The Student Room Group

affection issue

I'm not that romantic and affectionate compared to my boyfriend, I think he threw some hints how, I shouldn't be afraid to love and touch his body like he does to mine. The thing is.. I don't really know how to and just feels like the level I show isn't enough. So how do I improve?

I'm more of an observer and I show love differently, so I don't know how to meet him halfway
Original post by Anonymous
I'm not that romantic and affectionate compared to my boyfriend, I think he threw some hints how, I shouldn't be afraid to love and touch his body like he does to mine. The thing is.. I don't really know how to and just feels like the level I show isn't enough. So how do I improve?

I'm more of an observer and I show love differently, so I don't know how to meet him halfway

I think you should discuss how you are feeling with him. I am far from affectionate and the guy I'm dating has been taking things at my pace. He kind of started making little jokes about us holding handing/linking arms before our first date. On the actual date he kinda eased me into it (it's hard to explain).

I wasn't really into hand holding /arm linking and cuddling and now I am becoming really comfortable with it. I don't shy away from it and now I've started to be affectionate towards him on my own accord. I was kind of like you, clueless about the whole thing. Take it one day at a time :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by phunky_fresh
I think you should discuss how you are feeling with him. I am far from affectionate and the guy I'm dating has been taking things at my pace. He kind of started making little jokes about us holding handing/linking arms before our first date. On the actual date he kinda eased me into it (it's hard to explain).

I wasn't really into hand holding /arm linking and cuddling and now I am becoming really comfortable with it. I don't shy away from it and now I've started to be affectionate towards him on my own accord. I was kind of like you, clueless about the whole thing. Take it one day at a time :smile:

Thank you, he just said how i seem apprehensive at times like theres some inner conflict and that its okay. I don't know why i feel ashamed about it. And I've been more anxious in this relationship so that doesnt help.
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you, he just said how i seem apprehensive at times like theres some inner conflict and that its okay. I don't know why i feel ashamed about it. And I've been more anxious in this relationship so that doesnt help.

You should try your hardest to relax and go with the flow (easier said than done). Ask him to guide you if need be. How long have you been together?
I think you both need to meet in the middle here.

Overly affectionate verses stand offish can very quickly breed resentment on the affectionate side and feeling smothered on the stand offish side
Reply 5
Original post by phunky_fresh
You should try your hardest to relax and go with the flow (easier said than done). Ask him to guide you if need be. How long have you been together?

9 months
Reply 6
Original post by silverbolt
I think you both need to meet in the middle here.

Overly affectionate verses stand offish can very quickly breed resentment on the affectionate side and feeling smothered on the stand offish side

Its more showy than smothering. And hes held back a bit because i don't always reciprocate it. Or he doesn't know how it'll be received. And im just more minimal and intimate while he's just naturally expressive. I do try to but it takes a lot out of me because it's overwhelming.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending