The Student Room Group

All A-levels in Year 12?

Scroll to see replies

I'm going with what Peterhouse say here and doing S1 and S2. I'll probably also take D1. Even though it's boring and not useful for anything, I've already studied it (during Year 11 maths lessons as I'd already done my GCSE maths). It's also the only other AS module left - if I were to replace it, I'd have to replace it with a (presumably harder) A2 module.

I can't really study much other than Maths and FM at the moment as I'm not sure if I'll take Physics or Spanish. If I decide on physics, I'll probably cancel the whole 'do-it-all-in-one-year' thing as the workload would be too much, and leave Physics till Y13 And if I leave Physics till Y13, I might as well leave FM until then too. If doing everything in Y12 means having no life for the whole year, I'd rather not.

If I left some exams to Year 13, I'm considering getting my school to allow me not to attend that year. I could still do the exams, just without the burden of lessons and homework. I've already studied some A2 FM, and could continue with that (and physics) this year, just leaving the exams until Year 13.

If I do Spanish, though, I'm fairly confident I can do it all in Y12 without TOO much stress.

At the moment, my only real motivation for doing everything in Y12 is simply to have more time in Y13 (which wouldn't really be 'Year 13', I suppose, as I wouldn't be in school). I don't particularly want to apply to university next year, as I would save 0 time in that scenario.

I feel like if I don't do everything next year, I'd regret it in Y13. In Y11, I had only 9 GCSE exams when most other people had almost twice that, and yet I pretty much had no life due to revision from mid-March onwards. I didn't really have much of a life at all for the whole of Year 11 - I went completely crazy with controlled assessments and did a lot of the work for them at home. I also spent about 130 hours revising for an hour-long history exam. I definitely regret concentrating all my efforts on a small number of GCSEs instead of doing more AS exams in Y11 (which would have enabled me to finish school much more easily in Year 12).

So after year 11, don't want to devote another year of my life completely to schoolwork. But also I feel like I could get more free time overall over the next 2 years by finishing everything next year. That's my motivation for doing it - if someone can convince me that this isn't a good reason, I probably won't go ahead wit my idea of doing everything in Year 12. My motivation isn't to improve my chances of getting into a good university or anything like that.

So yeah, those are my thoughts at the moment.

Thanks to everyone by the way for helping me think things through.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest