Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I have an interview tomorrow with Carphone Warehouse and the manager on the phone said there was 3 things that would be involved

1. A competency interview
    2. Selling him my own phone, why I have it etc
    3. He will observe me in the store conversing with other members of staff and customers in the store.

I am ok with 1 and 2 (I think) but 3 has me a bit mystified with what they are looking for.
    It is a store within a store, so he said on the phone about how I would talk to customers in the other store, but I feel this will be a bit tricky, as my knowledge of phones isn't anywhere near an expert level, so asking a customer if I could help them, only to say "well, actually, I can't help you with that" seems a bit funny.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had to do anything similar for an interview, and what you are supposed to do exactly?
    Obviously I would ask the manager when I get in what it involves exactly, but just wondering if anyone here has any experience of this.

Thanks
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by A_Babcock)
    Hi there,

I have an interview tomorrow with Carphone Warehouse and the manager on the phone said there was 3 things that would be involved

1. A competency interview
    2. Selling him my own phone, why I have it etc
    3. He will observe me in the store conversing with other members of staff and customers in the store.

I am ok with 1 and 2 (I think) but 3 has me a bit mystified with what they are looking for.
    It is a store within a store, so he said on the phone about how I would talk to customers in the other store, but I feel this will be a bit tricky, as my knowledge of phones isn't anywhere near an expert level, so asking a customer if I could help them, only to say "well, actually, I can't help you with that" seems a bit funny.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had to do anything similar for an interview, and what you are supposed to do exactly?
    Obviously I would ask the manager when I get in what it involves exactly, but just wondering if anyone here has any experience of this.

Thanks
    You won't actually be going as far as selling anything to customers. You'll be more likely asking them if they need any help, referring them to staff when you can't answer questions, that kind of thing. You should be able to do the basics of suggesting a few phones for their needs and showing them where the odd thing is etc. They'll see how you get on with the staff and how confident you are in talking to people. That's largely what it's about. The knowledge comes in more in the second part.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chelseadagg3r)
    You won't actually be going as far as selling anything to customers. You'll be more likely asking them if they need any help, referring them to staff when you can't answer questions, that kind of thing. You should be able to do the basics of suggesting a few phones for their needs and showing them where the odd thing is etc. They'll see how you get on with the staff and how confident you are in talking to people. That's largely what it's about. The knowledge comes in more in the second part.
    Ah ok, that makes more sense. Thanks very much for your reply!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.