The Student Room Group

Fish out of water

Does anyone know how fish can survive out of water? Cause on saturday morning, I found one of the fish out of my pond on the lawn. In the pond is some large quite expensive fish, so I take great care to protect them from herrons, cats etc. It was clearly a herron that had taken the fish out sometime during the night. I was concerned, but persumed the fish was dead. Later that day, I went out and saw the fish which I was about to bury move a little. I put it back in the pond and after a few day it was back to normal, swimming arround and eating food.

I did not think fish could survive for this length of time (6 hours at least) out of water. Any explanation?

Jow
Jow
Does anyone know how fish can survive out of water? Cause on saturday morning, I found one of the fish out of my pond on the lawn. In the pond is some large quite expensive fish, so I take great care to protect them from herrons, cats etc. It was clearly a herron that had taken the fish out sometime during the night. I was concerned, but persumed the fish was dead. Later that day, I went out and saw the fish which I was about to bury move a little. I put it back in the pond and after a few day it was back to normal, swimming arround and eating food.

I did not think fish could survive for this length of time (6 hours at least) out of water. Any explanation?

Jow

Maybe it was a frog
Wow that's weird cause obviously fish don't have lungs so they can't get any oxygen from the air. Maybe they like can shut their bodies down so a certain amount of time or maybe it was just a miracle *hehe*
Perhaps it was raining during the night and it was desperatly slupring it up? I somehow don't see a human living in water for 6 hours, so it is strange.... :eek:
Reply 4
Jow
OP
MC Hawking IV
Maybe it was a frog
:confused:

It was definately not a frog...being white, quite large in size and looking like fish :smile:

Jow
Reply 5
Its the Matrix acting up again... don't you see, they are giving us clues... free your mind man, let the truth set you free...
Reply 6
Jow

Jow

the main reason why a fish dies while out of water is because the filiments in the gills stick together wheras in water the flow keeps them open allowing efficiant blood circulation, so maybe the fishes filiments were wider apart

lol OK im crazy! im gonna go and sleep but it is true
I have NO idea, but one of my fish did that. It was a cheap drain fish that I caught when I was young, and it jumped out of its bowl and was on the floor for about 8 hours. My dad dipped it in water and it kinda shuddered and went back to life. Creepy stuff.
Maybe it entered a torpor
Reply 9
rewinding back to to biolgy was it cold, because then it would have retained moisture somehow the girls might have been kept open, I would say it is mostly to do with luck!

Latest

Trending

Trending