The Student Room Group

Why are American Students superior?

I attended a university that engaged heavliy in US->UK exchange, and the uni likes to think that it teaches the cream of the crop (ish) from both countries. Now I took several Econ, politics, maths and IR classes, and in the majority of cases the only thing that saved the class from becoming a series of awkward silences occasionally interrupted by the teacher shuffling their papers was the vocality, flair and charisma of that lone American exchange student sitting in on the class.

Now my question: Why is this? Why do so many British/EU/Asian students sit around jaded and unable to respond to basic questions while American exchange students are more often than not bursting to contribute? Is there a difference in college climate? Do admissions in the US place greater emphasis on extra-curriculars and personality? Does anyone else get this impression? Any thoughts appreciated.

(I should point out that unlike domestic students, American exchanges receive a grade for class participation. However, this only counts for a very small share of their final score, and liveliness and creativity are hardly things that can be forced with grades.)

Scroll to see replies

Short answer: it's just the culture of American higher education.

I think I study where you did, and I'd agree that's also the case in my MSc course. Other students think I'm a genius because I talk a lot; and I'm certainly not one. I'm just American :p:
Reply 2
I don't think it's because they're American but because they're exchange students. You'd probably see the same thing from the lone Brit in an American classroom.
Yes! I get this exact same impression (from American exchange students at school, not university). I think the Americans have just somehow got it right. Probably something to do with the American 'culture', or their education system. Also their university admissions do indeed place much greater emphasis on extra-curriculars and personality. When I interviewed with some American universities they were very interested in leadership and outside activities, almost more so than academics. At Oxford however they were concerned only with academic ability. Americans may not be as specialized as Brits but they seem a helluva lot more interesting.
Reply 4
shady lane
Short answer: it's just the culture of American higher education.

I think I study where you did, and I'd agree that's also the case in my MSc course. Other students think I'm a genius because I talk a lot; and I'm certainly not one. I'm just American :p:

I was hoping you might respond to this thread, and indeed we are talking about the same place.

So by "culture" do you mean that at American universities even shy kids are encouraged a lot more to be vociferous, or that being argumentative is simply part of growing up in the States?
Reply 5
all of my classes require participation (which i hate). participation is often worth about 10-15% of the final grade. it can be difficult when you're expected to participate in a class with 200 people. at least it's difficult for me. some teachers even set aside 2% of the grade for "chutzpa" or "cajones." It does make the classes more interesting. and it's always fun if we can get a good debate going. the only problem is that it encourages everyone to talk- even those people who really don't need to share every thought that pops into their head.
Davetherave
I was hoping you might respond to this thread, and indeed we are talking about the same place.

So by "culture" do you mean that at American universities even shy kids are encouraged a lot more to be vociferous, or that being argumentative is simply part of growing up in the States?

The competition to get into good universities is fierce in the US, as is the competition to get a good GPA. The type of students who do an exchange in the UK at a good institution are looking to make themselves stand out and add to their CVs. So it follows that they're the more outgoing, ambitious type of person.

In all my my sections (i.e. classes) and seminar classes in undergrad, you'd get 3-5 people desperate to speak every time the professor or TA paused. I actually had one class that was 3 hours long and the professor didn't speak for more than 10 minutes; the rest was student debates and discussions. In one seminar, we actually ganged up on the professor and spent 2 hours grilling him on his positions! That's what type-A Americans do. That's also why we get a reputation for being pushy and loud. I guess it's a trade-off.
Reply 7
shady lane
In one seminar, we actually ganged up on the professor and spent 2 hours grilling him on his positions! That's what type-A Americans do. That's also why we get a reputation for being pushy and loud. I guess it's a trade-off.

So what do you think is better? Teacher-led classes where every student contribution is like squeezing blood from a stone (and where the teacher might himself run out of ideas eventually), or participation-driven classes that run the risk of teaching nothing other than debating skills?
Reply 8
KwungSun
So what do you think is better? Teacher-led classes where every student contribution is like squeezing blood from a stone (and where the teacher might himself run out of ideas eventually), or participation-driven classes that run the risk of teaching nothing other than debating skills?

In my experience most learning is done outside the classroom anyway, so might as well have classes that are actually fun and worth going to school for (ie student-driven)
Reply 9
It depends on the students, the tutors and the course I suspect.

I'm in the UK, and my cohort does have a bit of a reputation for always talking, asking questions and not shutting up - we do tend to side track quite a bit (but relevant side tracking.

Though we did scare one lecturer (from a different area of the school who had come in to do a lecture) by ending up talking about oral sex, chocolate and cigarettes - all relevant, but he was a bit shocked

Of course now we're in the third year they all know us (or at least the reputation) - though we were in a joint lecture with the cohort below us and it was only us contributing - so maybe it's just us as a group (no Americans)
2late
Today, 11th July, results were published...

Well, after having done 2 out of 15 accounting homeworks, 5 out of 14 economics homeworks, 1 out of 10 stats homeworks, 4 out of 10 maths homeworks, and no IS143 homeworks, I managed to get a 2:2 :smile: not the best result but certainly a good one considering I thought I failed due to the lack of work I did :P Few people got 1sts (most of the ones I asked who got this were Chinese...), a couple got 2:1's and 2:2's, and 4 people I know failed.

With a little common sense first year isn't that bad :smile:

Time to work for 2nd year :biggrin:

This is a post from a student at LSE from the LSE forum. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=9245884

So are Asian students superior, or will the American students beat them if they are regular LSE students?

Interesting, that.
Davetherave
I attended a university that engaged heavliy in US->UK exchange, and the uni likes to think that it teaches the cream of the crop (ish) from both countries. Now I took several Econ, politics, maths and IR classes, and in the majority of cases the only thing that saved the class from becoming a series of awkward silences occasionally interrupted by the teacher shuffling their papers was the vocality, flair and charisma of that lone American exchange student sitting in on the class.

Now my question: Why is this? Why do so many British/EU/Asian students sit around jaded and unable to respond to basic questions while American exchange students are more often than not bursting to contribute? Is there a difference in college climate? Do admissions in the US place greater emphasis on extra-curriculars and personality? Does anyone else get this impression? Any thoughts appreciated.

(I should point out that unlike domestic students, American exchanges receive a grade for class participation. However, this only counts for a very small share of their final score, and liveliness and creativity are hardly things that can be forced with grades.)

To quote Albert Einstein:
If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut.

Also, are you sure talking more is related to intelligence? George Bush has more "vocality, flair and charisma" than Tony Blair IMO. He always call himself the commander-in-chief! But I guess he gave the world more troubles than our Tony Blair or the very tight-lipped Hu Jintao (China's President). :s-smilie:
KwungSun

That's the problem. :rolleyes:
shady lane

In all my my sections (i.e. classes) and seminar classes in undergrad, you'd get 3-5 people desperate to speak every time the professor or TA paused. I actually had one class that was 3 hours long and the professor didn't speak for more than 10 minutes; the rest was student debates and discussions. In one seminar, we actually ganged up on the professor and spent 2 hours grilling him on his positions! That's what type-A Americans do. That's also why we get a reputation for being pushy and loud. I guess it's a trade-off.

Why are they so eagar to speak? To gain points for participation is it?
Reply 14
Sorry spence but none of your posts made any sense to me.

It's not about what race is most intelligent, it's about why American students seem to be more keen to participate in class than any others. If some random LSE student on TSR knows Chinese who get good grades that's wonderful for China, but what does it have to do with anything?

Also I'd be surprised if Einstein was referring to participation in university classes, and even more surprised if non-Americans were keeping quiet because they decided to live by the word of Albert.
Reply 15
spencer11111
Also, are you sure talking more is related to intelligence? George Bush has more "vocality, flair and charisma" than Tony Blair IMO. He always call himself the commander-in-chief! But I guess he gave the world more troubles than our Tony Blair or the very tight-lipped Hu Jintao (China's President). :s-smilie:

You think George Bush has "vocality, flair and charisma?" He can barely utter a sentence without tripping over every word. Whatever your feelings about Bush are, I don't think anyone would praise his public speaking skills. And I don't think the thread starter was trying to equate speaking in class with intelligence.
Reply 16
mariahb
You think George Bush has "vocality, flair and charisma?" He can barely utter a sentence without tripping over every word. Whatever your feelings about Bush are, I don't think anyone would praise his public speaking skills. And I don't think the thread starter was trying to equate speaking in class with intelligence.

I agree that he's an oaf when it comes to public speaking, but I do think there's a certain charismatic charm to it.

This might be a stretch, but it also may be the college that the student was attending before he got to the UK. Some small schools have classes that are almost entirely discussion based. This is something that is facilitated with special round tables and such. So maybe if the student had that tradition, he'd be seen as more vocal. I'm also led to believe that the American style of teaching is based more on student feedback and discussion than its European counterparts, though I could be very wrong about this.

Personally, I think a balance needs to be found between have a lecture-style class and a discussion-based class. I've know amazing teachers that have taught me so much using both practices, though such teachers are uncommon.
Reply 17
When I was in America, I found the exact opposite-it was only me and some other mad keeno who ever seemed to want to speak in sections or class. Everyone else either sat there slack-jawed or made utterly inane contributions (sample from a sociology class: "Um,so, I thought that what happened in venezuala is like, really bad, but, I saw a really good film about it and I now think it's really cool").

Edit: I realise this post doesn't really say anything, but my 2 cents are that some of the differences could be explained by a less participatory system in the UK, where people are lectured at and go home and a more informal system at some US colleges.
Reply 18
i really think it depends on the student and whether or not they feel comfortable in the class room. i have some classes where no one talks and some where we're all fighting to get our say.

ha! good example Arkbar. recently in a Bible as Literature class we were discussing the story of Jonah and the whale, when a student shouts "OH MY GOD! the same thing happens in Pinocchio!" for some reason that realization seemed to completely change her entire worldview. in another discussion class the same girl felt the need to point out that a Milan Kundera novel was "just like" Grey's Anatomy (soap opera-like TV show) because they both have doctors in them. student participation isn't always a good thing!
Reply 19
an empty drum makes the most noise...
i think the amount of discusion is also dependent on course.
arts v science
eg if you are studying maths you cant debate right and wrong method can you?

Latest

Trending

Trending