stanrd again.
as long as you remember how you trained with and without the ball at your feet you should be fine, otherwise, do your research
Original post by bassala
Hey,

So I've just finished A Levels and want to get back into football. I used to play at quite a high standard until I quit a few years ago. I played casually last summer and in the past few days and strangely enough I haven't lost my touch - I can still dribble past 3 players in quick succession etc, have a good shot on me and decent passing accuracy. One thing I lack, however, is my stamina, if I run around for a while, since my fitness is low, I'm usually aching for a day or two after.
Shall I warm up etc before I play?

I really it is really not that deep aha but I'm personally just trying to enjoy myself and get my fitness back up, so I can play to quite a high stanrd again.

Play with your friends at the park match,free kicks, world cup singles etc.

Because thete will be no pressure you should ease into football
Reply 3
Cardio is your friend. Go to the gym, start running, go swimming, do some cycling, or good old fashioned interval training.

These will all help you build your stamina, and the aches and pains will go once your body gets used to it.
Reply 4
What about warming up? The usual stretches etc?
Original post by bassala
What about warming up? The usual stretches etc?

Yeah that's obvious, not warming up properly means you get injured

Quick Reply

Latest