The Student Room Group

a-level fail!

After receiving my AS level results, I can only say what a disappointment. All year I had been producing results of B's in History and when opening up my results, what did I see? a big, fat U. My school aren't letting me back in either so now I am completely stuck! If you have any advice on what i should be doing now it would be much much appreciated!
i feel your pain
is this as or a2
Reply 2
Original post by Stephangooner
i feel your pain
is this as or a2

as, guess it makes it slightly more annoying because this whole year has been a complete waste!
how many Us did you get...? you're only referring to the one you got in history - so what about the other 3?
You got a U in one out of 3 or 4 subjects and you got kicked out?
Original post by emily65
After receiving my AS level results, I can only say what a disappointment. All year I had been producing results of B's in History and when opening up my results, what did I see? a big, fat U. My school aren't letting me back in either so now I am completely stuck! If you have any advice on what i should be doing now it would be much much appreciated!

How did the exams feel at the time? Although exams are a different challenge to homework assignments and progress checks, falling from B grade work to U is a lot. Could there have been a marking problem or do you accept they didn't go well. You might want to get your papers back to see where you went wrong.

You need to get in touch with other schools and colleges in your area to see if they will take you, most likely to retake the year with new subjects or possibly BTEC. Give some thought to what you want to do after school ends and what subject combination could get you there. It is not the end of the world to start again. Two of my students did that after year 12, both just graduated this summer from uni, one with a 1st and one with a 2:1. The first has got his dream job on a graduate programme and the other will be working part time in his chosen field while doing a masters.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by sleepysnooze
how many Us did you get...? you're only referring to the one you got in history - so what about the other 3?

I do two btecs which i got distinctions in and the other alevel i got an e in, I needed two D's and two merits to stay on
You need 3 subjects above a U grade to move on to the a2 programme. If you only did 3 subjects, and got a U in one of that 3 then that may result in you not being able to do A2.

If I were you, think about another college, and ask them if you can do 2 A2's and 1 AS (my friend did this, it wasn't an issue as long as she was studying there full time) this way you'd have to spend 3 years at college.

Alternatively, if you're not happy with the other two AS grades that you got, and feel like you need a fresh start and get better grades, just start from AS again.

If no colleges are taking you on (which I doubt would happen) sit your exams externally at a centre. I would advise you to do this if you're an independent worker, likes to revise on their own and don't depend on teachers assistance. Or else, get a tutor!

I know how it feels to do badly, but you have time and opportunities that can help you make up for it!
Reply 8
Original post by gdunne42
How did the exams feel at the time? Although exams are a different challenge to homework assignments and progress checks, falling from B grade work to U is a lot. Could there have been a marking problem or do you accept they didn't go well. You might want to get your papers back to see where you went wrong.

You need to get in touch with other schools and colleges in your area to see if they will take you, most likely to retake the year with new subjects or possibly BTEC. Give some thought to what you want to do after school ends and what subject combination could get you there. It is not the end of the world to start again. Two of my students did that after year 12, both just graduated this summer from uni, one with a 1st and one with a 2:1. The first has got his dream job on a graduate programme and the other will be working part time in his chosen field while doing a masters.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do two btecs which i got distinctions in and the other alevel i got an e in, I needed two D's and two merits to stay on. They have offered me a place but I would have to do an EPQ, this will most probably be the same with any other school I try applying to. I wouldnt want to do this as it will not benefit me at all in the future. Personally, I would much prefer to leave and start something new, but I'm not too sure where i could go
Reply 9
Original post by AthiaKarim
You need 3 subjects above a U grade to move on to the a2 programme. If you only did 3 subjects, and got a U in one of that 3 then that may result in you not being able to do A2.

If I were you, think about another college, and ask them if you can do 2 A2's and 1 AS (my friend did this, it wasn't an issue as long as she was studying there full time) this way you'd have to spend 3 years at college.

Alternatively, if you're not happy with the other two AS grades that you got, and feel like you need a fresh start and get better grades, just start from AS again.

If no colleges are taking you on (which I doubt would happen) sit your exams externally at a centre. I would advise you to do this if you're an independent worker, likes to revise on their own and don't depend on teachers assistance. Or else, get a tutor!

I know how it feels to do badly, but you have time and opportunities that can help you make up for it!

That sounds like a good idea, however, school is literally one of my most hated things ever! To stay on at a college for another three years and watch all of my friends leave and actually start their lives would literally kill me!

Quick Reply

Latest