The Student Room Group

Do I need Law experience to study Law?

I just finished year 11 and I want to study law,all my life i've wanted to do medicine so I have two weeks of work experience in a hospital. However now I want to study law but I have no experience. Does anyone have any advice on things I can do to get into Law (particularly UCL but any advice will be helpful) Thanks.
Original post by GCSEstudentt
I just finished year 11 and I want to study law,all my life i've wanted to do medicine so I have two weeks of work experience in a hospital. However now I want to study law but I have no experience. Does anyone have any advice on things I can do to get into Law (particularly UCL but any advice will be helpful) Thanks.

Experience isn't necessary for gaining admission to an undergraduate degree course, no. It might be something which you can discuss on your personal statement, but other than that, it is not required.
However, you might find that doing some experience (e.g. working in a local solicitor's firm, or going to a local court to observe) will be insightful, so you should do it if nothing is stopping you.

I got an offer from the university you mentioned and I did do some work experience in a court, which I mentioned briefly in my personal statement. I think that you should focus on your reading - to gain knowledge which you can put across in your statement. (i.e. discussing a few points of law or books in your personal statement will make a good impression, if well-articulated and not superfluous.)

Other than that, focus on getting your grades to where they need to be. I hope this helps. :h:
Original post by Pokémontrainer
Experience isn't necessary for gaining admission to an undergraduate degree course, no. It might be something which you can discuss on your personal statement, but other than that, it is not required.
However, you might find that doing some experience (e.g. working in a local solicitor's firm, or going to a local court to observe) will be insightful, so you should do it if nothing is stopping you.

I got an offer from the university you mentioned and I did do some work experience in a court, which I mentioned briefly in my personal statement. I think that you should focus on your reading - to gain knowledge which you can put across in your statement. (i.e. discussing a few points of law or books in your personal statement will make a good impression, if well-articulated and not superfluous.)

Other than that, focus on getting your grades to where they need to be. I hope this helps. :h:

Thank you so much! So to get experience in a court did you apply yourself or did your college arrange it? Any tips on how I could get something similar? :smile:
Thank you so much! So to get experience in a court did you apply yourself or did your college arrange it? Any tips on how I could get something similar? :smile:

I arranged it myself during GCSEs. But if you speak to your college careers advisor they can probably sort it out for you, or you can do it yourself if you enquire at your local court. Perhaps speaking to your college first would help though, they can guide you through the steps to take. :smile:
Reply 4

You don't need experience, but you'll need a good English grade at least. :wink:
Reply 5
Nope not required at most places, helpful but not required.
Reply 6
It's not a requirement for studying law, however if you're thinking of becoming a solicitor or barrister I would always encourage it.

Work experience is a great way of experiencing a legal environment, finding areas of practice you enjoy and it's a great way of asking people about their experiences.

If you're interested in gaining some legal work experience, try contacting a local firm to ask for a couple of days. As you're 16 presumably, there may be limits on what you can do/see, but it's still a good chance to find out more about the career. You could also sit in the public gallery of your local magistrates or crown court to observe a trial. I personally found this to be a really interesting and accessible way of engaging with the legal sector.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending