The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Football match in Falmer on 10th Sept?

I'm planning to arrive at Sussex on 10th September, want to make the most of the first weekend so don't want to wait until the Sunday! I saw on the Sussex site that there's a football match in Falmer and it's advising that there might be issues, how much does football impact on campus and will it be ok to arrive well before whenever the match is? I guess lots of people are still planning to move in on the Saturday? Thanks!
You mean whenever Brighton & Hove Albion host matches? Apart from there being more people, shouldn't be a problem moving about
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Reply 2
Original post by shawn_o1
You mean whenever Brighton & Hove Albion host matches? Apart from there being more people, shouldn't be a problem moving about

I don't know much about it other than the stadium is close by and what it says here http://m.sussex.ac.uk/students/induction/ but sounds like it'll be fine!
The match starts at 3.00pm so I am getting there early to drop my daughter off and then probably go off to get supplies etc. Thats the plan

The Amex is right opposite the university campus, on the same junction so anyone coming via rail will be swamped by football supporters. The cars might be tricky if you getting there between 12pm & 3pm and after 5pm.
I don't think it will be as bad as they are making out for the majority of Saturday if you are there early enough
BTW the way you may be able to avoid the A27 junction where the Amex is is by coming on the A270 and coming off onto Stony Mere Way which brings you in past the Sportscentre but not sure if the uni will be particularly happy about that
Reply 5
Original post by Colinj451
The match starts at 3.00pm so I am getting there early to drop my daughter off and then probably go off to get supplies etc. Thats the plan

The Amex is right opposite the university campus, on the same junction so anyone coming via rail will be swamped by football supporters. The cars might be tricky if you getting there between 12pm & 3pm and after 5pm.
I don't think it will be as bad as they are making out for the majority of Saturday if you are there early enough

Thanks a lot for the info! My parents are taking me but I definitely want to get there on the Sarurday, do you think if I get there at about 11 it'll be alright? What time will you be dropping your daughter off?
Original post by MissEllieL
Thanks a lot for the info! My parents are taking me but I definitely want to get there on the Sarurday, do you think if I get there at about 11 it'll be alright? What time will you be dropping your daughter off?

The plan is for 10am haha (coming from my mothers along the coast) but I think before midday will be fine, although bear in mind you have to get out as well
Reply 7
Original post by Colinj451
The plan is for 10am haha (coming from my mothers along the coast) but I think before midday will be fine, although bear in mind you have to get out as well

I'm only coming from Surrey so not too hard! And haha I don't, my mum and dad do they can put up with the football fans :wink:
Good point, going West after 3pm might be easier (before 5pm anyway) and leaving going East should be ok before 5pm as well as straight out and down the slip road rather than having to cross back over the A27
Original post by MissEllieL

You should be fine around 11am as the football crowds will not be there yet if kick off is 3pm.

The A27 and the junction to get to the uni and stadium will be very busy in the run up to the match, but the campus itself should be fine (other than the usual crowds moving in).

If there's a need for anyone to get supplies, then there are several options, all of which may have issues getting to and from campus in the run up to kick off. There is a large Asda closest - just west on the A27. Getting on the to A27 may be tough, but once on you'll be fine. Getting back would be hard.

A few miles east on the A27 is Lewes, with various supermarkets. Again, getting there will be fine, but there could be issues with the football traffic on the way back.

Then if you head down Lewes Road towards the centre of town,there is a Sainsburys after a mile or so, then the city centre a mile or so further one. Again, I think you'd hit the football traffic on the way back, unless you time it well.
Original post by RK
You should be fine around 11am as the football crowds will not be there yet if kick off is 3pm.

The A27 and the junction to get to the uni and stadium will be very busy in the run up to the match, but the campus itself should be fine (other than the usual crowds moving in).

If there's a need for anyone to get supplies, then there are several options, all of which may have issues getting to and from campus in the run up to kick off. There is a large Asda closest - just west on the A27. Getting on the to A27 may be tough, but once on you'll be fine. Getting back would be hard.

A few miles east on the A27 is Lewes, with various supermarkets. Again, getting there will be fine, but there could be issues with the football traffic on the way back.

Then if you head down Lewes Road towards the centre of town,there is a Sainsburys after a mile or so, then the city centre a mile or so further one. Again, I think you'd hit the football traffic on the way back, unless you time it well.

Thanks a lot for the info! Hopefully 11 will mean we avoid the football crowds and give my parents a chance to get away before they start too. I'll bring a few supplies for the first few days to avoid having to go shopping anywhere on the day, wouldn't want to get stuck in football crowds and waste valuable move in day time haha, but it's very useful to have some info about shops too!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending