The Student Room Group

English or Biology?

Im thinking of being a lawyer/journalist/something in the business arena. For A levels im taking Business Studies, Government and Politics and Geography, but i cant decide on my last option being Englsih or Biology. Im good at Biology, but feel english will be essential for further carrer prospects, but im not excellent in english exams.
Any advice??
dunnowot2take
Im thinking of being a lawyer/journalist/something in the business arena. For A levels im taking Business Studies, Government and Politics and Geography, but i cant decide on my last option being Englsih or Biology. Im good at Biology, but feel english will be essential for further carrer prospects, but im not excellent in english exams.
Any advice??

Take English.. you're always better off. So many people today speak English, yet so many people speak it improperly. If you are going into a law profession and journalism expecially.. English is the way to go.
I did the whole english/biology thing last year and eventually decided on english lit., though my other choices were maths, physics and chemistry. I think for journalism, english would be very important.
Reply 3
Biology obviously.
Biology adds variation, certainly.

Also, Ralfskini likes Biology, so if you take it, it will make him happy, which is good. :smile:
Reply 5
Invisible
Biology adds variation, certainly.

Also, Ralfskini likes Biology, so if you take it, it will make him happy, which is good. :smile:

yup yup yup :biggrin:
Reply 6
the subject yur best at-biology, journalism is about knowing broad range of knowledge, and you'll have that with biology.
Reply 7
Biology would add more variety...but I think if you really want to do journalism, an English A-level would be very useful...just as if you were planning on doing a job in finance, you should definitely do A-level Maths.

If you're not confident you'd get a good grade in English, but you would in Biology, maybe you should do both subjects and instead drop (say) Business Studies.
Reply 8
Biology will add variety.... but is unrelated to the other subjects u will be taking... so english will be a better option...
Reply 9
To be a lawyer/journalist, English everytime. Yet, unless you have a keen ability to analyse and interpret text, English literature could be tough. For some reason our class is made up of a few As, a couple of Bs, Ds and Es... and quite a few Us.
Do English; Lit rather than Lang & Lit - as it is the more respected A-level course.
dunnowot2take
Any advice??
I did both...and I loved them....so maybe I'm not the best person to ask :frown: but since you're interested in journalism/politics perhaps English Lit is the better choice. Although you may not be excellent in English there's no reason why you can't improve. I know a few people who jumped from a C grade at GSCE to an A in the AS exams. But the important thing is that you choose something that you will enjoy and find challenging. There isn't any point studying English if you have no enthusiasm for it.
Reply 12
If you are talking about english language and lit, dump that like yesterday's garbage ! :smile: But I disagree with most people about Biology adding variety as opposed to english. English lit at A level is very analytical. I didn't take it but now i wish I had, I think it looks much better for Law.

However, if you ENJOY biology more, by all means pick that because it doesn't make that much difference. Another but: In my opinion, biology remains much the same style of learnign at A level as it did at GCSE, whereas English becomes very different and much more enjoyable. Perhaps you should try and do both if it isn't too much work :smile: ...they are both very rewarding!

Latest

Trending

Trending